PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Choppy Slideshows

Darth Marsden
08-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I knew not to expect much, but it was a fiver and I thought 'What the hell'. So I install Driv3r (4 gigs! Good god...) and load it up. In my foolishness, I think to myself that my machine will be able to run it at 1280x1048. So then I try to actually play it.

GAH!

I can barely move. It's like a slideshow. So I quit and gradually knock down the resolution. I try again. Still problematic. I lower the resolution again. I switch to 16-bit rather then 32-bit graphics (which I really should have done first, but ...), I turn off all the twiddly options and then I try again. And it's not too bad. The on-foot sections aren't as bad as I'd heard. It's actually kind of... fun. Then I get into a vehicle.

Slideshow. I'm at 800x640. My machine can run Doom 3 at a higher resolution then that. Doom 3! And this just looks terrible, and it still runs like crap. I am so irritated...

My solution to this was to uninstall Driv3r and try to play San Andreas, but whouldn't you know! It crashes as soon as I start a new game. I don't even get to see the in-game graphics, it dumps me back to the desktop as soon as the loading screens are done. What fun. Off to search for fixes now, hope they'll work. Till then, all I've got is True Crime, with it's dodgy controls and very irritating camera. Bah.

So. What similar experiences have you had with games, and if you solved them, how?

Beldaran
08-06-2005, 07:31 PM
I remember back in the days when X-Wing first came out, it was a DOS game... and you had to manually configer in the command.com file how DOS used virtual memory in order to run it. So I spent hours reading DOS manuals until I finally got X-Wing to run. Of course, my dad was angry because now nothing else worked on his computer. But X-Wing ran great! :)

Darth Marsden
08-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Ah, those were the days. I used to have a million boot disks, one for each game. One for Tie Fighter (which was 14 disks itself, I believe), one for X-Wing, one for Dark Forces...