PDA

View Full Version : Who has less of a life, the maker or the watcher?

AtmaWeapon
08-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Windows:
1. Bring up a command prompt (Start>Run, cmd.exe in WinXP or command in Win9x)
2. telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
3. Get ready to watch a movie :)

Linux:
1. Do whatever it takes to get to your command line
2. Do whatever it takes to telnet to the server in Windows Step 2

I can barely imagine the dedication and work that went inot this, and the sad thing is it's kind of sad.

Machiavelli
08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
That was...interesting.

I can't even imagine the patiance and work that went ito that. It looks nice but i only watched for a few minutes. The maker must've had alot of time on their hands. Alot. Very sad.

Ganonator
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM
wow, I had originally thought it was going to be an ascii rip, but then I was amazed that it wasnt. He's really on to something there.

And to answer you your question, the maker, by far ;)

Beldaran
08-18-2005, 08:12 PM
WOW

I could actually hear the sound in my head as it played. Very cool. Or not cool, depending on your station in life.

Eckels
08-18-2005, 08:38 PM
it's not the whole movie... i had hoped to see a lightsaber battle, but it was not to be.

JayeM
08-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow! Gotta love ascii!

PrfectGREG
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
When does it end? I stoped after luke got his light saber.

Eckels
08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
just after leia gets visited by the floating droid. there might have been another scene there, but they never make it to the garbage masher.

richie
08-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Nice.
I didn't get very far with watching. I don't know the original movie either.
Is there sound? I'm at work right now, so all speakers are turned off.

It sure was a lot of work. Why did they do it? I mean, it's absolutely useless, isn't it?
The maker has less of his life, as he (I think so) spent more time on writing than it takes you to watch.

AtmaWeapon
08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
WOW

I could actually hear the sound in my head as it played. Very cool. Or not cool, depending on your station in life.I'm glad I'm not the only one. I could hear the soundtrack AND the voices and I thought I had just watched Star Wars too much.

And Ganonator you are right, most people who make a movie out of ASCII just run it through a program that "ASCIIizes" each frame; this was actual painstaking hand-done work and worthy of both respect and disgust at the amount of time spent.

DsS Game
08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
ok im stupid when it comes to using the command prompt so can you explain it more?

laughing1989
08-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Can't seem to connect to it.. :shrug:
Oh well... I guess dialup is to blame.

Machiavelli
08-19-2005, 06:42 PM
ok im stupid when it comes to using the command prompt so can you explain it more?

1)Open up your command prompt.
2)Type in : telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl
3)Press enter.

;)

carrot red
08-19-2005, 06:56 PM
The maker has no life whatsover, but one thing he has... is brains.

laughing1989
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Hmm, got it working today... and uh...
Can't really explain it, but I did chuckle when the rebel ship was getting shot by the Star Destroyer. the lasers were SO realistic. :)
:rolleyes: Duh... the maker definitely loses their Gf/Bf earlier then a watcher could. I guess having a relationship has the most weight when deciding if someone has a life or not...

bigjoe
08-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Mine ended shortly before the prison block gunfight.

Darth Marsden
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
At the moment, it ends just after the line "Look out! He's loose!", but I suspect he's still working on it.

If you're still having trouble connecting to it, here's how to do it in Windows:

- In the Start menu, select Run.
- In the run box, type "cmd.exe" to run the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, type "telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl" (without the quotes, obviously).
- Enjoy!

Tygore
08-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Holy...

That was amazing. I loved it when Vader choked the guy. And HAN SHOOTS FIRST! YES!

Can't wait for him to finish. Think he'll do the later episodes?

theplustwo
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
This is pretty awesome, I thought it was going to be Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, since the server displayed a "So long and thanks for all the fish" message first.

I heard about this before and saw a screenshot of it, but I didn't know it was a telnet script, I figured it would just be a flash animation. This way is much cooler.