PDA

View Full Version : Wow, an actual reason to get an N-gage(Civ2)

Daarkseid
08-02-2005, 05:22 PM
http://ngage.ign.com/articles/637/637897p1.html

All I can say is that for once, something has appeared for the appropriately maligned handheld that might actually make the system worth owning.

Might, who knows how well it would control, even with its revamped menu system. And theres also the fact I don't go out much, and when I do, my GBA half the time isn't present.

Still, Civ2 is one of the greatest PC games I've ever played, and probably the one game I've spent the most time playing. When I had a laptop(An old Pentium 133), the greatest thing was being able to take it with me on vacation and play Civilization II, in the car or in a hotel room. Theres suddenly a reason to potentially think about thinking about acquiring an N-gage, just for this game.

If you didn't like Civ2 that much or aren't a fan of turn based strategies, this probably isn't anything considerable.

fatcatfan
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd be more impressed if they used the wireless capacity so you can play "online", maybe even against old Civ II clients.

Beldaran
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't plan on buying an N-Gage, but I have to agree with Daark. Civ2 was an awesome game, and I played it soooo much back in the day. The only way to go in Civ2 is to have an oppresive communist regime and crush all your enemies with vast military spending and an iron fist of political will. God I loved that game.:)

Darth Marsden
08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
I never really got into Civ-style games. I just get bored if there's no specific mission to accomplish. That said, it's nice to see games like this appearing on handheld consoles, although N-Gage?

Daarkseid
08-03-2005, 07:59 AM
I never really got into Civ-style games. I just get bored if there's no specific mission to accomplish. That said, it's nice to see games like this appearing on handheld consoles, although N-Gage?

N-gage was probably chosen for its range of buttons, as I think the entire dial keys can be used by games. Civ2, like most PC games, makes use of a mouse and keyboard for input, and the range of commands in Civ2 are too numerous to mention. The menu interface, as mentioned in the article, has to be updated as a result, and there will supposedly be the mapping of commands to various buttons for quick access(all other commands would be accessed though a menu).

I could imagine, however, Civ2 being ported to the DS, where the touch screen could provide its own (truncated)keyboard and minimap that along with the stylus, could provide the necessary controls for such a game. The movement of units could be controlled with the D-pad and face buttons, with the d-pad moving sideways/updown and the face buttons moving units diagonally. While this isn't as intuitive as the keypad on a normal keyboard(which maps each direction to its corresponding key), on my laptop, which did not have a keypad, I'd use the Home/End/Insert/Delete keys for moving diagonally. This was very awkward at first, but eventually I developed the habit of pressing the right keys for the directions I wanted to move in, and such, I'm sure the DS controls could be similarly mastered.