PDA

View Full Version : Holy Jeezes Gas is expensive!

Ibis, God of Magicks
08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm paying almost 2.50 a gallon! I know that pales in comparison to what some people are paying for, but it is insane in these parts.

Gas has gone up $0.70 a gallon since the start of the year!

What is everyone else paying?

I've heard it will go up another $0.50 before christmas!

fatcatfan
08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
I've seen it at about $2.50 to $2.60 around here. Seems like it's jumped 30 cents in just a few weeks.

Ibis, God of Magicks
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I went up 15 cents a gallon from friday to saturday.

fatcatfan
08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.tennesseegasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx

Yup, from $2.14 to $2.44 in 12 days

Ganonator
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I hear it's over 3.00 in California, and i'm scared to see how much it is back in Seattle

Eckels
08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
I paid 2.89 for 87 just a few days ago.

Raichu86
08-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Regular was $1.93 at a couple of places, and about $2.15 everywhere else, a couple of weeks ago, then it skyrocketed to where it is now: about $2.40 to $2.50.

phattonez
08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I hear it's over 3.00 in California, and i'm scared to see how much it is back in Seattle
It's not $3.00 over here, yet, but it has come close. In Southern California it is around $2.60-$2.70. Going through Central California it was almost $2.90. I'd hate to know what it is at in San Diego and Northern California.

Vagla
08-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Regular was $1.93 at a couple of places, and about $2.15 everywhere else, a couple of weeks ago, then it skyrocketed to where it is now: about $2.40 to $2.50.
Eh, higher than $2.50, for sure. There's a gas station by my house here with diesel over $3, which is absolutely outrageous. The one where I fill up usually has diesel a good 70 cents cheaper than that one, but super unleaded is only marginally better than most places. I haven't filled up lately, but the Seattle gas prices have been pretty damn high. I wonder how they'll be in Portland when I'm there for college in a week or so... Here's to hoping it's cheaper. ;)

Starkist
08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
It's around $2.65 down here, but it is nearing $3 up in Tacoma and Seattle...

Orion
08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Anywhere from $2.35 to $2.60 here. It's getting rediculous. I worked at a gas station this summer and the last day it went up (Friday) I have never heard so many people complain about how high it went. A couple people filled up their pickup trucks for almost $95 for their entire tank. And semi's took about $500 to fill with diesel.

You can only say "oh well, can't do anything about it so many times." Where is the governemt trying to do something about this. Oh wait, they won't, because they don't have to pay for their transportation. You have to wonder at what point will people not be able to afford to travel?

phattonez
08-15-2005, 08:11 PM
You can only say "oh well, can't do anything about it so many times." Where is the governemt trying to do something about this. Oh wait, they won't, because they don't have to pay for their transportation. You have to wonder at what point will people not be able to afford to travel?
I'd hate to start a political debate, but I don't think they should do anything about this. People are responding to this and the problem is correcting itself. People are buying hybrids and other cars that use less gas. If you still want to get an SUV, it is your own fault, the governement should do anything about that. We will just have to bite the bullet until fuel cell cars come out. Until then, we should be buying cars that use less gas or just buying hybrids.

moocow
08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
I just put $20 in my tank, which was almost 7.5 gallons at $2.68 a gallon. Yeah. And now I'm poor.

Eckels
08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
I'd hate to start a political debate, but I don't think they should do anything about this. People are responding to this and the problem is correcting itself. People are buying hybrids and other cars that use less gas. If you still want to get an SUV, it is your own fault, the governement should do anything about that. We will just have to bite the bullet until fuel cell cars come out. Until then, we should be buying cars that use less gas or just buying hybrids.

ok so how does that help to lower the price of heating oil so that i wont have to pay three times what i paid four years ago to heat my house this winter?

with the rise in gas prices, so rises the price of energy and electricity, as well as the price of commodities, since it costs more to transport and ship. prices of petrolium based products go up as well (and have).

the rise in the price of crude oil is linked to a lot more than people buying big dumb suv's.

furthermore, whether you drive a hummer or a honda, if you live on a budget, like so many of us family types do, the dramatic fluctuations in fuel prices pose a very immediate financial problem that can't be dismissed by saying simply "I shouldn't buy an SUV".

mikeron
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
It's not $3.00 over here, yet, but it has come close. In Southern California it is around $2.60-$2.70. Going through Central California it was almost $2.90. I'd hate to know what it is at in San Diego and Northern California.Saw one of the stations here at $3.04. Not cool, guys.

EDIT: Why are things so expensive this close to Mexico? ILLOGICAL!

Breaker
08-15-2005, 09:46 PM
2.28 a gallon here. ;)

Ganonator
08-15-2005, 10:17 PM
yeah, with math its 3.20 here. Its sad to think the US pays as much as Canada and they tax the hell out of it.

Destiny
08-15-2005, 10:27 PM
I just drove by a few gas stations, $2.79 per gallon. Considering it was $2.45 a week ago.

goKi
08-16-2005, 03:55 AM
$3.66US/Gal.

Master Ghaleon
08-16-2005, 04:49 AM
2.28 a gallon here. ;)

Bastard :heart:

2.56 around here

Ibis, God of Magicks
08-17-2005, 02:30 AM
I jest payed 16 bucks for half a tank.

Darth Marsden
08-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Just be glad you people don't live in England - it really does cost a fortune over here. I don't drive (yet) but the rest of my family does. Over 90 pence a litre. Let's see what the BBC have to say about it. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4133430.stm)

Rainman
08-17-2005, 10:59 AM

I'd tend to agree with you if the gas companies weren't raping us for profits.

Fiyerstorm
08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
It's $2.49 here..it was $2.39 the other day so wtfux.

Orion
08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Just jumped to $2.69/gallon here. Nearly unaffordable for someone who must drive 1000+ miles every month.

I can't believe I filled up for $2.05 just a month ago.

Perhaps it's time to get a car that takes E85. It's $1.96/gallon at the gas station.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Gogo not driving. I live in a small suburb, and buy the train station that goes into chicago for everything else =D

Destiny
08-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Newest info, gas is now up to...dun dun dun. $2.87 per gallon

AlexMax
08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
It is rather sad to see that people live in places that require a car to get around. This probably goes without saying, but before cars were popular, cities were packed together a lot tighter, and when they did come, the existing cities used public transportation as the primary way of getting around. However, after the car got popular, it suddenly became acceptable for homes to be built in curvey suburban mazes with no sidewalks, convienence stores only accessable across busy four lane streets, and public transportation...usually buses...get relegated to the lower class who couldn't afford a car. You can see the difference immediatly, just compare big cities in the Northeast to the equivilents in the Southeast and West.

Just some food for thought.

Starkist
08-18-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm glad I don't live in the Northeast. Crazy people...

Buses around here act like they own the road. They will cut you off, sideswipe you, ignore you, honk at you if you're in their way... in the Seattle area, public transportation is worshiped. There are two different projects, one light rail and the other a new monorail, that both get continued public support and taxpayer funding. They have been a massive money pit, spending tax dollars on consultants and meetings for years without ever producing anything to show for it. However, being public transportation projects, they are labeled a Good Thing and can never have too much money.

Blech.

I paid $2.52 for gas today at the ARCO. I figure I save enough to offset the 10% ethanol.