PDA

View Full Version : cave-item room entrance?

bezykb
08-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I am just starting to explore how to use the zquest editor, and I came across something I have not yet been able to solve. I am working with the pure tile set, and I made a cave on screen 80 of the overworld. I used tools>doors to make a door in the south wall. When I try to warp there for an item room, Link comes in slightly to the left of the door. He gets stuck and must be moved right half a space before entering up into the room through the door. The door seems to be in the middle, in the same position as is seen in other quests. How could I have Link enter through the door and be pushed into the room? (also, i am using v 2.10)

I appreciate any help on this topic.

- bezykb

ShadowTiger
08-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Ah. The cave room is virtually obsolete by now, to tell you the truth. :p I know that you're just beginning, and that's totally understandable, so I'll explain it in the following way.

ZC is becoming MORE than a "the Legend Of Zelda" clone. It's becoming an editor of whole words.

What people tend to do with that cave room there, is simply not use it at all. Instead, they make a Dmap devoted to things like that. It has the "cave" Dmap type, (Rather than Overworld, BS Overworld, or dungeon.) and looks like a house. You can set the Link Start Position just fine on screens like that, and they operate like any other area, only it's just one screen. :p

bezykb
08-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Britanniahero4,

Great! Thank you much for this explanation. This also answers several other problems I have been facing. Much appreciated.

bezykb

bezykb
08-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Using the method suggested by Britanniahero4, it seems much easier to make a cave. However, i am still having a little problem with the entrance.

I made an entrance/exit warp to screen 00 of a cave dmap, with level set at 10. I set the start position in the doorway, against the screen frame. When Link goes through the warp, he is placed on the start position, standing beneath the door frame where he can not be seen.

What I would is for Link to automatically walk slightly into the room where he can be seen as the message strings are displayed (the way it appears in other custom quests).

How is this done?

- bezykb

KJAZZ
08-11-2005, 02:26 AM
I thought it had to be set as a Dungeon DMAP... Could be wrong, though. :shrug:

bezykb
08-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Changing the dmap to dungeon type does seem to fix this problem.
Thank you, Kjazz.

However, it is not clear to me what the cave type dmap is used for, as opposed to dungeon type. Perhaps someone could clarify this?

bezy

Cloral
08-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Cave type dmaps don't have dungeon walls. This is why Link does not step forward when entering one. In all other respects though, a cave dmap is the same as a dungeon dmap. So if you want to create a level that doesn't have side walls, cave dmaps would be the way to go.

bezykb
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Thank you for your help, Cloral.

Cloral
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Oh and I forgot - there is one other difference between a cave and a dungeon dmap. In dungeon dmaps, any secrets you trigger will get reset once you leave the screen. But in a cave dmap, like in the overworld, secrets are permanent.

KJAZZ
08-11-2005, 11:53 PM
But wait, with the quest rule "Freeform Dungeons", doesn't that make them virtually the same, except for the secret activating?

Or did I just completely get wrong what the "Freeform Dungeon" rule is for.. ;O