PDA

View Full Version : Sealion!

Cloral
08-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I was on the beach today near UCSB and found this guy sitting there:
http://cloral.homestead.com/files/HPIM0023.JPG
When I took this picture I was standing about 7 feet from him. I'm a bit worried that he was injured, as there were a few other people in the area and he showed no signs of getting up and leaving. Still, it's not every day you get to stand this close to one of these guys.

Starkist
08-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Nifty. Although that picture is awfully big...

Cloral
08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
I know. That is the size the camera takes the pictures. After seeing how big it was, I went into photoshop and cut it down. Now it fits on screen and is a smaller download.

Beldaran
08-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Sealions are awful. They decimate the salmon populations and breed like crazy rabits, but they are protected by environmental laws so no one can do anything about it. After they killed all the salmon in california, they've migrated north to oregon and washington, where they are busy eliminating salmon from earth's population.

Starkist
08-21-2005, 11:44 PM
I think it was sea lions that invaded the Ballard Locks a few years back in Seattle. They would eat all the salmon that came through, migrating into the Puget Sound, so the city moved them to a different habitat. These sea lions though, being smarter than the Seattle City Council (not a difficult charge), kept migrating right back to the Locks, eager to take part in the local cuisine. Finally, the city proposed hunting the sea lions.

Animal rights and environmental groups had a collective aneurysm.

Seems that although they will oppose dams that might hurt fish, they like sea lions better.

Nice to be able to see one up close, in any case.

KJAZZ
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Ah, to think I could have been there and seen him. Bleh, I should get out of the house more. :P

Anyway, still really cool to get that close. I've only seen them at the Zoo. And I haven't been there in a long time.

Master Ghaleon
08-22-2005, 01:13 AM
The "Sealion" not to be confused by a "Gaylion" are pretty cool. Lovely pic

Breaker
08-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Sealions are cuter than salmon. They deserve to live.

Beldaran
08-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Sealions don't taste as good as salmon. They serve no use and should be hunted down to trim their ecologically destructive populations.

Also, they are not cute. It looks like a dog had sex with a walrus.

Amber
08-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Also, they are not cute. It looks like a dog had sex with a walrus.

*looks at picture again*

hmmm...

*takes a closer look*

Nope definatly cute.

And seafood's nasty anyway.

*b*
08-22-2005, 03:22 AM
seven feet? wow, that is close. they're so cute, no wonder they're protected by law

Verman
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
They serve no use

Um...no...

Actully they used to be used for alot. Fur, Oil and even meat... One of the reasons they are protected is because they were being killed off.

I think they probably were once more useful then salmon. Ever see a pair of boot made out of fish? ha!

Beldaran
08-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Um...no...

Actully they used to be used for alot. Fur, Oil and even meat... One of the reasons they are protected is because they were being killed off.

I think they probably were once more useful then salmon. Ever see a pair of boot made out of fish? ha!

Well gee, why don't you just live in an igloo and start wrestling polar bears?

In fact, screw it. Let's just dismantle society's technological progress and go back to the hunter gatherer dynamic. :rolleyes:

Verman
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Well your the one who made the asinine comment about them being useless so I was telling you they weren't. If we dismantled our "technological progress" and went back it would be survival of the fitest; a little video game playing scrawny dude like you would be on the bottom. You would be the little bitch boy sent to collect firewood while I banged your mom, your chick and your daughter in front of you.

And that still has nothing to do with the point I was making... So quit crying and trying to sound intelligent.

Beldaran
08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Well your the one who made the asinine comment about them being useless so I was telling you they weren't. If we dismantled our "technological progress" and went back it would be survival of the fitest; a little video game playing scrawny dude like you would be on the bottom. You would be the little bitch boy sent to collect firewood while I banged your mom, your chick and your daughter in front of you.

And that still has nothing to do with the point I was making... So quit crying and trying to sound intelligent.

I have a blackbelt, and I'm smarter than you. Not only would I kill you with one punch, but I'd invent something that brought you back to life so I could kill you again.

cyberkitten
08-22-2005, 04:01 PM
ok you two, knock it off. seriously. i don't particularly want to ban either of you, but if this is just going to deteriorate into a bunch of namecalling and insults, i will put my little kitten foot up your butts. k? so be nice, plz, or take it to GB.

Verman
08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
We should take it to GB because its awsome when someone on the internet claims to have a blackbelt hahah everyone does!!! Not that a blackbelt is even useful in a real fight hahahah! best laugh I had all day!

I apologize CK but now my day has been made and I was having a rough one!

ShadowTiger
08-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I know. That is the size the camera takes the pictures. After seeing how big it was, I went into photoshop and cut it down. Now it fits on screen and is a smaller download.
www.irfanview.com - Download that. All you have to do is go to Image-->Effects-->Blur, (Do that once.) then go to Image-->Resize and click Half. Preserves the quality too, since you've blurred it. Download IRFanview and you'll be as happy as ... a ... clam. -_- Or something like that.

Very cute Seal. Thanks for taking the time to share the photo with us, Cloral. :)