PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Layers..

cachitin
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm new and I want to use layers to go under things like behind a house,under cliffs,etc. I've tried using layers but Link always seem to be under the walkable part where it is the first tile, the right side of the table.Please explain what these layers mean and also how to walk on that first tile instead of underneath it.

Espo
08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Since the question seems a little vague (at least to me) I'll just describe general layering and then you can follow up with more detailed questions.

There are 7 layers (0-6). Layer 0 is the base layer that everything happens on. Layers 1 and 2 "exist" below the walking sprite level. This means that the player and any enemies that walk will be shownabove layers 1 and 2. Layers 3 and 4 are above the player, walking enemies and jumping/hovering enemies but below fliying enemies. You need to figure which enemies are flyers to really make good use of this idea. Layers 5 and 6 are above everything. So if you want to walk behind a house your combos for the 1st story of the house would be on layer 0 and the combos for the higher levels would be on a layer between 3 and 6 depending on how you want it to look.

Another point. Although layers 1 and 2 are on the same "height" layer 1 is still below layer 2. This is useful if say you want a bridge that you can see through and there are some bushes below that that do not take up a full tille and below the bushes there water or something.

Play around with it and it'll start to make sense.