PDA

View Full Version : The Game Boy Micro

Strider1982
08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Forgive me if there's already been a thread on this subject. I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd start one.

I assume that most of you guys are familiar with the stuff unveiled at E3, so it's not like I'm presenting any big news or anything.

Seems Nintendo is releasing an even smaller, cell phone size incarnation of the GBA. It looks interesting, but I sure hope it's not too small to actually use the buttons or see what's going on in the screen.

Game Boy Micro:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/615/615160p1.html

MottZilla
08-07-2005, 12:34 AM
You forgot to mention it's going to have a backlit screen rather than the lighting the GBASP used. It's neat looking but I've already owned a GBP,GBA,GBASP, and NDS.

Cloral
08-07-2005, 01:08 AM
It's actually smaller than a cell phone. So small, in fact, so as to be rather difficult to play. I couldn't get the thing to fit in my hand properly, I felt like I was in danger of hitting both face buttons whenever I tried to press one, and the details on the screen were too smal to see them clearly. It really felt more like a tech demo ("see how small we can make this thing") than an actual system I would want to buy.

Beldaran
08-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I fail to see how a normal gameboy/color/advance/sp isn't portable enough. Although, I'm slightly biased becaues I carry around a bag with me in which I have a calculator, some pens and paper, my wallet, my PDA, and my gameboy. (amongst a few other things). So I don't have a problem at all with my SP not being portable enough. I don't see a huge market for the micro. Who knows though?

Master Ghaleon
08-07-2005, 01:24 AM
I wouldnt buy that, too small for me. I rather save my money to buy one of the new consoles that will come out.

Grasshopper
08-07-2005, 02:22 AM
I think its rather cool myself, but a waste of money for me. I do find it amazing to see a full fleged gaming system compacted in such a small space. If I had cash to burn, I'd want it in a heart beat. But I mean that as in, if I dropped a $100 bill, I wouldn't bother turning around to pick it up. Which isn't the case.

dandruff man
08-07-2005, 02:37 AM
really? that is funny. if you see my thread on companies that should give games a rest, (not again!) i think that the game boy although not a game, would be a perfect example.

*b*
08-07-2005, 02:56 AM
nintendo has taken a HUGE step backward here. there are already two GBAs on the market, why put out a smaller one? just by looking at it, I feel like I'd break it the moment I plugged in my game. I think I'll stick with my oversized DS, thank you kindly

what I'd like to know is, does it have game link cable and GBA>GCN linkup capabilities? as in, the slots?

Strider1982
08-07-2005, 03:27 AM
"Because of its diminutive size and industrial-hip look, Game Boy Micro immediately identifies the person playing it as a trendsetter with discriminating style."

Okaaaay... that quote sounds disturbing. I hope the big N isn't really just releasing the Micro for trendy looks...

I'd definitely want to test the system out thoroughly before I'd even consider getting one.

dandruff man
08-07-2005, 04:38 AM
wait a second, that is what Nintendo says about thier new GB micro? now i have to go out and get one...

(what do you expect from a guy who responds to a fourm thread at 3:30 am on a saturday night while playing faxanadu?)

Darth Marsden
08-07-2005, 05:55 AM
I only have a GBA, so this appeals to me more then a SP. I never really liked the flip-top idea, but this, with it's interchangable covers (correct me if I'm wrong about that) and backlit screen, seems right up my alley. Maybe one day I'll see them in the shops!

MacWeirdo42
08-07-2005, 07:31 AM
OMG, I can't believe Nintendo did that. How many GBA's do we need? Wouldn't the gaming community be better-served by new technology, like a more powerful Gameboy? They're already portable enough. I'm quite happy with my SP (except for the fact that it has a dead pixel - oh well), and I can pretty much just stick it in my pocket if I want to take it with me. I can say one thing... Nintendo sure knows how to waste money on products with no market.

Tygore
08-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I'll stick with the SP, unless this turns out to be the NextGen Game Boy. Which, based on the IGN news report, it won't be.

Darth Marsden
08-07-2005, 11:06 AM
They've just ('just' being a relative term here) released the DS, so the next big thing from Nintendo handheld-wise was hardly going to be something that topped it. It's a nice little sideline which may yet tempt some people. I suspect we won't hear about the true GBA successor(sp?) for a while yet.

ShadowTiger
08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Quote irrelevant. You might end up swallowing it in your sleep. :sweat: :rolleyes:

Ganonator
08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
i found it to be ridiculously small. It's about the width of a credit card diagonally.

I guess if i was DESPERATE, I'd get one, but my DS covers playablity of a system that is no longer the front runner for its market.

Carcer
08-07-2005, 02:45 PM
This might have been a good idea to do a long time before the DS was released, even announced officially. Now, I can't find very many new GBA games, and those that do come out only seem to be things like the licence of "Madagascar", of whihc there is a DS equivalent - not that I'd buy it.
With a the third incarnation of the GBA coming out, will Nintendo have the new releases to support this for first time buyers of the GBA? I know that there is a lareg back catalogue now, but for how much longer will the GBA go for until it is truly supplanted by the DS? This is what seems to be happening in the shops near me.

Fabiano the Spy
08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
It looks interesting, but I'm done buying the GBA gameboys. Nintendo is doing all it can to make money off the GBA. New features don't really make me want to go get a new model of the GBA.

It still looks cool, and would be good to buy if you haven't already bought a GBA, and are just starting, but as said, it all really depends on the size.

Archibaldo
08-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm defintiely going to get just because its so small. Besides, I don't think it's going to be more than $100 (Cdn.). The GBASP is now only like $85(Cdn.).

Darth Marsden
08-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Maybe you're just not looking in the right shops Carcer. Every game store I go into has a pretty good selection of GBA games. That said, they don't have that many DS games, so maybe once it's taken off I'll see a repeat of what's happening to you, but it's not happening just yet over here.

MottZilla
08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
You know what I've seen in this thread is people that don't want it simply already have a GBA or two. I don't think Nintendo is targetting you. This is ideal for people who'd love a very small system I guess, and also it's good for those that don't have a GBA yet. Personally, I'll stick with my GBASP and NDS forever.

Shoelace
08-10-2005, 03:52 AM
I have a GBASP so I see no need for this. Plus the DS is a better deal so why would anyone want this? As you can see I am not interested.

PolygonX8
08-10-2005, 08:15 AM
The whole concept of its size is interesting, but I have to assent with many here that it is far too small for playing.

KingArthur
08-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Well.. Rumor has it that these things are going to release for about $50, so its a good deal for someone thta never got a GBA before due to price, or wants a newer system and cant afford a $150 DS

Strider1982
08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I'd be surprised if the GBM was released for $50...Nintendo almost always starts their products out at a high price then gradually reduces them.

GBA games not made by Nintendo started out at $39.99, then went down to around $30.

The GBA SP started out at around $100, then went down to $80ish, and so on.

The GameCube started out at $200, and went down in price WAY too fast, I think.

I bet the Micro starts out around $100...

Linkafier
08-14-2005, 01:33 AM
I thought up some cool slogans for Nintendo's new portable system.

"Gameboy Micro: The Ultimate near-sighted experience".
or
"Gameboy Micro: Mine's smaller than yours!".

Darth Marsden
08-14-2005, 09:24 AM
How about...

"Gameboy Micro: Because smaller is bigger, apparently."
"Gameboy Micro: You know you want it."
"Gameboy Micro: Proof that we're never out of ideas."
"Gameboy Micro: Insurance extra."
"Gameboy Micro: Size REALLY doesn't matter."
"Gameboy Micro: Actual size... for once."

MottZilla
08-15-2005, 02:18 PM
How bout Gameboy Micro, Compact for easy storage in your ass? Seriously get over complaining about the GBM. It's no different than the Gameboy Player for GC.

Dragon
08-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I was actually very interested in getting the gameboy micro to play some of my older gameboy games, but for some reason Nintendo decided to leave backwards compatability out. What is the sense in that. I can play gba games on my DS, but since my sp had an unfortunate accident I was looking forward to getting a hip new Game Boy Micro to play the old stuff.

Cloral
08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
They probably did that to save space. Remember, that thing's tiny.

MottZilla
08-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Oh really? That's lame. GBASP is definitely still king then.

Darth Marsden
08-16-2005, 06:44 AM
How bout Gameboy Micro, Compact for easy storage in your ass? Seriously get over complaining about the GBM. It's no different than the Gameboy Player for GC. I've got one of those as well. I'm such a Nintendo fanboy. On the other hand, it is great for playing Zelda games - I can play every official Zelda game on my Gamecube now. w00t!

I'll grab a GBM when it drops down to about £40-£50. And I so hope they call the next proper Game Boy GBX - Game Boy eXtreme. That'd be totally rad, man. Killer.