PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest bug/glitch in a video game? (console only)

bonegolem
08-18-2005, 09:30 PM
As programming-ly "perfect" some games are, us gamers tend to find those tiny bugs and glitches in games that kinda surprise us as we're casually moving through a level or stage.

I just found one today while playing Ninja Gaiden for NES. It was just before the Nails of Lukifel stages and I jumped off a ledge into a cliff and instead of falling down and dying I scrolled back to the top of the screen and kept falling! I did this a couple of times before getting hit by a bird and dying. This bug, if it could be repeated, could prove helpful on some of the other levels?

I also thought this bug in The Ocorina of Time was funny and weird. While fighting Ganon in the final battle, there's a part where Ganon falls and you can retrieve the Master Sword. If you go to where Zelda is standing and shoot Ganon's tail with a light arrow, he will get up and the wall of fire will "injure" you back into the ring. It's hard to explain, but the wall of fire comes back up and Link get's transported into the arena.

*cue Twilight Zone theme*

phattonez
08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
In Rygar, if there was a really hard enemy, all you had to do was move so that you could no longer see them, and then move back; they would just disappear. That is the only way you can beat that game. But that game was full of tons of other glitches anyway.

Orion
08-18-2005, 09:48 PM
There was this one time I was playing Super Mario World. I dunno how it happened, but when I jumped to hit the tape on a goal (in the ice level in Bowser's cave), the tape went flying and sliding along the ground until it hit the edge of the level. The tape just stayed there and flashed, but I couldn't finish the level since I had broken the goal.

MacWeirdo42
08-18-2005, 10:11 PM
One time, while playing Double Dragon II with a friend of mine, something went glitchy and the lives counter malfunctioned. The numbers had become replaced with jibberish. At first we thought it was merely a graphical error, but as we played, we discovered that we apparently had infinite lives, or at least we never seemed to run out. We actually managed to beat the game that way. I still to this day wouldn't have been able to make it to the end without that weird glitch.

AtmaWeapon
08-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Read the bug FAQ here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/game/554041.html) for a lot of Final Fantasy 3 bugs. I've had a few happen to me, and my friend had one of the more bizarre bugs grant him 99 Gem Boxes :)

Saffith
08-19-2005, 02:58 AM
Bah. You want, bugs, look here (http://kontek.net/davidwonn/).
For the weirdest, I vote for this one (http://kontek.net/davidwonn/dkcrambi.html).
Controlling Rambi underwater is hard. If you don't do it just right, the game'll suddenly forget you're underwater, so you run and jump as though you weren't. That frequently makes it impossible to finish the level.

Beldaran
08-19-2005, 03:42 AM
As programming-ly "perfect" some games are

I'm really sorry to do this. Not trying to be an ass, but my OCD is kicking in.

The word is "programmatically". :)

In FABLE for the Xbox, if you cast the Beserk spell, you would get huge and strong. This would last for a little while and then you'd return to normal. However, if you cast the spell, then saved your game, quit, and loaded the savegame, you would remain huge for the rest of the game, but your stats would be normal. It was kind of funny looking.

Darth Marsden
08-19-2005, 04:11 AM
In Tony Hawks Underground 2, I tried to do a gap but somehow ended up falling through the floor and just... floating in the middle of nothing. It wasn't all bad, I used the time to perform some otherwise near-impossible tricks and built up my stats.

I'm sure I've had others, but I can't think of them right now. Games are great fun, aren't they?

Brasel
08-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Does anyone remember the select "warp" trick in Link's Awakening? You would press select and go to the map as soon as you moved to the next screen, putting you on the opposite edge of the screen that you were supposed to be on? You could get a lot of stuff really early this way. I think they took it out of the DX version.

deathbyhokie
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Does anyone remember the select "warp" trick in Link's Awakening? You would press select and go to the map as soon as you moved to the next screen, putting you on the opposite edge of the screen that you were supposed to be on? You could get a lot of stuff really early this way. I think they took it out of the DX version.

indeed. and you could get onto just about any dungeon with it by using it in the caves and such. It was also fun to try to get all the followers at once in the game(Marin, the ghost, the rooster, and bowwow), although i don't think i ever did it

Dark Knight
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
In Final Fantasy VIII, I had just leveled up before a boss and saved my game but the power went out before it finished saving. When the power came back on, the save was still there. I tried loading it up and hoped for the best. The game loaded the save and I went to fight the boss but something was strange. The bosses attacks didn't hurt much and I was doing about 6,000 hp of damage each attack. After the battle, I noticed all my characters were level 100 and max stats.

I could never explain this nor duplicate it. It was just something wierd that happened. :shrug:

ShadowTiger
08-19-2005, 03:29 PM
I still kinda like the bugs in Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night, where ... ... heck, I'll list them.

1) Turn into a bat at the same time you're picking up a relic or heart/life container, and you'll look like you, crouching, kinda, but you'll be flying. It's really weird. All Graphical.

2) Run up stairs as a wolf, and just as you leap off the top, turn back human, and you'll go through the floor or something like that. I could never do it right, but I'm sure you see the bug here.

3) Under luck Mode, (Input X-X!V''Q as your character's name.) you can keep your initial equipment by removing all but the Lapis Lazuli, leveling up about five times to increase HP moderately, going into Death's room but IMMEDIATELY leaving by holding left as you enter, then approach the nearest Warg, and just as he's about to leap forward slightly to bite you, jump, and have his forehead hit you. You should go flying through the next room, past it, and into the next area. Now do everything you can to reach the save point, where you can put all your armor and stuff back on. God, this one's so helpful.

4) Do the sword bros combo in front of the librarian then speak to him, ... you can open the menu while you're in there. Big bug. Very useful.

MottZilla
08-19-2005, 04:07 PM
That 3rd one on SotN is not a glitch. It was an intended secret as I recall.

Now the coolest glitch better than any mentioned so far, the Super Metroid reset game glitch. You you equip the spazer and plasma beam (and possibly something else, I forget) and in certain sized rooms, you shoot a door point blank, turn around and shoot once, then go through the door, and most of the game flags reset (such as you can go collect all the energy and missile tanks again. If you check gamefaqs you could find the exact way to do it.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Walk through the wall trick in the OOT Bottom Of The Well. Best Glitch EVAR, but how coudl you miss something that obvious?

DsS Game
08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Any level in Jet Moto 3. The polygons suck dude. I used to always either:

A) Go through the walls and die.
B) Go through the walls and get stuck and eventually it'll freeze

Another Glitch: Twisted Metal 3

Try putting in the God Mode code, don't go through the normal story mode(I forgot what the mode was called), go to custom, putting the cpu cars to 7 and have the difficulty on pure lunancy, then pick mideon all 7 times. Tell me what happens to your game...lol.

Starrodkirby86
08-23-2005, 02:14 AM
I pretty much like the one in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. In Green Forest Multiplayer if you plasy as Metal SOnic just when you're about ot jump off the first ramp (I think) you turn right and you keep going down and down and down. Well, it works for someone else but Metal Sonic can be immortal there. You know his B move. It's sweet....

Darth Marsden
08-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Walk through the wall trick in the OOT Bottom Of The Well. Best Glitch EVAR, but how coudl you miss something that obvious? Which one was that? You mean the one where you get the Magic Lens thing? 'cause that ain't no glitch, honey. Clicks fingers

Archibaldo
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
In my Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 for the DS, I putted the ball into the hole for a birdie and it gave me a 2 stroke penalty saying it was out of bounds. I was like wtf.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Missing no. glitch in Pokemon Red and Blue and the Mew glitch.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, something in pokemon emerald: if you do a certain thing with the berries, one that effects your stats, cant remember which, the HP Counter rolls backwards and lands at about 65000.

MottZilla
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Zelda 64 has a glitch where you can leave the village without the sword or sheild. Basically you partially lift the left side of the cartridge, and it'll start acting weird and you can walk through the koroki people that block you. If you pull it out too much, game crashes, and your save games could be destroyed.

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Is that glitch? Your actually removing the cartdrige, even the best programmers couldn't prevent that.

Anyways, in Phantasy Star 3, (The original ones on the Sega Genesis or the remakes for the GBA) you can sell all the equipment you start with and use it to buy and escape pipe. Then, go into the castle near the beginning where you get thrown in the dungeons. Once youre in the dungeons, use the escape pipe and weird stuff starts happening. It will warp you right outside your dungeon cell and if you go back upstairs to the king, he says 'You used an escape pipe. Normally a smart move, but not here. Please reset the game.' This glitch is cool because you can do some pretty fucked up stuff with it. Everything's messed up if you use this glitch. It works even in the GBA version as well.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah Crooked Cartridge shouldn't count. Very cool, though Lilith slightly screwed our Zelda game up by doing that...

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I have a messed up Zelda 1 NES Cartridge that's really messed up, the battery is dieing but it's cool because sometimes it changes my saves that have like 4 hearts have like 14 hearts, and also one time I went to a secret cave where you get money, I re-boot the cartridge and go there again, and the money's there again (The one where there's a goblin under an armos where you the goblin gives you like 10 rupees or something.) I'm thinking about getting a new one though, half the time stuff that goes on with it means I have an almost completed game and I boot up the NES to finish my saved game and the save is gone.

Though it's not a bug it's pretty cool, I was wondering why the game was only 50 cents, I bought it just last year though.

TheProject
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
I dunno how it happened, but I was playing Madden 2000, and I was running the ball, and once I crossed the line of scrimmage, I fell like I was tackled, and floated straight up. I flew all the way to a touchdown, with all the opponents and teammates blocking below me.

bonegolem
08-25-2005, 05:15 PM
I was ALL OVER that Missingno glitch.

I also enjoy doing the temple of time/navi glitch where you backflip onto the pedestal where the 3 gems are, and (if you're facing the pedestal of time) call Saria, and you lose Navi. Unfortunately she comes back if you leave the temple.