PDA

View Full Version : Galaga - 100,000 points

Beldaran
07-30-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.forrestkyle.com/photos/hundredgrand.jpg

For the last couple days, I've been playing Galaga on my NES emulator and really enjoying it. It's a fun, fast paced, skill based arcade game. This morning I broke the 100,000 point barrier for the first time. I don't know if this is very good or not, but for me it was cool. I remember when I first started playing it was an accomplishment to break the 30,000 default high score.

Just to be clear, I wasn't using any emulator advantages. No save states, no turbo buttons, and I didn't use the cheat that causes enemies to stop firing at you. (I read about this on the internet.) It's just straight up Galaga as the arcade gods intended it. :)

So does anyone else enjoy Galaga? What's your best score? (ballpark figure)

What are some other good arcade games you really enjoy?

Masamune
07-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I thought I remember us having a Galaga Clone in the works. And it was playable. ...Did I just dream that or something?

vegeta1215
07-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I can't remember what my high score in Galaga is. It's been a while since I played it. The way to go though is to let your ship get caputed, and then retake it for double fire power!

I'm a huge Dragon's Lair fan, and am very excited that Ultracade is re-releasing it. Top Skater is another favorite of mine - I'm REALLY good at it. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is my current favorite fighter, but I really enjoyed Mortal Kombat 1-3 and Killer Instinct too when those were around. I never got into 3D fighters...

Beldaran
07-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I thought I remember us having a Galaga Clone in the works. And it was playable. ...Did I just dream that or something?

Yeah there used to be a project here called Galaga Advanced or something, but I guess the programmer disappeared, as programemrs are apt to do. :D

Masamune
07-30-2005, 01:17 PM
No shit, huh? Any idea where I can get what's left of it if it's even available anywhere still?

Darth Marsden
07-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I played the House of the Dead in the arcades today... got just under 50,000 points and claimed sixth on the leader board. £10 well spent! Couldn't feel my arms by the end of it, but bloody good fun all the same!

KJAZZ
07-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I remember that project, IIRC Repton was working on it. There was a beta once I think, but I have no idea if it's still anywhere.

But 100,000 points is wayyy more than I've ever gotten. I think my best was somewhere around 40,000 but I'm not too sure. :shrug:

Master Ghaleon
07-30-2005, 03:24 PM
At my work we have this arcade game. I was playing for a little bit over an hour straight and got to level 153. After I got to score 999,999 my score went back to 0 and the high score just was stuck on 999,999. After you hit the peak of 999,999 it would stop giving you extra lives.

fatcatfan
07-30-2005, 03:49 PM
It's just straight up Galaga as the arcade gods intended it.No, the arcade gods would have you standing at an arcade machine plunking in quarters while playing this, the Best Game Ever.

Galaga is the greatest of the classics IMHO. When I have the space and the cash, I want one of the new Ms Pacman / Galaga uprights they started making a few years ago. Has both games on it, and supposedly has the original Pacman too if you put in some kind of code. I'd also like a "Discs of Tron" environmental machine.

King Aquamentus
07-30-2005, 04:53 PM
For a while on Zhq2.com, I was the Galaga champion with a score of over 60,000.

Beldaran
07-30-2005, 06:22 PM
No, the arcade gods would have you standing at an arcade machine plunking in quarters while playing this, the Best Game Ever.

Well, you know what I mean. I wasn't cheating is all.

I agree, Galaga is the greatest of the classics. It's one of my favorite games. It requires a lot of skill and reflex.

MANDRAG GANON
07-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I used to be rally good at it when I was a kid but I forget what my high score was from back then. Recently the arcade where I play DDR got a Galaga machine so me and my friends have been playing it alot. I got just a bit over the default score.

Daarkseid
07-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Galaga is probably one of the best arcade games you could play, alongside Pac-man.