PDA

View Full Version : Other 8-bit classics?

dandruff man
07-29-2005, 03:02 AM
Hello, i am new to this zelda classic, and although i am thrilled at this, it is just zelda all of the time (absolutley nothing wrong with zelda!:laughing . i was wondering if there was a way that other 8-bit games could be altered. Like a 2D side scrolling game. Maybe a castlevania classic? Or even a more in depth 8-bit game, like say a final fantasy classic or a dragon warrior classic? Maybe even for you old skool gamers like me. (regular nes) Games that most people dont know of unless you grew up with reg. nintendo like "monster party" classic, or a "boy and his blob" classic?

I know tiles can be found to make any game a "zelda" game like those cool mega man, metroid and mario ports into a zelda version, but is there a way to remake classic games just as the people from this site made for zelda? my computer skills arent the best, so i was just wondering what you all thought, and if this is possible

Beldaran
07-29-2005, 03:14 AM
No. All computers on earth are incompatible with any form of 8-bit game except Zelda. Zelda is special because it comes from god.

Also, posting the same topic in multiple forums is considered bad form around here.;)

To answer your question non-sarcastically, yes it's possible to make a recreation of any older game on the PC. All it requires is someone with advanced programming skills, nothing to do, and the willingness to put a lot of work into something for free. Zelda Classic was programmed from scratch by a couple of programmers doing it for fun. It was a lot of work (er...it still IS a lot of work. heh.) and is not a task easily taken to. There are a thousand other projects just like Zelda Classic that are "in development" and it is likely that they will always be "in development" because it is human nature to start hugely ambitious projects and then abandon them once it becomes apparent that it is difficult and time consuming.

I'm sure more classic games will be remade. Where there's a complicated, seemingingly pointless challenge, there's a programmer waiting to solve it.:)

richie
07-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Where there's a complicated, seemingingly pointless challenge, there's a programmer waiting to solve it.:)

Such as me :laughing:.

No, I'm serious. Are you able to do some programming, dandruff man?
We could work together if you tell me which game you like most.

dandruff man
07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
actually there is a game. it would be awsome if we could reprogram a final fantasy game. but what are the chances that we could do it with a 16-bit game? i think it would be amazing to be able to do a remake of Final Fantasy 3/6. (the best FF ever)

richie
07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
lol

I'm playing FF3 at the moment.
If you can help or find someone who has programming skills, I will help.

Darth Marsden
07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Well, I'd advise you all to wait and see if it's going to be re-released as part of the Revolution's back catalogue before leaping into a remake. If not, then I'll happily help. Not much of a programmer, but that never stopped me before ;)

dandruff man
08-01-2005, 06:36 PM
i dont think that the new nintendo system will allow you to download 20yrs of all games for nintendo, just the past 20yrs of nintendo made games. so i highly doubt if there will be a port of FF III to the revolution system. i think that if we could get some programmers on a FF III classic web site, it will be awsome.

Darth Marsden
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
i dont think that the new nintendo system will allow you to download 20yrs of all games for nintendo, just the past 20yrs of nintendo made games. so i highly doubt if there will be a port of FF III to the revolution system. i think that if we could get some programmers on a FF III classic web site, it will be awsome. That's as well as maybe, but aren't they releasing a FFIII remake on the DS, thus negating the need for a fangame? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am, regretably.

EDIT: Nope, I'm right on this one. Sorry. (http://ds.ign.com/articles/554/554889p1.html)

dandruff man
08-01-2005, 07:40 PM
thats fine, it still would be awsome to do a FF III remake, there is so much to do in that game and discover, i am sure comming up with a good plot and script for the towns people would take a year to complete in itself. it would be a massive project i think worth tackling. by the by, does anyone know where the location of the blue ring is in the custom quest isle of the winds? ive been looking for that darn thing and i cant find it.

oh, and i saw the link, thanks for the update, i didnt know that. i am excited to see a FF port to the DS. i am a huge FF fan, but is that FF III? or FF III/VI from the snes version. i am hoping to do a FFIII/VI remake from the snes. thanks! :)

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-01-2005, 10:55 PM
FF III/VI sounds like a terrible DS game. It would be better if they just made it a normal, Gameboy Advance game.

Darth Marsden
08-02-2005, 07:36 AM
No, it's the NES version. About bloody time. The second screen will incorporate the crystals, or something. They haven't released much information.

I didn't realise you were talking about a FFVI SNES remake. If that's the case, I'd be happy to help whichever way I can. (For future reference, I count the NES games as 1, 2 and 3, and the SNES ones as 4, 5 and 6. 'cause that's what they are.)

Kry
08-02-2005, 09:34 AM
There are programs to alter maps and tiles and such in games like Mario and FF. Its not exactly a CLASSIC type of editing but it works.

Darth Marsden
08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
There are programs to alter maps and tiles and such in games like Mario and FF. Its not exactly a CLASSIC type of editing but it works. I know, I was hacking a Sonic 3K ROM when my graphics card died. Can't wait to get back to it. Not to blow my own horn or anything, but my new Chaos Emerald stages kick ass.

dandruff man
08-02-2005, 03:10 PM
i dont want to sound like an ass, but i have been reffering to the game as FF3/6 or FF III/ VI this whole time. :laughing: anyway, i probley could of made myself more clear so sorry bout that. anyway, i think it would be great to get this project going, the only problem is that i am a dreamer and not much of a knowledgeable person when it comes to computers.

if u want me to tune up your car or add a cold air induction system to, i am your man, but computers are past me. i am just a huge video game freak. (my girlfriend thinks that i am cheating on her with Zelda Classic! ha ha ha!)

Darth Marsden
08-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmm, I know what you mean. Not much of a coder myself, but hey! We could probably remake it in RPG Maker or something. I'd be happy to rip graphics and stuff.

richie
08-04-2005, 04:12 AM
I'm almost sure dandruff_man meant it to be more like ZC, with custom quests (dungeons,worlds) instead of a simple remake. This is impossible with RPG Maker. Instead, I would suggest using Game Maker (gamemaker.nl) (http://www.gamemaker.nl). You don't have to use any code (although I always do), so nearly everybody could work on it.

I got through FF3 yesterday. Now, I'm playing FF Tactics Advance (actually my brother's game). Wouldn't a game like FFTA using AGNers nice (so you i.e. start in a clan with me2 and Cloral)? It's just an idea and doesn't really belong here, but what do you think about it?

Hokie, I'm also quite sure that Nintendo didn't make FF3 an advance game cause they will never produce any gameboy games again. (Chances are high that you knew that, but I just write it here [My, I'm happy that this is not the General Bitching forums])

Darth Marsden
08-04-2005, 07:16 AM
As long as I'm in there with my lightsaber, I'm all for it!

Seriously, FFTA is a bit of a weird game. You can level up to ridiculously high levels by going into a battle and just casting cure on yourself over and over. 10 EXP each time. Easy.

As for the Zelda Quest thing, I see your point, but what I was tryingto say is that it's a game much more suited to something like RPG Maker since it is, in fact, an RPG.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/games/ff/ff6/locke/shock.gif

richie
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I still like FFTA. Of course, there have to be some changes for this game, but I was just thinking of the general idea - fighting + isometric view + 'comic'-style characters(?).

Huh, it's that Locke guy from FFVI?

dandruff man
08-04-2005, 12:56 PM
No dont get me wrong, i am talking about a massive project of rebuilding the world(s) of FF 6 in FF 6 format. Not in a ZC style.

Darth Marsden
08-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Huh, it's that Locke guy from FFVI?Seemed appropiate. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/games/ff/ff6/terra/wind.gif

DM, this is why I suggested RPG Maker rather then Zelda Classic. If you're after gameplay like FFVI, then you might be better off with a dedicated RPG engine rather then a top-down action-adventure engine. Just food for thought. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/games/ff/ff6/kefka/wave.gif

richie
08-09-2005, 03:49 AM
When you want to use RPG Makert, do it. I don't work with it. If no programming is needed, I can't help you.
I thought about a remake of FFVI already. Seems impossible in RPG-M.
Also, GM is no top-down action-adventure engine. This is what most users make it. You could do almost everything with it.