PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new computer?

zoraking
08-09-2005, 12:03 AM
I'll admit it, this heap of junk is old (10 years), but it's still puttin'. I've been ok with this computer up 'til now, because this computer has reached a new low. It can't even play SNES roms at full speed.

Do any of you have crappy computers too? Or do you all have non-obsolete machines?

Machiavelli
08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
My shit is pretty old too. I have two computers. One is good but doesn't connect to the internet yet. The one I'm using now is crappy. 5yrs. Its windows ME. Garbage, really. I dare not run too many programs at one time on it. Once the other one is on the internet, It'll be no looking back. I still want a new computer though. I would've had one by now if we didn't move. Moving is expensive.

Beldaran
08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I have a nice computer that I originally built in 2001, and have upgraded a couple of times over the years. It has a nice geforce video card (256mb, fast, etc), a 2.6gz processor, and 1 gig of RAM. Along with my LCD monitor, I'm a happy camper.

You should haggle your parents into upgrading. A ten year old comptuer is ridiculous, if your interested in computing, games, digital art, or whatever. Computers from 1995 were obsolete in 1998.

phattonez
08-09-2005, 12:24 AM
We have a computer in my brother's bedroom that is anywhere from 14 to 11 years old. It was good for a long time, but it won't even turn on anymore. Since that time, we've had 5 computers, but that computer lasted about 5 years.

Starkist
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Old computers are awesome. I have a series of machines dating back at least ten years. My computer however is a year old system with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4. Need to replace the video card though.

zoraking
08-09-2005, 12:54 AM
You should haggle your parents into upgrading. A ten year old comptuer is ridiculous, if your interested in computing, games, digital art, or whatever. Computers from 1995 were obsolete in 1998.

Yeah, I'd do that if we had money. People just can't talk out their problems, they have to get 3 divorces :rolleyes:. Also, if we did have money, they wouldn't buy it for me, they make me work for it. I hate a $10/wk allowance. 2 years of that and I can buy a computer. I'll be working at McDonalds within those 2 years, for a car though.

slothman
08-09-2005, 01:45 AM
No. Well if you can't play SNES games maybe. Mine is from before 2k and it works fine. I will probably get a new one for Civ4 but now I am fine.
I am of the group that keeps the old until it doesn't work, and even longer. I don't need 5 Ghz so I'll stay for now.

Beldaran
08-09-2005, 02:07 AM
If I can afford it, I buy or upgrade computers anytime there is a worthy tech advance. If processor speeds go up by 500-1000 mhz, new comp. If video cards make a leap, new video card.

Granted, I can rarely afford this, so I don't upgrade 1/20th of what I'd like. But there's just something about having stone cold computer hardware that makes me happy inside.

Starkist
08-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately I built my computer right before PCI-E debuted, leaving me with a top of the line motherboard that only supports AGP graphics. If I ever want to upgrade my video card, I have to upgrade the motherboard too.