PDA

View Full Version : N64 Controller Replacement

MacWeirdo42
08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
I may have asked this before, long ago (don't remember, but this all seems vaguely familiar), but I'm looking for a good replacement N64 controller. The problem is, I go through N64 controllers like crazy. They all seem to wear our too quickly. Maybe I'm a bit hard on them, but I can't possibly be any worse with my N64 controllers than I am with any of my others. I've had a hankering to hook up my old baby for a while now, but I need a suitable controller, and preferrably one that won't fall apart.

vegeta1215
08-12-2005, 01:02 PM
You can always order one from Nintendo's online store, http://store.nintendo.com. They are $24.95 brand new. You could also go to a local game store that sells used games and pick up a controller (you'll save some money that way)

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Considering you can get a used N64 from Gamestop.com for 15 dollars with a controller...o_O

MottZilla
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
You could use a classic PSx Dual Shock (the Made in Japan, no China) through an adapter and the analog stick should last much longer than the N64 Analog sticks which well, were particularly fragile. My original controller eventually had its analog stick too loose so I started using a different one. Nowdays it doesn't matter though, I don't play N64 anymore.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-12-2005, 03:04 PM
N64 still had the best controller design ever.

MottZilla
08-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Aside from the analog stick that wears out too easily, I agree it's quite a nice design. But nowdays it'd need to have analog shoulder buttons atleast. ;p

Beldaran
08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
In my opinion, the N-64 controls were unwieldly and uncomfortable.

Darth Marsden
08-13-2005, 02:13 PM
They are a bit stiff, but no controller fits into my hand more happily. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuv my N64 controller.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Z button wins best thing ever award. Why they EVER took that out of the Gamecube design baffles me.

LinktheMaster
08-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Meh, I have mixed opinions about the N64 controller. It had some nice stuff. I liked the Z button a lot, and I like how the analog stick was placed above it. I also liked the position of the right buttons, including the C buttons. However, I dislike how literally the left half of the controller is almost never used. You can't have your hands on all parts of the controller at one time, which is a hassle. However, the concept of the Z trigger was nice, and I would like to have it continue on the Revolution. It's a pretty good possibility, as many N64 games will feel odd with the Z button anywhere else, or with any other type of button.

Dechipher
08-14-2005, 01:11 PM
They kept it, they just moved it. If they had kept it where it was in relation to your hand it would have jsut been on the left side, unless the created another handle, just for the Z button, which is quite pointless.

Darth Marsden
08-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Why they didn't just remake the N64 controller for the Gamecube puzzles me a bit. You can't touch perfection. Maybe replace the C buttons with the stick and you've got a perfectly fantastic controller. Oh well, ce la vie.

vegeta1215
08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Why they didn't just remake the N64 controller for the Gamecube puzzles me a bit. You can't touch perfection. Maybe replace the C buttons with the stick and you've got a perfectly fantastic controller. Oh well, ce la vie.

The N64 controller worked well at the time, but it is so unconfortable compared to the Gamecube controller imo. It just feels really stiff and fragile - it doesn't mold to the shape of my hand like the Gamecube controller.

I think the Gamecube controller is the best Nintendo has made. My concern now is how are they changing the controller for the Revolution.

MacWeirdo42
08-15-2005, 10:20 AM
I rather enjoy the Gamecube controller. And I'll admit that I've never liked the fact that half the controller for N64 was unusable. But my real gripe is the fact that the analog stick wears out so quickly. Other than that, I don't have any real problems with it. Also, I wish they'd quit giving us more buttons than we know what to do with. It all started with SNES... I mean, four buttons plus the shoulder buttons? I remember at the time being like "How the hell are we supposed to operate this great monstrosity of a controller?" The Gamecube controller was a lot better about that, though, I think. At least none of the buttons are completely out of reach.

Daarkseid
08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
The N64 controller was inefficient with it's three handle design, limiting access to all of it's buttons.

The Z button was essentially a third "shoulder" button placed in the middle handle. Considering how most developers used the controller, they may have just as well done away with the center handle and Z button altogether, and the D-pad as well(placing the analog stick in it's place).

What resulted from the controller's design was in fact barely wieldy and overly large.

Darth Marsden
08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Meh... Maybe I'm just getting nostalgic 'cause I've been playing so many N64 games recently. Upon reconsidering, you guys are right - it was good for the time, but not now. Still, it was amazing the first time you picked one up, wasn't it?

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Eh, you can't reach all the buttons at once, but not like you ever needed to hit the L button quickly or the DPad in a game that isn't Kirby 64.

Darth Marsden
08-17-2005, 06:19 AM
If whoever it was who started this thread is still looking for a new controller, try Amazon. Some good stuff there.

KJAZZ
08-22-2005, 12:29 AM
All of my N64 and GCN controllers are screwed up in one way or another. Maybe it's just me being rough with the controllers, I dunno. :O

My concern now is how are they changing the controller for the Revolution.

This page (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/revolution-controller-mockups/) has a lot of mockup controllers for the Revolution on it.

I like these two the best:

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/8271/050711revolutioncontroller4er.jpg

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/6170/revolutioncontroller0cs.jpg

:D

HOW do you even hold the second one? lol