PDA

View Full Version : Next beta impending

jman2050
08-16-2005, 10:29 AM
The next beta should almost definitely be out by week's end. There's a lot of cool stuff you can play around with there :) However, after that, we will be rewriting ZC nearly from scratch. It will retain the same functionality as the current code base, but will be better designed and allow for easier extensibility. It's estimated that this would take about a month or so, so there shouldn't be any progress on new features while that happens. Not to worry though, ZC will be back and better than ever. I think it isn't much of a stretch to aim for a release at the latest at Christmas time.

*b*
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
sweet. will this new code rewrite allow for more items *coughroc'sfeathercough*, and possibly an enemy/item editor? or maybe better positioned weapons? the ones we have now, while they're a great addition, aren't quite positioned right when compared to the GB Zeldas

ShadowTiger
08-16-2005, 03:06 PM
My only concern is the strain on the developers. If this will assist the devs, I can wait as long as I have to to test. :)

(Future) Good luck with it, everyone. :)

bigjoe
08-16-2005, 03:54 PM
couldnt there be like a 'final' public version with as much bugs as possible eliminated? I mean, people seem to dislike the current public version for its bugs, so , in my opinion, that needs to be rectified.

By the way , I didnt post. :angel:

EDIT: Either that, or you could throw out the next beta as a public version, apologizing for whatever bugs, and then state that something big is in store...

fatcatfan
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
We've discussed what to do with the current code, and I think (hope) we'll just continue to make bug fixes for it while focusing our main efforts on the new code. No new "releases" past this next "final" one, except for bug fixes.

ShadowTiger
08-16-2005, 04:09 PM
EDIT: Posted simultaneously with fatcatfan. Just FYI.

couldnt there be like a 'final' public version with as much bugs as possible eliminated? I mean, people seem to dislike the current public version for its bugs, so , in my opinion, that needs to be rectified.

By the way , I didnt post. :angel:Well, this could be an issue then. We should get a public version out before people start to complain about some changes which may have unforseen problems. Best to release this version as it is, after the bugs have been fixed, before redoing it all from the ground. I think the preview mode is REALLY what people need the most. Seriously.

(After Edit) Well, I'm sure people will appreciate whatever it is they're given. o_o'

bigjoe
08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
will this new code rewrite allow for more items *coughroc'sfeathercough*, and possibly an enemy/item editor? It would be cool if the item/enemy editor were made FIRST, and then all of the existing enemies and items could be made from that.

Also, destroy size limitations. Make it where sprites can use any size that is a multiple of 16. And add a collision bounds variable for sprites/projectiles, where 1 is the default 16x16.(This collision bounds variable would be for items AND enemies.There would be seperate variables for vertical and horizontal collision.)

With a system like that in place, you could make giant enemies like the ones seen here: (VEL's BS Zelda Fakes Page) (http://kenoshaonline.com/bszldfak.htm)

This is gonna be awesome, dude! I knew I shouldn't leave the computer alone. =P

Dart Zaidyer
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I hope this way, you'll be able to nip all the frequently suggested suggestions in the bud.

jman2050
08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
It would be cool if the item/enemy editor were made FIRST, and then all of the existing enemies and items could be made from that.

Also, destroy size limitations. Make it where sprites can use any size that is a multiple of 16. And add a collision bounds variable for sprites/projectiles, where 1 is the default 16x16.(This collision bounds variable would be for items AND enemies.There would be seperate variables for vertical and horizontal collision.)

With a system like that in place, you could make giant enemies like the ones seen here: (VEL's BS Zelda Fakes Page) (http://kenoshaonline.com/bszldfak.htm)

This is gonna be awesome, dude! I knew I shouldn't leave the computer alone. =P

None of that happens until the rewrite is done... which is the point.

Also, the rewrite won't take too long really. We'll definitely fix whatever holes that are left in the code of course, and perhaps release that beta. I suppose that will be best for everyone.

*b*
08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
just to clarify, you mean "rewrite" as in, full functionality? or just the basic engine, then add all the bells and whistles later?

jman2050
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Rewrite the code form the ground up, but having pretty much the exact same functionality as the current code base.

bigjoe
08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Will you be able to reduce system requirements in any way by rewriting it? All for it , either way....

Sephiroth
08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Maybe you can fix the "PINK BORDER" That happens sometimes while in Full-Screen mode. X_X

LinktheMaster
08-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Hey, jman, DN, FCF, do whatever's best for you. You all are the stars of the show, we're just along for the ride. :) What I'm saying is that we can wait, if it means you all don't get stressed or anything by overworking yourselves. ;)

But, whenever the beta comes out, I'll be here to test it, that's for sure. :tongue:

PolygonX8
08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
This is definitely good news, but my main concern is... will all quests on past verions load CORRECTLY into this new one and have no bugs whatsoever in flags, secret combos, etcetera? Because if I can't upgrade, that somewhat spoils some plans for two quests I've already gotten started and gotten far ahead in. :\

Even though, I'll be around to test granted school isn't too much of a problem (Which I really, really doubt it will be).

jman2050
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Old quests should definitely be upgradable. We won't forget about that. I stress again: We are not changing the gameplay mechanics or editable functionality. We are changing the engine behind them so that said mechanics can be easily expanded at the low level, without me, DN, or fcf hammering at the code every time we want to add a tiny new detail

Thank you :)

Rydia
08-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Sounds like a plan. ^_^ Good luck with the rebuild! :D You all are doing great.

texasdex
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
When is the next Linux beta coming out? As that is all I use nowadays and few have been available, I'm hoping that I'll get one to play with soon. Or, at the very least, I hope the major code-base change will make ZC more cross-platform, too, because I've had some problems with it before.

Sephiroth
08-23-2005, 11:48 AM
When is the next Linux beta coming out? As that is all I use nowadays and few have been available, I'm hoping that I'll get one to play with soon. Or, at the very least, I hope the major code-base change will make ZC more cross-platform, too, because I've had some problems with it before.

We can do that. Understand though guys, I'm not talking about working in the same mode of Allegro that we have been. We're starting from scratch to create a modern GUI that will use the native look and feel of Linux/GTK, Windows, and Mac OSX.

From what I read, I think the core rewrite is a good direction to go.. :)

fatcatfan
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
However, the gmae engine will still be using Allegro AFAIK, so the Linux issues may still exist on that side. I expect Zquest to work wonderfully though.