08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
http://jman2050.armageddongames.net/img/zelda040.PNG

*crawls away slowly*

ShadowTiger
08-15-2005, 06:30 PM
lol, jman. lol.

ANIMATE It. :sb:

:p XD

That's one impressive achievement, jman. Congratulations on getting that to work. Unless this is just one of those things where it's mocked up, and you tell us to discuss it just for the hell of it. Hehe.

Shoelace
08-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Is this a picture of the new beta? Link is bigger than one tile!!! The Heck. O_O

Hopefully this isn't a mockup, I would love to see if this was true. :P

VEL
08-15-2005, 06:59 PM
OMG there are numbers over the rupee counter! YAY I've always wanted that! :p

I hope this is a (nam) screenshot, I've wanted a bigger tile for the main character for awhile, it's kinda hard to make 1 tile characters look good. :)

ShadowTiger
08-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh VEL. :shakeno: You make it look so easy. :(

;) :D

With this addition, we've got to be careful. This could mess up several sets. What about having Link's upper half walk offscreen? Obviously that should have already been handled with the ability to post that screenshot, but ... It'll also mess with a lot of tilesets. Only the ALTTP Tileset is safe from this. Scale will be a huge issue in the future, you can already tell.

Ganonator
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
all i hope is that he was done correctly, and there is a sprite for the head and one for the body, so he is 48 pixels tall.

*b*
08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
<spaz>NEW LINK SIZE!? OMGOMGOMG!! JMAN, I LOVE YOU!! </spaz>

seriousky, is that a new Link size? and does he have eight-driectional ovement?

phattonez
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I thought this picture was about his ruppees. 123456789? Now that takes a while.

ShadowTiger
08-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Um ... Nope, I ... don't think that it's about the rupees. It COULD be, but I simply doubt it. Why? Because beneath the blue text aligned with the rupee count, is a zero. Just like the key and bomb count below it. It's white, as compared to light blue.

jman2050
08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
1. This is not a mockup.

2. You have the choice of using the normal hit box or the more LTTP-oriented 16x16 pixel hitbox. you will have to design around the latter.

3. Nicely enough, Link's sprites sync up almost perfectly when using the sword, at least as long a you don't do frame advance. Don't know about the hammer though, I'd have to see.

4. The sprite is 27x20, with the hit box on the lowest part of the sprite and centered horizontally (so 2 pixels on each side are loose). It may be horizontally extended if people call for it.

5. I'll get to animation later :) bwa ha ha

Oh yeah, and ignore the numbers. They're a mistake, and have absolutely nothing to do with the link sprite.

*b*
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
you had better damn well make those sprites editable. I'll never forgive you if you didn't

Cloral
08-16-2005, 03:09 AM
You certainly love to introduce new features in topics called 'click here', don't you jman? :D

fatcatfan
08-16-2005, 08:41 AM
you had better damn well make those sprites editable. I'll never forgive you if you didn't

I think this actually came as a a result of writing the code to make the Link tiles dialog functional...

ShadowTiger
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
2. You have the choice of using the normal hit box or the more LTTP-oriented 16x16 pixel hitbox. you will have to design around the latter.What do you mean by "hitbox?" And if it's what I'm thinking of, how do the LTTP and "current" "hitboxes" differ?

4. The sprite is 27x20, with the hit box on the lowest part of the sprite and centered horizontally (so 2 pixels on each side are loose). It may be horizontally extended if people call for it.Pardon the ignorance here, (Obviously you're in the know since you've coded it. :p ) but what do you mean by "loose?" So Link's sprite is now horizontally larger than 16x16? :o That's like, insane. Does that mean that his collision detection will be affected as well? O_o'

And how does this relate to his movement grid at all? If he's now larger, does that mean he won't be able to fit through gaps no larger than 16x16 now?

jman2050
08-16-2005, 02:16 PM
What do you mean by "hitbox?" And if it's what I'm thinking of, how do the LTTP and "current" "hitboxes" differ?

Pardon the ignorance here, (Obviously you're in the know since you've coded it. :p ) but what do you mean by "loose?" So Link's sprite is now horizontally larger than 16x16? :o That's like, insane. Does that mean that his collision detection will be affected as well? O_o'

And how does this relate to his movement grid at all? If he's now larger, does that mean he won't be able to fit through gaps no larger than 16x16 now?

His hitbox. His collision. Normally Link's collision consists of the entire horizontal width (16 pixels) and the bottom half of the sprite (the lower 8 pixels). The new hitbox would make it 16x16 instead of 8x16. You would be correct in assuming that he can't fit through gaps no larger than 16x16. Also, as far as sprite size goes, it's ALL in the gfx department only. The collision is constant no matter what the sprite looks like. As for why it's horizontally bigger, it's mostly just for extended appendages, such as Link's hat and his shield.

Cloral
08-16-2005, 03:16 PM
So... if the hitbox is 16x16 now, Link would have trouble moving near the top wall of dungeons if the 'freeform dungeons' rule was unchecked (since the top wall normally makes the passable space next to any blocks only 8 units wide). So it seems to me if the designer uses the new hitbox, the top wall should recede 8 pixels so that the player can walk up against it.

ShadowTiger
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
2. You have the choice of using the normal hit box or the more LTTP-oriented 16x16 pixel hitbox. you will have to design around the latter.

:p
Yeah, it'll be interesting, but I'm sure we can do it. It'll be up to the quest designer to ensure that his/her quest works with this new feature anyway. The ALTTP set is optimized for this anyway, I'd say. Well, at least it's our best bet. :shrug:

And if not, doors can be drawn higher. But this, ... THIS, ... is pretty much the feature which will make tilesets forced to redefine themselves.

jman2050
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
So... if the hitbox is 16x16 now, Link would have trouble moving near the top wall of dungeons if the 'freeform dungeons' rule was unchecked (since the top wall normally makes the passable space next to any blocks only 8 units wide). So it seems to me if the designer uses the new hitbox, the top wall should recede 8 pixels so that the player can walk up against it.

That's not a problem... trust me, the code is rather interesting in that aspect, but the 16x16 hitbox does let you go through horizontal dungeon doors.

That is, unless you did the doors yourself , in which case you probably made the top half of the passage solid, in which case Link wouldn't be able to walk through :P

Freedom
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
the walkable space in east and west doors is only 1/2 a 16x16 tile (8 pixils), will that be effected?

Dart Zaidyer
08-16-2005, 06:37 PM

I think I have some work to do.

So tell me... How many animation frames can we use per action?

And will we get a new sword slash set to go with it?

ShadowTiger
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
the walkable space in east and west doors is only 1/2 a 16x16 tile (8 pixils), will that be effected?Actually, yes it will. However, ... and I'll use this quote from jman as the reference:

2. You have the choice of using the normal hit box or the more LTTP-oriented 16x16 pixel hitbox. you will have to design around the latter.In Link's new giant form, the latter, 16x16 form, then yes. However, since there are two forms, I'd assume that you can specify which "hitbox" you'd like, even with the new graphics.

Heh. Everyone loves jman. :D

jman2050
08-16-2005, 07:29 PM

I think I have some work to do.

So tell me... How many animation frames can we use per action?

And will we get a new sword slash set to go with it?

I'll get to that :) Patience young ones.

Orion
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Of course you do this after I resign my beta spot :P. Now I gotta wait until the full version comes out to redesign my tileset :P.

laughing1989
08-17-2005, 06:51 PM
A couple questions:
1. Can Link be comprised of 2 tiles now, or are sprite tiles optionally just taller than before?
..If the first one is the case (most likely):
2. Can Link's head be animated? (Aka, a fairie flapping as he stands still, but is part of the move animation while he is moving)
Just wondering.

*b*
08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I think this actually came as a a result of writing the code to make the Link tiles dialog functional...
I don't understand...?

fatcatfan
08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
As in, being able to go to the Link tiles dialog, and from there choose which tiles to use for the animations, instead of them being in fixed locations.

*b*
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
ah, I see. so Link's tiles aren't 16x16 pixels by default anymore?

Dart Zaidyer
08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I just happened to think how weird it would look if a big ol' Link like that actually went up against some enemies...

How are we going to work around that?

ShadowTiger
08-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I just happened to think how weird it would look if a big ol' Link like that actually went up against some enemies...

How are we going to work around that?As interesting the imagery behind this thought is, I suppose it's already been taken care of by how this works.

For one thing, there's the hitbox. Collision can either be the original 16x8, or the new 16x16. The latter implies that you will no longer be able to walk up (north) to an object and have your upper half go over it, or do the same to an enemy and not get hurt.

Additionally, the new graphical range isn't 16x32, but 20x27. This means that Link can expand outward as well as upward, but not THAT MUCH upward. Thus, he won't TOWER over enemies, but he'll be able to swing his arms outward a bit more easily, (less awkwardly. O_o' ) and his hat will have more of a bounce to it. His head will more than likely only be one to three pixels above its default location. It's not that much of a difference, thankfully. ^_^ I think it should work out in the end. :)

Dart Zaidyer
08-18-2005, 06:04 PM
But he's as tall as an Aquamentus. Wouldn't it look a little ridiculous if he were to get beaten up by a tiny little 16x16 Darknut?

bigjoe
08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
But he's as tall as an Aquamentus. Wouldn't it look a little ridiculous if he were to get beaten up by a tiny little 16x16 Darknut?
I'd think it more rediculous to see him going around picking on little tiny guys. He'd look like a big bully XD

I agree that it would look odd, but I wont compain because that extra space could mean room for a cap that doesnt look like a rag

ShadowTiger
08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
lol, not really. :p In Four Sword / Four Sword Adventure / ALTTP, you were that tall, ... perhaps even taller, (probably not though.) but you were still able to stand only a few pixels taller than enemies. It's not 16x32, it's 20x27. That's a full five pixels shorter, and if you even have to USE most of those extra 11 pixels, m'thinks you're doing something a bit drastic with Link. :p :laughing: His hitbox still equals the hitbox of most of his enemies, so it should be fine, really.

Again, just because he CAN be 20x27 doesn't mean he WILL be. ;) It's just extra breathing room for characters. :) I'm sure people would want their shields to extend outward a bit and to swing their arms and cap around, ... and now we can. ~_^

*b*
08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
you know, I just thought of something. what if this screenshot dosen't have anything to do with that Link, but instead the girl on the other side of the screen? jman is tricky like that, so I bet that's what all this is about

Valientlink
08-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Holy crap Link has a full body but how can he look like that with such a bad subscreen?

Valientlink
08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I f link will look like that I have some neat hints. Make direct insta warps everywhere so Link doesn't have to scroll to a new screen so the screen scrolls with you!