PDA

View Full Version : Not again!

dandruff man
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Okay while we dream up of sequels that we would love to see, what about the opposite? What game titles do you cringe at when they make another part or a off shoot of the game (i.e. mega man battle network)? My personal one is mega man X. give it a rest capcom, please.

the mega man x series is like the "land before time" (cartoon) of video games. nobody really knows how parts there are, and nobody really knows why they keep making more. lol. So, what are other games do you think they should just give it a rest?

Beldaran
08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Doom and Quake. You can only stomach so much brown metal dark hallways before you're ready for something new.

Final Fantasy. None of the games are related, they should all have different names and be unique games. By calling them all Final Fantasy, Square is basically just cashing in on the name.

Mortal Combat. Give it a rest, Midway. It was cool in like 1992 when it was still shocking to see blood in a video game.

I'll probably think of more later.

Brasel
08-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree with the Mega Man X...god I wish Capcom would just kill the Mega Man series. I used to be a huge Mega Man fan but, anymore its just rediculous. I'll settle with my Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and whenever the Mega Man X collection comes out, I'll get that too, but no more Mega Man than that.

Grasshopper
08-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I would say the Tony Hawk franchise. Its gone from Pro Skater to Underground to American Wasteland. Its only so bad because they have one every year, and to the point now that you know what to expect.

Come to think of it, sequels to popular game series are pretty much an easy cash cow for publishers. They know it will sell, so they get developers to crank one out ever year. The market is saturated with sequels to games that come out every year (although some are pretty good) while games that should have sequels never see the light of day. Games cost so much, its easier to make a sequel you would sell then to create a new franchise.

KJAZZ
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Totally the Legend of Zelda. What's up with them keep on making sequels? :badrazz:

But in all seriousness, I don't like the direction Mega Man is going in right now. More importantly though, this may not exactly a sequel, but they really need to stop making WW2 games.

Really. :blah:

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Pokemon. Please Nintendo, pokemon is the only reason I don't respect you. Kill it please.

vegeta1215
08-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Pokemon. Please Nintendo, pokemon is the only reason I don't respect you. Kill it please.

Pokemon is a great game, they just need to "refresh" the series and add something new. The shadow Pokemon thing in Colosseum was a cool idea, but not that cool. Pokemon XD (upcoming Pokemon game for GCN) will have the shadow Pokemon too. :(

I thought the internal clock and timed events added a whole new level of game-play in Pokemon Gold, which is the best game in the series imo, but I'm not sure whether that feature is in the newer games :shrug:

Tygore
08-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Pokemon is actually a really good game. Yeah, the marketing sucks, but the game itself is actually really good. I suggest you give Emerald a try- go ahead, I DARE you to beat the Battle Frontier.
(EDIT: Vegita beat me to it. Yeah, G/S added some great elements to the game. The clock is in R/S/E, but no day or night, sadly. Only timed events, like the berries. The contest minigame is a nice touch, though.)

I REALLY don't like the way the new Sonic games are headed. Shadow should have stayed dead. I know he's cool and hip and has street cred (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=140) and all taht, but the story was much better when he sacrificed himself to save the world.

Aliem
08-06-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm goin with Final Fantasy VII. Sure it was a fun game, but this whole thing is getting outta hand. Started with Advent Children, moved to Derge of Cerberus, then Before Crisis, Crisis Break, and all those crappy mobile phone mini games.

King Aquamentus
08-06-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm thinking of a game series that starts with "mario" and ends with "party".

vegeta1215
08-06-2005, 04:05 AM
(EDIT: Vegita beat me to it. Yeah, G/S added some great elements to the game. The clock is in R/S/E, but no day or night, sadly. Only timed events, like the berries. The contest minigame is a nice touch, though.)

G/S had day, night, and morning! :D I thought the phone was a cool addition to G/S too, allowing you to fight trainers you met earlier on. Oh, and being able to explore the whole Kanto region again was great! Love that game.

I forgot to mention the dual battles in Ruby/Sapphire - they add a lot more strategy to the game, but I like the simplicity of the one-on-one battles myself.

I think Pokemon would be a good candidate for MMORPG. A while back IGN had an article with ideas for such a game. It was a neat read. Even though I haven't played Pokemon in a while, I look forward to seeing what Nintendo can cook up. (actually, I'm thinking about picking up Pokemon Yellow. I already have Red and Blue, but I borrowed Yellow from a friend once and the differences in Yellow are fun)

Grasshopper
08-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I think Pokemon would be a good candidate for MMORPG. A while back IGN had an article with ideas for such a game. It was a neat read. Even though I haven't played Pokemon in a while, I look forward to seeing what Nintendo can cook up. (actually, I'm thinking about picking up Pokemon Yellow. I already have Red and Blue, but I borrowed Yellow from a friend once and the differences in Yellow are fun)

I totally agree. I've been saying this since before the Gamecube came out. The whole Pokemon theme is set up so well, that how couldn't it not be one. Pokemon just screams PvP.

I've not owned or played a Pokemon game since Yellow. The gameplay is really fun, which has got me thinking about getting Emerald.

Dechipher
08-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I really agree about Mario Party.They should be working on like number 3 or 4 right now. 1, fine, N64, great. Then Do a sequel, or two if you have to, on the GCN, and wait for the revolution. Give gamers time to enjoy the games. I'v eplayed 1-3 and thats it. If I bought one, I would probably buy either 1 or the newest one. No middle ones, because who cares? They're obslete now.

Darth Marsden
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Mario Party, 3D Sonics (the GBA/DS ones may continue, however, because they're kinda cool), Megaman Battle Network, and one more that's on the tip of my tongue. Oh yes - MOVIE CASH INS.

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-06-2005, 02:19 PM
By kill Pokemon, I wasn't saying the old games were bad. The new one's are bad. Emerald and Sapphire were terrible and a big step down for the series, and Fire Red and Leaf Green where rehashing of the first 2 games, but with 1 or 2 new features and better graphics. If your not going to innovate the genre, then stop making new games. The only good thing about Emerald/Sapphire was the 2 on 2 battles.

Strider1982
08-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I think I'd also agree about Mario Party. Each new MP game seems to be more or less a rehash of the previous one. Pokemon seems to be going haywire as well.

On the other hand, a game franchise that I wish Nintendo HAD continued to make was the Super Mario Bros. series...

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Poke fans: try netbattle out for a spin. Competitive battling combined with a chatroom. Very user friendly and the battle system is quite deep. Emerald's Battle Frontier needs to be made into a multiplayer game.

Also: Mario Party, anything Mega Man, Medal Of Honor (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Dynasty Warriors (The games kick ass, but 2-5 are like all the same. Just stop.)

Axel
08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
I REALLY don't like the way the new Sonic games are headed. Shadow should have stayed dead. I know he's cool and hip and has street cred (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=140) and all taht, but the story was much better when he sacrificed himself to save the world.
That's the problem with cloning in games. One dies, activate another.

I can't really think of anything. I'd love to see a decent 3D Sonic game, although if they keep along the way they've been going I'd rather they stop making any Sonic games at all. The Mario franchise is annoying. Mario <-insert game/sport/event here->, absolutely no attempts to actually advance the series itself. The closest thing we had to a real Mario game on GC was Luigi's Mansion.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-06-2005, 07:36 PM
There IS a new 2D mario game coming out though, and at least Mario Tennis and Golf are both very good.

Darth Marsden
08-06-2005, 07:38 PM
There IS a new 2D mario game coming out though, and at least Mario Tennis and Golf are both very good. Actually, it's 3D, only you see it from a 2D perspective ala Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project.

</smug>

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Actually, in gaming context, 2D is anything that doesn't involve depth, IE the original sonic games.

</countersmug>

dandruff man
08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
super mario is not new. there i recanted my statement.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-06-2005, 08:13 PM
That should have been much funnier, but it wasn't :(

Axel
08-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Too drawn out. A run on sentence is only funny when done properly, which that was not. A better one would have been "The New dear-god-let-us-stay-afloat-long-enough-for-Twilight-Princess-and-Revolution-come-out Super Mario Brothers." Still not very funny. But not so horribly drawn out that no one can remember what the hell you were talking about in the first place.

dandruff man
08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
im sorry, i was just expressing an opinion. I didnt know that it was my duty to please you with humor.

Axel
08-06-2005, 10:50 PM
When you say something in that manner it's expected you make it funny. You see, a mockery is almost always humorous, if only in the way it takes a normal style and does something unexpected. If you were merely expressing an opinion you would not have placed it withing a prospective title. To do so would most deffinitely imply a parody, which is intended to be funny. This post would be another example, I am discussing a humorous topic and yet remaining in the detatched and impersonal style you might expect from a serious essay. Not exactly funny, but ironic.

Strider1982
08-06-2005, 11:59 PM
If you guys think the Mario franchise is going berserk, check out Gamestop.com. They have pre-orders for Mario Baseball and Mario Soccer.

There's also a Mario Dance Dance Revolution game. It would seem the plumber is going through a mid-life crisis and has to convert to every game genre possible.

goKi
08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Mario Party would be great on the DS. Anyone heard that announced?

Darth Marsden
08-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Mario Party would be great on the DS. Anyone heard that announced? No, but I wouldn't be surprised. Here's hoping it'd be better then Mario Party GBA. Ugh.

algam86
08-08-2005, 02:10 AM
These are all my opinions:

1. Mega Man should've died after X3. The PS ones suck, and X8 is tough, but not nearly as hard as what they said. I beat Hard mode in two days, and that's only because I couldn't find all of these items I was missing. I hate that game...

2. I'll wait for FFXII, then it can die.

3.HOW many Mario Party games have they made? One's good, six is asking for disaster. (Oughta bring Bombsketball back from 1.)

4.Tekken. (And that's not just because I don't like fighting games.)

5.If they're going to be like Sonic Heroes, 3D Sonic games...I liked SA and SA2, but not Sonic Heroes...I played one stage and quit.

6.The RaC/Jak series(s)...Up to the third one, they were pretty good, and I loved Up Your Arsenal... but since Jak X is a racing game, and Ratchet's by himself, fighting tons of enemies in Deadlocked...Aren't they supposed to be action/ADVENTURE games?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's all of them.

Darth Marsden
08-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Ah, someone else who doesn't like Sonic Heroes! Welcome to the club.

You also missed out Disney games. Really, how could you forget such a bland and pointless series of so called 'entertainment'? I'm almost ashamed. :p

dandruff man
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
i disagree kinda on the disney games. kingdom hearts was a good one. and so was ducktales for the nes.

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-10-2005, 09:38 PM
6.The RaC/Jak series(s)...Up to the third one, they were pretty good, and I loved Up Your Arsenal... but since Jak X is a racing game, and Ratchet's by himself, fighting tons of enemies in Deadlocked...Aren't they supposed to be action/ADVENTURE games?
I <3 the RaC series, but the next one should be the last. I agree with you on that.
I also agree with the person who said Dynasty Warriors, I <3 the game, but they are all exactly the same, just with 1 or 2 new characters. That's all they add.

Ganonator
08-10-2005, 10:30 PM
EA needs to stop making James Bond games, that's my number one issue.

Second, what's with all of this shit Nintendo ever pulled with Mario? I agree, Mario <subject> games need to stop. Go back to your roots and produce something that isn't garbage.

Axel
08-10-2005, 10:39 PM
The movies never end, why should the games?

Darth Marsden
08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
'cause you can kinda enjoy the movies when drunk. Can you do the same with games?

Has anyone played DDR with Mario? It's supposed to be pretty darned good fun. I know I'll be getting one, 'cause it's the only way I'll be able to keep in shape :D

Axel
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
James Bond movies have what just about every movie lately has been aiming for: gratuitous explosions and sex. But Bond wraps them up with a suave main character and a load of bad puns. And so the movies shall never die.

Darth Marsden
08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Ah yes, but now that The Bourne Identity & The Bourne Supremacy (along with the no doubt forthcoming The Bourne Ultimatum) have shown the world how to do a spy film, surely it's time for the Bond films to undergo a bit of a rethink?

No more Star Fox games! We've had our fun, now go away. You can't touch The N64 one, so don't try.

Axel
08-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Dude, Assault had everything I wanted from Star Fox. And more. When they've finally got it right, why stop? Seriously, that game was everything that Rebel Strike was supposed to be.

Darth Marsden
08-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Because once you've got it right, you can only go downhill. Would you want a substandard sequel reuining your StarFox experience?

And no more games by Buena(sp?) Vista. I started playing Tron 2.0 again, but after the first level all the sound started going really slowly. No amount of twiddling or patching could fix it, and the company just doesn't care about it's customers. Evil money-making gits.

Axel
08-13-2005, 07:37 PM
What if the sequels stay consistent in quality, or even improve. More Star Fox ain't gonna hurt anything.

Darth Marsden
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
What if the sequels stay consistent in quality, or even improve. More Star Fox ain't gonna hurt anything. If that's the case, then I will happily admit that I'm wrong. Doubt it, but who knows.

Also, no more games published by Monte Cristo or Jowood. Gah.