PDA

View Full Version : Your very first job!

Master Ghaleon
07-29-2005, 04:18 AM
What kind of job did you have for your very first one?

For me, I am still working at my first job ;) Ive been there for 12 years. I started out as a dishwasher and worked my way up to cook.

Brasel
07-29-2005, 07:53 AM
My first job was working at a company called Goedoke. They were a St. Louis based construction company. I was 15 years old pulling 7 bucks an hour doing inventory and general bitch work.

Verman
07-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Drivign a horse and carriage and giving one of those stupid ass tours. "Here on the left we have the grave of some guy you guys dont care about!"

Unless it was asian tourists...There was about 20-25 people per carriage and when the asians were always so happy and excited... They would cheer and clap about stuff most of us would ignore... Made it more fun to give the tour 'specially when they would die of laughter any time you made a joke no matter how stupid.

Glitch
07-29-2005, 08:15 AM
I worked at a movie theater. I started out as low level grunt, then worked my way up to management.

Shadowblazer
07-29-2005, 08:20 AM
My first job was as a busboy at the restaurant where my mother was a waitress. I was about 14 and only worked on friday nights and weekends at minimum wage. When I got that first paycheck I thought I was rich.

fatcatfan
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Bag-boy / cashier at the local Food Lion grocery. I was there for about two years before leaving for college.

Pablo
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Receptionist at my aunt's income tax preparation place when I was 14. Good times.

Machiavelli
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Peer educator on HIV/AIDS for Brooklyn Alliance. Started at 14 and I still work there now.

Saffith
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm still at my first job. I work at a web design company, doing PHP and ActionScript and such. It was just going to be for the summer, but now it seems I'll still be doing it when I go back to school.

Tim
07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Cashier at ShopRite for the past 6 months. I'll probably find a better job when I go to college.

vegeta1215
07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I started working at a video arcade on the boardwalk here in Ocean City MD when I was 13. I did that for a few years and now I work at an ice cream place on the boardwalk.

These have only been summer jobs though. During the school year I didn't really work until I became an RA my junior year of college. At the same time I was a assistant system administrator for a Linux lab. Also, just this past semester I worked at a retail store in the mall selling knives.

Beldaran
07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
My first job was a paper route. I used the ~$100 a month to save for my first electric guitar, a Fender Stratocaster. Paper routes are a crap way to make money. I'm glad I'm not still working there.:)

Ganonator
07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
At 15 I worked for a non-profit charitable organization as a document sorter. It sucked, and over spring break of the year, I had to mail 3000 envelopes. It totally sucked :-S

At least now I've got a great job. Times sure change.

Daarkseid
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Never had to work a day in my life. And I don't think I ever will.

Glitch
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Never had to work a day in my life. And I don't think I ever will.

I hate you.

SSJ3500
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Working at the furniture store I'm posting this from at this moment... They basically just call me in on days when they need stuff moved, assembled, or thrown away.

ShadowTiger
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I get called upon to babysit an autistic child once in a while. I also used to have an after-school job making $6 every other day during school days. It was okay. I'd get home from school around 2:45, surf the 'net for a while, then at 5:10, the 10 year old would come home, we'd play SSBM for half an hour, and help him with his homework, then his older brother would come home and I'd just go home as well. I miss that job. @_@'

Darth Marsden
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Bog standard paper route. Well, two really. It was kinda fun when I was accused of 'dumping' newspapers. Oh, the face of my boss when he came in and basically said 'You did it, now own up to it!' I didn't, of course, and next week week he was back all apologies and that. I quit shortly afterwards.

Daarkseid
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I hate you.

Sometimes its good to be an invalid.

Starkist
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
My first hourly wage job was at my college when I was 16, I was a computer center technician. Which means I gave students their printouts, at least until the moved the printer in front of the front desk. I also had a few odd summer jobs before that.

moocow
07-29-2005, 03:49 PM
I worked at TCBY. Free icecream and frzen yogurt, yum. It was like the best job ever. They hired me then the store closed 3 weeks later. I was pissed.

Rainman
07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
My first job was at a KFC/Taco bell. I was the cook/dishwasher/janitor/maintenance/anything-else. It was crap work with bad managment who fired people all the time. (They didn't want to keep people long enough for a pay raise to be warranted.) My problem was I didn't put any effort other than trying to look busy for the whole time I was there. I didn't learn how to make much of the menu and I hardly interacted with the co-workers. Eventually a convergance of shitty happenings lead to them firing me. I've learned to treat jobs as jobs now and not just an annoyance.

Archibaldo
07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
My first job was working at a retirement home. I had to serve food and wash dishes. I actually quit that job a little while ago. It sucked balls. It was so boring, there was no excitement, every day was the exact same routine.

But now, as my second job, I work at the local Pub. I love working there too, I get free food and drinks and the other day, the bartender bought me my first shot of tequila(sp?). It was awesome. Plus on days that's it's really slow business I just sit at the bar and listen to the drunks talk to the bar tender, some of thier stories are quite humourous.

Dechipher
07-30-2005, 02:22 AM
I worked at Us75.com (http://www.us75.com) But they're kinda closed, and kinda not.
IE they are a bunch of like, unorganized people who do too many drugs. So they don't kn ow whats happening to the company.

Starkist
07-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Whoever made that website is on drugs, for sure.

slef
07-30-2005, 02:47 AM
same job as I have now, I work at a tv station. I move cameras and sort scripts and... not much else.

Master Ghaleon
07-30-2005, 02:56 AM
I worked at TCBY. Free icecream and frzen yogurt, yum. It was like the best job ever. They hired me then the store closed 3 weeks later. I was pissed.

I would love to work at either TCBY or DQ ( Dairy Queen) for just for the Icecream.

King Link
07-30-2005, 04:04 AM
My first (and current) job is a CSR at Blockbuster.

phattonez
07-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Receptionist at my aunt's income tax preparation place when I was 14. Good times.
That's the exact same thing I'm doing, except it is my cousin's office. $7 and hour, good enough for now.

Lilith
07-30-2005, 05:02 AM
My first job was at a candle store. I told the manager that I was shy and it was my first job ever, so to be patient and let me try and get used to things. I got really bad vibes off him though...he just seemed really cold but fake friendly and...weird. As it was, he fired me after THREE DAYS OF WORK for not being "outgoing enough" which I thought was total bullshit. I greeted everyone, but I didn't push things on them which is what he apparently wanted. When he was there (which was only for a few hours on one day) he would practically leap on the customers the second they got in the store so I would just go and replace stock or whatever. He said he was "challenging" me. What a fag. Augh.

The bad part is, I can't mention this to any of my future jobs, because NO ONE gets fired after 3 days from a normal job unless they steal or kill someone or something. Except me, apparently.

The good part is, his store closed down just a little while later, probably because of his fay gaggotry. I went to the mall today and I saw it sitting there dark and empty and alone. PWNED. Also I have another job so I win.

Did really fuck me up at the time though, I ran out of the store sobbing and incredulous, looking so bad some lady handed me a Christian tract in Polish. Then having to drive home with my dad like that. Augh.

Carcer
07-30-2005, 07:07 AM
My first job... I'm not sure what the official title for it would be, but I helped maintain a network and some servers.
I was very glad to hear that I was being payed 20 pence more than the minimum wage per hour.

vegeta1215
07-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I would love to work at either TCBY or DQ ( Dairy Queen) for just for the Icecream.

We have soft and hand-dipped ice cream, italian ice, cannolis (our specialty), and many other desserts/food items at the place I work. It's fun to eat lots of ice cream at first, but you get sick of it quickly. Pretty soon you won't want to eat ice cream anywhere else cause you eat so much at work.

However, we have some awesome raspberry truffle ice cream, and I like to snack on that every now and then. ;)

moocow
07-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I worked at Us75.com (http://www.us75.com) But they're kinda closed, and kinda not.
IE they are a bunch of like, unorganized people who do too many drugs. So they don't kn ow whats happening to the company.

That website made me giggle. *giggles* :laughing:

Rammstein
07-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I used to wash dished and I hated it.

Now i'v got an ok 'above average' job but I still hate it :P