PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever played this game?

bonegolem
08-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Has anyone ever played Rogue for DOS? It's like THE original RPG and it totally kicks butt. It's also super difficult. It took me like 3 months to beat. Kept getting killed by those blasted trolls.
http://members.cox.net/pmaranci/rogue.jpg
Proof that graphics are not what necessarily makes a great game.

Beldaran
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Yes OMG I used to have that game on my IBM PC. 8mghz of raw processing power, biatch!

My friend has that game emulated on his computer. It's fucking bad ass.

Darth Marsden
08-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I tried to play that once, but I couldn't do it! I need my pretty graphics! Sniffle

Foxx
08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Most awesome game EVER. Impossible, but awesome nevertheless. I've been playing it for about 15 years. The best I did was a game that got down to level 20 or 21, before a swarm of griffins and medusas took me out.

Has anyone actually considered making a ZC quest with those graphics? I know I have.

(EDIT)

It took me like 3 months to beat.
You mean you actually BEAT it!? To my previous knowledge only one person had ever done this in the whole world.
Please tell me you're not serious?

Verman
08-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Rouge and nethack ar eliek the greatest of all time. So much depth even though the games graphics are terrible.

nice and random too!

I have nethack on my pc right now and it gets more play then Dungeon Siege. *shrug* more fun :D

bonegolem
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, I only beat it because I saved my progress and restored the game after each death. By the time I was done, I had gone through 5 "maniacal laughter" scrolls, 2 polymorph wands, and I was weilding a +4 +1 two-handed sword. I think the final level (before you have to go all the way back to Level One with the Amulet of Yendor) is 27. By that time you're constantly bombarded by Nymphs, Dragons, Gryphins, and pesky Jabberwocks. Healing potions do you absolutely no good at those levels.

Beat Rogue without saving? Might as well blow in a rhino's face. Personally, I don't think anyone has ever made it out of the Dungeons of Doom without saving. To beat Rogue without saving would make you THE greatest (and luckiest) gamer of all time.

And speaking of a Rogue ZC Quest...just a little something I was working on before I started on Quest For Hyrlule 3...
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/masonsmith/zelda006.jpg
It's not completed of course. But the enemies, items and tileset are there. I suppose I'll eventually finish it, but there are bigger projects in store...and school.

Foxx
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Hmmm........ I considered trying that, but the game deletes your save file when you load it back up (devious) so in the end I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. The one time I had read about the game being beaten, it was done without a save state. It's mentioned on some odd website, and the guy had a two-handed sword of griffin slaying and used the name Mean Mama. For accomplishing this feat, this guy should be immortalized in gaming folklore.

As for beating the game using save states, I can imagine it has been done a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand times. It would still be harder than hell because in the really deep levels, you could get into an area where there are griffins and dragons everywhere you turn. I remember reading that 25 is the last level (I think it varies), and that to get the Amulet of Yendor you have to kill a Xeroc or some such. And I have to say it's nice to see that I'm not alone in having plans of a Rogue quest for ZC.

Dark Entity
08-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I've played Angband before, it's very similar... they have whole overworlds with scads of dungeons in some of the Angband variants.

http://www.thangorodrim.net/

bonegolem
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
A Xeroc mimics a regular item (looks like a wand or potion or scroll or something) but then it turns into an "X" and starts wacking you. Very lame. I thought it was funny how they gave the mimic monster such a similar name to the Xerox Copier Machine.

I didn't have to kill a Xeroc to get the Amulet though. It was just lying on the ground. Guarded by like 3 dragons! That would suck if the Xeroc mimics the Amulet. Or if you have to kill a Nymph to get it. Who knows? It might happen since the game is so random. That's the beauty of it.

MANDRAG GANON
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
I've played Nethack, which is similar. I love nethack, it's funny :o