PDA

View Full Version : Another random health question...

Kry
08-14-2005, 11:42 PM
If you get a cut, does lighting a match or lighter and holding the flame to the wound help? I've seen it in movies alot. I heard it cautorizes (sp?) the wound. I'm not totally sure what that means though. (I never stayed awake in health class.) One more question, how big does the wound have to be for the flame to make a difference, if it does?

phattonez
08-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't see how burning would help it. Maybe it dries the blood, but I'm not sure. The best way to do it is to just put pressure on the wound so that blood stops pouring out.

Aliem
08-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I heard it cautorizes (sp?) the wound. I'm not totally sure what that means though. It means that it, for lack of a better term, melts the wound together to prevent further infection n stuff. I personally would not reccomend it, because blisters hurt worse than a cut, in my opinion.

Assuming it's nothing major, I'd just use a band-aid.

Verman
08-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Well a lighter probably would just hurt I would think hahah!

But if you like use heated up metal or something hot enough it would seal all the viens so you don't bleed anymore...

Maybe it could sever the nerves or something and cause some of the pain to go away...

Beldaran
08-15-2005, 12:31 AM
It also helps to squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it. Also, if you have the hiccups, it helps to stab your eye out with a dull pencil. And if you're constipated, try eating a bunch of dog shit. It really helps.

Blonde799
08-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I think using a heat source on a wound will mold stuff together and stop the bleeding, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you had nothing else.

Lilith
08-15-2005, 02:01 AM
---

Sute
08-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I guess I see what that might do.. just.. stopping the bleeding, except heat makes blood flow faster.. so unless the wound is actually set on fire... I really don't know .. how that'd work really affectively..

fatcatfan
08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
It will leave a scar. You should only do it if you want a scar or the wound is life threatening.

Kry
08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
The best way to do it is to just put pressure on the wound so that blood stops pouring out.
Well I know that much. I'm first aid and CPR certified. :P

ShadowTiger
08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Remember, cauterization is used primarily on serious wounds, as Lilith said, and on the recently decapitated Hydra, for those times when you don't want the head to grow back.

Just another of those times when you can learn something from a video game. But hey, common sense dictates that you DON'T SET YOURSELF ON FIRE! X_X If you had a choice between a lit torch and a sewing kit to heal a serious injury, I'd definitely take the sewing kit over the torch any day.