PDA

View Full Version : In depth Zquest tutorial

gryxzl
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Gentle gamers:

There are SO many talented people on the ZC forums, and so many different and varied views as to what makes a good quest. We owe a lot to people like Phantom Menace and AlphaDawg. Yet one thing still troubles me: THERE ARE NO UP-TO-DATE TUTORIALS available. While IDontKnow has posted a link to some great tips (Thanks), another tutorial for the nOObs (a la AlphaDawg's e-book) and a tutorial on custom tile building, pallette editing, and basic game functions would be greatly appreciated. ZC 2.10 is a great product, and will continue to be, but only with the continued support and influx of fresh, new ideas. With proper training and/or coaching from quest designers in the know, we all can help make ZC the premier gaming platform for the true Zelda enthusiast. Just my 2 cents.

Gryxzl

Zelda_Warrior
08-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Then you would have to rewrite the whole thing if a new version comes out because things get moved around in versions and stuff, plus if people put the effort to it you don't need a tutorial, maybe for warps and flags, but you can figure out the rest by experimenting can't you?

gryxzl
08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
The problem I see is the lack of decent quest designers WILLING to share their knowledge with the FEW of us that are new to ZC. Take myself, for instance. I've got some kick-ass midis and Final Fantasy graphics, but NO ONE is wiling to help me convert this into a tileset THAT EVERYONE can use. I would GLADLY share the file with all, but can't begin to figure out where to begin. EVERYONE I talk to says the same thing - EXPERIMENT AND YOU'LL EVENTUALLY FIGURE IT OUT. Why should the nOObs be denied the same opportunies as the rest of ZC, simply because we're nOObs? All I'm asking is for those in the know to quit being so secretive with their methodologies, and help SUPPORT the ZC enviroment, rather than leach off it. Imagine how many people would use Windows if they had the same attitude - "I can't help you, even though I know what I'm doing. You'll figure it out." The first time someone told me that, I'd be looking for a new OS, computer, or whatever. Unfortunately with ZC, this is it...

Freedom
08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
My page (link in my sig) has links to 4 tutorials, and there are some pages of my own on things like how palettes work and the mapmaker.
As for converting your tileset, do you have any idea how long that takes, maybe before getting upset you should realize what you are asking of people.

Zelda_Warrior
08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Have you even looked at Alphadawg's tutorial? Go to the tutorial thread and look in there for a link.

Kingboo30
08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Hmmm...AlphaDawgs is down ao use this one although it doesn't lead you by pictures. http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/LTM/Tutorial/Page00.htm

gryxzl
08-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Have you even looked at Alphadawg's tutorial? Go to the tutorial thread and look in there for a link.
Yes, Zelda Warrior, I downloaded Alphadawg's tutorial AND printed it out so I'd have ready reference (even if it is outdated, it's the best thing going). And as far as me being upset, please do not take it that way, as I was NOT implying anything. I just find it frustrating that the senior members are so secretive with the talents they have developed. There are some really talented designers out there, and I'd like the oportunity to develop a kick-ass game like Cole, Fatcatfan, and others have done. I've got tons of gifs and bitmaps, and don't posess a clue as to how to turn them into tiles. I'm working on getting Final Fantasy 2-6 enemy bitmaps, as well as Star Tropics, Kirby, and Mario series. I also have some Genesis bitmaps from the Phantasy Star series, as well as Civ 2 and Warcraft/Starcraft, MOO2, Pokemon, and Elder Scrolls. If anyone knows where to get Wild Arms, I'd do a bitmap set for that, too... BTW, I have a registered copy of Noteworthy Composer. It's the shiznit for creating MIDIs.

laughing1989
08-20-2005, 12:17 PM
You know, the people that are "in the know" had to learn it by themselves... and they got very good with it, apparently. Thats why people tell you to experiment, because thats how they learned it. I'm sorry people are a little lazy, but not everyone wants to stick around writing a tutorial and updating it each and every beta release. Its more of a hassle than a help, actually.