PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Ten Rock Artists

dandruff man
08-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Okay while it can be said that almost anyones favorite band is the "best rock band ever" i really want to see what you guys think. It can be any genre of rock, (classic, metal, alternaitve, 80's pop, punk, alt. country, etc.) When you post please have something intellegent to say, dont put a band just becuase you like one song. This has to be a band that you really love and has put an influence on.

(Please make your list in numerical order)

Here is mine

1. Led Zeppelin
2. The Beatles
3. U 2
4. Nirvana
5. Pearl Jam
6. Jimi Henderix
7. The Cure
8. Smashing Pumpkins
9. Oasis
10. Cold Play

( a couple that are great but didn't make the top 10 list: Snow Patrol, Green Day, Soundgarden, Alice and Chains, the Foo Fighters)

theplustwo
08-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't know if I can put mine in order that specifically, but I'll try:

The Apples in Stereo
The Lovin' Spoonful
The Ramones
Cake
Wilco
The Flaming Lips
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Presidents of the United States of America
The Helio Sequence

Honorable mentions: Three Dog Night, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Steve Miller Band, Fastball, Fatboy Slim, Smash Mouth, The Hives, Ben Folds Five, The Who, Pavement, The Association and Led Zeppelin.

Of course The Beatles should be in there too, but I sort of figured that they don't count since they're so universally appreciated.

Beldaran
08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
[The following list just reflects my opinions as of this moment. =) ]

1) Jimi Hendrix - I think I put him here not because of his music specifically, but he was one of the main guys who opened people's eyes to the idea of the guitar as an assault weapon- a gun aimed at the heart of the establishment. Through Hendrix, we came to know guitar driven music that burned, sexualized, and smacked us around.

2) Led Zeppelin - Enter the devil. Led Zeppelin took rock from "flower power" to "glower power". They were dark, sexy, talented, and heavy. At the time, Led Zeppelin was blues fuled death metal. Listening back, it sounds tame to us, but if you view it in the context of the time, these fuckers wer BAD.

3) Van Halen - In the era of the "singer songwriter", when teenagers had nothing to choose from except thoughtful acoustic ballads or comic book comercial rock like KISS, comes Van Halen. They were a swaggering quartet of smoking, drinking, california party rockers that basically said "Fuck You." to boring suburban america, inspiring people to cut the sleeves off their t-shirts, drive too fast, and drink too much. Van Halen kicked rock and roll in the balls and didn't bother to apologize. In the high school establishmentof the modern music industry, they were the bad kids smoking cigarettes in the bathroom and putting their hands up girl's skirts.

4) Metallica- If rock and roll in the 80's was a glittering luxury cruiser of excess and make-up, Metallica was a jet powered cast iron battle cruiser out for blood. They stomped, crushed, and screamed their way to the top, leaving a smoking wake of sonic destruction in their path. Just about every single metal band on the planet today owes a large part it's inlfluence to Metallica.

5) Nirvana - In a world where Air Supply was getting radio play on the rock stations, and rockers wore more make-up than a drag queen on Hollywood Blvd, Nirvana donkey punched everyone back into reality. They reminded us that big corporations suck ass, high school is full of drooling retards and a backwards social ladder, being a primadona yuppy cock was lame, and society in general sucked a certain amount of ass. They did it with heavy, blistering guitar, heart breaking vocals, and an over-all healthy disrespect for everything pretentious.

6) Pantera - Fuck the industry, fuck the board of directors, fuck the next door neighbor, fuck the news, fuck politicians, fuck the status quo, and fuck you. No record industry support, no radio play, no label interest, no prospects... millions in album sales. Pure, destructive honesty at full volume.

7) Rage Against the Machine - What do you call a band that invents its own genre of music, brings real issues of social injustice to the forefront of their image, sells million of albums, and kicks your ass with some of the most mind stomping music you can imagine? You call them legends.

8) The Doors - A dark, counter-culture spanish jazz influenced neo classical rock band on a mad spiritual quest for enlightenment and bliss tears a hole in what people expect out of rock music. Long live the Doors.

9) Pink Floyd - Edgey anti-pop trip space rock that will never be recreated. Some bands are just completely unique and their place in rock history is undeniable.

10) Nine Inch Nails - Out of the mind of a single musician comes a hell storm hurricane of insight, rage, sex, and intrigue. NIN redefined the role of the recording studio in metal music. Unique, loud, offensive, and beautiful, NIN has a special place amongst rock and roll's most dangerous and awesome bands.

King Link
08-04-2005, 03:20 PM
The following is in no particular order because my favourites seem to change around a lot.

1) My Chemical Romance
2) Silverstein
3) Underoath
4) Anberlin
5) Alexisonfire
6) Louix XIV
7) Against Me!
8) Hopesfall
9) Taking Back Sunday
10) Blue Skies At War

I have trouble liking most music that's over fifteen years old. :tongue:

theplustwo
08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
King Link, why did you number it if it's in no particular order?

Beldaran, The Doors are just a bunch of drunken buffoons posing as poets. Give me The Guess Who any day. They have the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic.

King Link
08-04-2005, 04:49 PM
That... I'm not sure why... hahaha. It's automatic I guess when I list things. But I don't like one anymore than any others. Just ignore the numbers.

Darth Marsden
08-04-2005, 04:53 PM
No order (that'd be too cruel), but here they are anyway.

- Muse
- Linkin Park (One of my favourites - Crawling got me into the rock scene)
- Limp Bizkit
- Evanescence (Listening to them now... woo!)
- Queen
- Nickelback
- Greenday
- Good Charlotte
- No Doubt
- Del Amitri (Light rock, but still rock. Downfall is arguably one of the greatest songs ever)

Carcer
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm assuming that rock is the general term for anything like punk, metal, etc?
In no order then, it is:
Reel Big Fish: Quite possibly the greatest Ska band of all time.
Less Than Jake: Ditto.
The Mad Caddies: Ditto. They must all be the same band somehow...
Streetlight Manifesto: Ska. Perhaps they're planning a world takeover or something.
NOFX: The Ska Airforce then.
InMe: A marvelous UK Grunge band. I've seen then live - they sound better that way.
Spunge: Maybe Ska is the zombie uprising that thread was talking about.
Jimmy Eat World: Not Ska, but some good emo. Not sourge-of-the-earth emo.
System of a Down: Everyone knows System. They have a new album out in November apparently. is this true? They have one Ska song.
Sum41: The band that got me into this genre, so they had to go on the list. They are actually quite good, too.

Like King Link, I have trouble liking music over fifteen years old. Especially things like Queen and Led Zep. I know that they are legends and all, and I agree that they play excellently. Or played.

dandruff man
08-04-2005, 07:04 PM
ya i think they do have a new album out in Nov. makes sense. Even though they just came out with Mesmorize, they have written over 100 new songs for that album and if this is the case im sure a fall release will allow them to show more of thier material.

Masamune
08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok step back, guys. Killer music coming through.

- Tool
- A Perfect Circle
- Deftones
- Mudvayne
- Rage Against The Machine
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- NIN
- Thursday
- Journey (fuck yeah)
- Orgy

Best bands evar.

MANDRAG GANON
08-04-2005, 11:27 PM
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Rush
3. Hideto Matsumoto
4. Beatles
5. David Bowie
6. Frank Zappa
7. The Guess Who
8. Stone Temple Pilots
9. Miyavi
10. Buddy Holly

This list was made by the first couple bands coming to my mind. I'll prolly think something different by tomorrow. (basically meaning, I put little though into this :o)

Starkist
08-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Just off the top of my head:

The Beatles
Queen
David Bowie
Elvis Presley
George Harrison
Bob Dylan
U2
Duran Duran
The Rolling Stones
Tears For Fears

Note the absence of anyone newer than 1985. :)

SomUnknown
08-06-2005, 03:37 AM
In the order I thought of them:

Vintersorg: A "band" that had trouble starting up because of constant line up changes, until one man decided just to do it all on his own (the man is now more commonly known as Vintersorg then by his birth name). Playing all instruments and only recently having a session drummer to help, Vintersorg has made some of the greatest music to date.

Nightwish: A great band that has managed to breakthrough somewhat into mainstream America. They have created some of the most beautiful music ever, which is paired together with an excellent professionally trained opera singer, making Nightwish one of the best bands out there.

Bathory: A band that was composed of a single man that went by the pseudonym Quorthon. This band created the sound that is now known as Black Metal, along with it's overly satanic imagery. Bathory was also the band that started the push away from Satanism to themes more tied in with local heritage and thus a second genre was born out of this amazing band, Viking Metal. Quorthon sadly passed away in the middle of creating the Silverwing album.

Iced Earth: A band formed out of one mans ego and made famous (relatively speaking) by another’s voice. This band rose out of poverty in Florida to become one of the most well known metal bands of this generation.

In Flames: A melodic death metal band that quickly rose to the top of the underground scene. Sadly though they decided to trade their musical talent for larger success. They even stated in an interview that they decided to change their sound to reach a larger American audience.

Ayreon: A construct of one man, Arjen, a previous hair metal rocker, who now composes metal operas with a host of guest vocalists.

Tristania: An excellent mix of death metal growls, operatic vocals, and over all beautifully brutal music. The genius behind the beauty of this band has; however, moved on to a new project: Sirenia.

No not ten maybe later, but probably not.

I do also enjoy classic rock. It's what I listen to when there is not a cd player handy.