PDA

View Full Version : Lost the Magic

MacWeirdo42
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
I've been playing video games for a long time now. Must've at least been since I was 4, and I'm sure the same could be said by pretty much anyone around here. However, over the years, things have changed. Video games are just no longer the same to me. I certainly still enjoy playing them, but not like I did when I was a kid. Back then, they meant something different to me. Sure, it was just a game, but it was also a whole world waiting to be explored. When I first played Super Mario Bros., the Mushroom Kingdom was a real place to me. Not like the supermarket down the street is a real place, but in the same why that places and characters in books become real in your imagination. I wasn't just running through levels trying to get a high score or beat the game, I was fighting Bowser and his army of minions.

This is no longer the case. No longer do I seem to have the ability to suspend my disbelief, to see it as more than a game, more than a collection of sprites on my television screen guided by elaborate programming. I'd give anything in the world to have that feeling again, to see games the way I used to, but it seems those days are gone. I'm not gonna quit anytime soon, I don't think, but games that I loved as a kid are slowly losing their appeal over time. One of these days, though, I might just give them up all together.

ShadowTiger
08-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I wasn't just running through levels trying to get a high score or beat the game, I was fighting Bowser and his army of minions.

This is no longer the case. No longer do I seem to have the ability to suspend my disbelief, to see it as more than a game, more than a collection of sprites on my television screen guided by elaborate programming.Oh Boy. Play Tales Of Symphonia for the GCN/PS2. It'll floor you quite easily. ;) (I hope.)

Perhaps you can devote some time to designing games, rather than playing them? It'll give you a whole new sort of self esteem. :) Megazeux is good for that. Google it. :)

Orion
08-11-2005, 11:02 PM
On that note, I observed thsi with a few of my friends the other day. Games released in the last several years just can't hold my attention like old ones do. If I buy a game now, I might complete it once (if my interest is held for that long), but never more. Yet at the same time I can go back and play retro games over and over again, even to this day. I don't know if this is just me, or the games themselves.

Brasel
08-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I know exactly what you're saying Mac...I feel the exact same way. I can't really get hooked on anything anymore myself, unless its an old classic like FF6, I got hooked into that real quick last time I played it, but I beat it, and it was all over...didn't want to go back and gain levels like crazy like I used to.

Foxx
08-11-2005, 11:41 PM
I mostly agree, but even to this day I will come across occasional exceptions. I heard about The Lost Vikings for the SNES while, of all things, channel-surfing in a hotel on a vacation back in May. I tried it out, and it is truly a marvelous series. I tend to be specialized in games from the '80's and '90's, and I have played just about nothing that was produced after 1999. I played Starcraft in college in the computer labs and downloaded the Warcraft III demo and someday perhaps I'd like to buy them. Indeed, I don't think I've ever bought a computer or video game with my own money.

. . . . . Wait, that's not quite true. I picked up Banjo-Kazooie for $7 last September in a used game store. It really is a great game, still my favorite on the N64, and I'm slightly surprised it doesn't have a more vocal fanbase. But, somehow, it doesn't have the charm it did when I rented it seven years ago (or even one year ago).

Vagla
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I feel somewhat the same way. I have some games from Christmas I still need to get around to playing, but when I was younger I know I'd have pounced on every single game I got in the first day I had them. I think it's a combination of being older now and the games changing so much. The things we liked in gaming years ago aren't the same as they are now, in my opinion; I think they've changed quite a bit. But then again, we're also growing older and maybe just growing out of games for the most part. I don't know. I do know that I want to become a game developer to make those games that I've always wanted to make and hopefully something that people like me can enjoy and play over and over, a new classic that captures the feel of those old games while still being new and fresh. Quite the challenge, but it's something I definitely want to do. Gaming is still something I really enjoy and some games nowadays really do hook me (like Half Life 2, Metroid Prime, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Meteos), but for the most part I'm not as excited about modern gaming (though some of it still does excite me, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of games out there that are a blast ;)). But anyway... *shrugs*

Daarkseid
08-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Banjo-Kazooie sucked, and helped cement the foundations of my hatred for 3D scavenger hunting platformers.

Kry
08-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Banjo series ruled. I know what you mean though, slowly most people are losing their childhood. Luckily I've been gifted, I still get sucked into games, I love them with a passion. You have to yell at me to get my attention when I'm playing. I have Videogame posters ALL over my room. I can't be stoped.

vegeta1215
08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Play Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. The characters and atmospheres of those games will pull you in and leave you enchanted, just like games of old.

Darth Marsden
08-12-2005, 04:42 AM
I played through Banjo-Kazooie in under 10 hours, just to see if I could. Can you honestly say you would do the same with a more modern game? (That level in the harbour was the killer. Wasted nearly two hours on that one.) Do please try Vegeta1215's suggestions. They're short but great fun while they last, but I beleieve that, sadly, they're sort of a dying breed.

Nowadays games seem to be becoming more and more epic, which results in (weirdly) less playability. Developers spend all that time and money on a beautiful platformer, but by the end of it people have more then had enough and no longer want to touch it, hence no replay factor. I think that the classic games got it right. You could just pick them up and play. There were no rules, no complicated controls, no twiddly graphics and no 'must be better then the other games' feeling. They took their time, made you smile, and that's something that we've sort of lost these days.

Of course, that feeling is still around in indie games, which are usually more fun then you can possibly imagine. Have a root around, see what you think. And try 'N'. You'll love it.

MacWeirdo42
08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Actually, game designing is a hobby of mine, but unfortunately, those days seem long gone, too. Creative juices are just completely drained. Last thing I came up with was some weird astronaut-stranded-on-a-desert-island thingy, but I ran out of ideas and subsequently had to abandon it. Besides that, summer's almost over, and I find I have very little time to devote to such things once the school year gets underway.

Yoshiman
08-12-2005, 08:12 AM
I know what most people are talking about here.

I can always play Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Metroid over and over without getting bored of them. This is why I still have my SNES. I have a bunch of good games that I like to play from time to time.

However, the newer systems don't have as many games with replay value. I can't play through Tales of Symphonia like I could Super Mario RPG. I can still play through Ocarina of Time, but I can't get myself to replay Wind Waker.

I think the reason for this is that more games nowadays have a huge storyline. Super Mario Bros. for the NES had a basic "save the princess" story. When you go to Super Mario Sunshine, it turned into "save the princess from the evil Mario lookalike and find out who he really is." Some videogames are becoming more like movies. And I can't watch the same movie twice.

Although, there still are some games that are fun to replay. I've played through Silent Hill 3 at least four times, and I'm on my third round in Resident Evil 4. Those games have a pretty big storyline, too. We need more games with replayability.

Orion
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Play Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. The characters and atmospheres of those games will pull you in and leave you enchanted, just like games of old.

Ubisoft must love you.

Anyway, I bought and started Beyiond Good and Evil, but it just didn't hold my interest for too long. I thought the gameplay was kinda bland.

King Aquamentus
08-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Basically, I just recommend you go back to the NES and SNES for awhile, and check out anything that says "Konami".

hey, it could work.

vegeta1215
08-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Ubisoft must love you.

Anyway, I bought and started Beyiond Good and Evil, but it just didn't hold my interest for too long. I thought the gameplay was kinda bland.

Eh, they don't love me that much. I haven't picked up Prince of Persia: Warrior Within cause the excessive blood and violence is just too much for me - plus it looks like a cheap attempt to lure in an audience that goes for that stuff (PoP is not about fighting Ubisoft!) That and I heard the game is full of game-ending glitches.

I liked the hybrid gameplay in BG&E with that Zelda-like on foot stuff and the hovercraft stuff. I also never played a game with stealth elements, so the levels with that were fun. But, the characters and atmosphere are what really pulled me in.

btw, Peter Jackson's King Kong game is being developed by the same team that made Beyond Good and Evil. Peter Jackson actually contacted Michel Ancel about making the game after he played BG&E. Hopefully if that turns out to be good (which I think it will), they can make a sequel to BG&E.

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-13-2005, 01:45 AM
I was feeling kind of down on games. I wasn't playing them much, and when I was playing them, it was just a football or basketball game for an hour.

Then I played God Of War.

And now I'm back. Btw, I'm gonna rent BG&E if its at Blockbuster. :thumbsup:

Brasel
08-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Just because you suggested it, I'll have to try Prince of Persia. I had been thinking about it, but I'll take your word for it, Vegeta. I'll just have to use you as my own personal video game suggestioner.

Strider1982
08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I agree that some games seem to "lose the magic" over time. When I played Kirby's Adventure for the NES back when it was released in 1993, I thought it was one of the best platformers I had ever experienced. I played it again a few days ago, and it seemed repetitive and bland.

SMB3 has never gotten old. I've beaten that game in every way possible and it still rocks.

King Aquamentus
08-13-2005, 04:37 PM
...and hey, We have Zelda Classic. I honestly got bored to hell with Zelda 1, so I downloaded Zelda Classic, and now I have a steady stream of Zelda enjoyment.

I just wish they'd do something like this with mario.

vegeta1215
08-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Just because you suggested it, I'll have to try Prince of Persia. I had been thinking about it, but I'll take your word for it, Vegeta. I'll just have to use you as my own personal video game suggestioner.

Cool :thumbsup:

The only negative I can say about Sands of Time is that some rooms you get barraged by enemies, and fighting starts to become tedious (and frustrating sometimes). I must've died 15 times before I beat the boss in the grand hall. Otherwise the game is fantastic, albeit a little short - it took me about 9 hours to beat. It's under $20 now though, so it's well worth it. I think it may be even a Greatest Hits game on the PS2.

Darth Marsden
08-14-2005, 09:03 AM
You died? I didn't. I'm just that good. :) I'm trying to track down the PC DVD version of Warrior Within (which doesn't have the bugs of the CD version, apparently), but can't find it anywhere but eBay, which I can't use. Long story. Any ideas, anyone?

Sand of Tim does occasionally barrage you with enemies, but it's stiff fun to beat the tar out of them. Jump from the walls! That's the only problems I've detected with WW (from the demos, at least) - they've complicated the combat a bit too much. Otherwise, they're both fine games.

Also, this may not be strictly relevant, but mini-games are pretty cool. Prmary example is San Andreas, which has tons. There's 4 old-school style arcade games, with 'Let's Get Ready To Bumble' being my particular favourite, and there's also the chance to play pool, go dancing, etc... More stuff like this, please!

Brasel
08-14-2005, 11:05 AM
San Andreas lost the magic with me when I first started playing...cause it was the exact same game again. Grand Theft Auto games are overrated.

Rainman
08-14-2005, 11:35 AM
For the most part, my thirst for knew games seems to have died down. The only games released in the past year that have really excited me have been Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft. Other than that I really haven't been that much of a gamer. I'm no longer very into traditional RPGs like Final Fantasy. Straight adventure games haven't interested me either. I'm now mostly into FPS's and the more free ranged, hack-and-slash RPG's. The only game I am looking forward to is ES: Oblivion. Until then I'll only be playing WoW and maybe some HL:2. The whole gaming world has lost much of its importance to me. I'm much more of a computer geek than a gaming geek now.

Gerudo
08-14-2005, 11:57 AM
...and hey, We have Zelda Classic. I honestly got bored to hell with Zelda 1, so I downloaded Zelda Classic, and now I have a steady stream of Zelda enjoyment.

I just wish they'd do something like this with mario.

you know, as awesome as ZC is, you can only play so many hack and slash games before they get repetative and bland, nomatter how awesome the quest.

as for games, i guess i get really bored with easily... i am stuck and the end of Rockman EXE 4, cause i cant beat what's his face... i stopped playing Rockman EXE 3 because i got 4. the only game i really play now is WWE:SvR. i'm waiting for a few good games to come out for ps2, cube, or ds...

vegeta1215
08-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Sand of Tim does occasionally barrage you with enemies, but it's stiff fun to beat the tar out of them. Jump from the walls!

Yeah...I think that was my problem. I never got good at jumping off walls to kill enemies, so those big guys who knock you down when you try to vault over them were a lot harder to kill.

Blonde799
08-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Games have changed quite a lot since the last decade. Now that better technology has surfaced, gamer standards are increasing, which convinces more development on less important aspects.

I don't have the same excitement I had for say, Metroid Prime than I did for Super Metroid(both great games though). I also had more fun playing Sega's classic games than their newer ones, because the emphasis was on gameplay more than polygon counts.

Darth Marsden
08-15-2005, 06:01 AM
San Andreas lost the magic with me when I first started playing...cause it was the exact same game again. Grand Theft Auto games are overrated. Vice City is one of my favourite games ever and I will hear nothing against it. San Andreas, on the other hand, is somewhat flawed (If I want Stats, I'll play an RPG, thank you Rockstar), so you can lay into that all you want. I'm trying to get all the unique stunts ATM, and it's driving me f**king insane, something that never happening in the others.

You gotta go with me on the minigames though. Sometimes they can be more fun then the main game.