PDA

View Full Version : Marriage?

Master Ghaleon
07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Do you wanna get married ? Would you rather get married at an young age or wait til you get older?

I do wanna get married but I dont have a time line as to when. I also only wanna get married once. If it doesnt work out, i wil never marry again.

Ganonator
07-27-2005, 09:01 PM
If I found the right person, and pending legalities, I'd marry as soon as 23 or 24.

So yea, I totally would.

Dechipher
07-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I dunno. I always said no, then I saw it as a possiblity, now I don't know. I mean, ideally, if I'm with someone long enough, we might as well be married, but then again, you don't have to have it legalized to prove that you love someone.

goKi
07-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd love to get married to my current girlfriend at some time. We've spoken about it, and would both like it at some time. As to when, i don't know. Probably in the next 2-3 years, or later.

Breaker
07-27-2005, 09:11 PM
No. Marriage is bad.

Shadowblazer
07-27-2005, 11:10 PM
No. Marriage is bad.
Lies. Marriage rocks! (Note: This is not a trick)

War Lord
07-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Marriage is the same as living with the person, except if the shit ever hits the fan, they get half your stuff all the sudden.

Sounds awesome eh?

Beldaran
07-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Marriage is the same as living with the person, except if the shit ever hits the fan, they get half your stuff all the sudden.

Sounds awesome eh?

Thanks to Meritricious Relationships, they can get half your stuff anyway if they live with you long enough.

I myself don't plan on getting married, but if I might if I met the love of my life and I thought we would be good partners.

Orion
07-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Definetly :). I've been with my love for some time now. I also have several friends who are already married or are engaged.

Archibaldo
07-28-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm actually looking forward to getting married. But not untill I'm like 30. That way I'll have a good 12 years to find the perfect person for me.

Lilith
07-28-2005, 02:07 AM
I dunno. One thing I do know is that living with your sex partner can ruin a lot of things...augh. I don't know, I just think if I was romantic with someone or in a relationship I wouldn't want to be with them all the time. I need alone time and privacy, especially after hanging out with someone special.

Pretty much...I kind of want a long-lasting relationship, someone I am with for a long time at least as close friends and a little more, but I don't know, I really like having freedom to experiment sexually or sharing partners etc. So I would like a long relationship, but not really a typical one.

I am thinking of getting married to a gay guy, in fact this might be my new plan for life. It would be great, since I'm afraid of living together with another girl...and I don't really want to (I don't like a lot of girls in general, and I haven't had any sisters, and living with my mom has sucked). So I'd want to be with a guy, but not a guy I was fucking, or a guy who there would be sexual attention with. Plus gay guys rule. Everyone would ask us what our big secret was for our perfect marriage, when we were at dinner parties, and we'd just laugh. <3

King Link
07-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Personally, whenever I find the right person and we decide we wanna get married, that's when I'll get married. Could be in a year, could be in fifty, whatever.

carrot red
07-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Definitely. I've met the right guy, the subject was discussed at length, but we're not getting married in the near future.

Brasel
07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
I got married at 20 years old. I know I'm younger than most people but, I'll be honest, I'm happy with it so far. I mean, we haven't lived together yet but... hahaha...yeah, I've been in Iraq. I don't care, I found the absolute love of my life and I wasn't willing to give her up to join the army and go off to war. There isn't anyone like Tera. I didn't want to risk something happening to her or me while I was at war and not be able to do anyting about it. They don't let you come home if your girlfriend gets hurt in a car accident. They don't let your girlfriend sign up for health insurance. You know? I wanted Tera to be completely comfortable and safe until I got home. I might have gotten married a little early according to some people's standards, but I have no regrets.

fatcatfan
07-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I got married early too, and I have no regrets. It has it's ups and downs, but we committed to stay together through it all. If you're worried about divorce as the downside of marriage, then yeah, you probably should wait a good while before considering it.

Drunken Tiger
07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
I would love to get married at an early age, by early i mean mid to late 20's..

Definately wanna have kids before i turn 30... But then again, you cant really plan these sorta things..

War Lord
07-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm not worried about divorce, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
No one I've spoke to can really give good reason as to why marriage is worth it if you already live with the person anyway.

I'm not religious either, and since marriage is a religious thing, that's also part of why I don't see the reasoning.

moocow
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know if I want to get married or not. I did before, when I thought I found the right person, but obviously, none of them were right for me or it would have worked out, right? I probably won't ever get married. All the good ones are taken or gay anyway.

Darth Marsden
07-28-2005, 10:52 AM
I would love to get married, but only if I found the right person. I think that's the hardest part of life, finding the right person. I've no idea when, but I'll hazard a guess at around 30. Could be later, could be sooner. Love knows no limits.

fatcatfan
07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm not worried about divorce, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
No one I've spoke to can really give good reason as to why marriage is worth it if you already live with the person anyway.

I'm not religious either, and since marriage is a religious thing, that's also part of why I don't see the reasoning.I agree. To me marriage is a holy covenant and I don't see why people who don't believe the same thing have any desire to bother with ceremony and officiality other than out of tradition.

What I meant was that if you don't view marriage as a lifetime commitment to work out the problems and not look to divorce as an escape, then marriage has no point at all, and you are better off not getting married in the first place.

Divorce has it's place; sometimes people can't be reconciled, but I've lived in a family with so much divorce used as alternative to working things out because people are too proud or stubborn, that divorce disgusts me. I wouldn't want to put anyone in the middle of it, children or otherwise.

Masamune
07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Marriage always seemed like a fantasy to myself and my love interest at the time. We both knew it would be beyond perfection. If that makes any sense. Funny thing is, we still both know it would be perfect. =\ Just goes to show you, even if things would be perfect and absolute, doesn't mean they'll happen. Just very depressing thinking about it. -_-

Glitch
07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
A friend of mine's dad once told us, "Don't marry a bitch that don't swallow."

Beldaran
07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
fatcatfan: Do you think you would get a divorce if your wife (god forbid) did something horrible like cheat on you or become a satanist or something?

carrot red: You've already met the right guy? WTF? ;)

MacWeirdo42
07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togever today. That bwessed awwangement. That dweam wifin a dweam.

I dunno. I've always seen it that if you just live together, then you could easily just walk out tomorrow. Okay, it's not as simple as all that, but marriage to me seems to be saying that you're in it for the long haul, that there's no way you're gonna call it quits for anything except the most extreme circumstances. "'Till death do you part" and all that jazz. Culturally speaking, it also just seems like it'd be easier to deal with other people. Society at large still believes in marriage, as far as I can tell.

Personally, I want to get married, to the right person, of course, and once I know I've found the right person, I see no point in waiting. The question really is a matter of when I find the right person, and how long it takes to figure that out.

fatcatfan
07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
fatcatfan: Do you think you would get a divorce if your wife (god forbid) did something horrible like cheat on you or become a satanist or something?

carrot red: You've already met the right guy? WTF? ;)

Such an extreme matter of faith might be grounds, but even then I might be content to live apart for a time in the hope of some sort of reversal. Cheat on me..... generally I'd say no, that wouldn't be enough. It'd hurt, more so than you can imagine without knowing us better, but I can't honestly imagine that'd she'd ever do that. Who can really say it until happens though, right? If either of us was gonna be unfaithful, I'm the more likely candidate.

I told you that you didn't have chance, didn't I? :waggle: But that's the first time I've known her to come right out and say it. I suspected as much, but I'm a bit disappointed she didn't tell me first ;)

Pablo
07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
A friend of the family just got married the other day, after 20-some-odd years of dating the same guy. I think I'd like to do something like that. Neither of them are particularly religious, and they only got married because they're getting old and it'd be easier to take care of each other in the event of something happening. I'm not exactly enamored with the idea of marriage, but that could change if I meet the right girl or guy. I'd definitely want to be very, very sure about getting married, since divorces are all too common and painful.

Eckels
07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I might get married one day. I'd also like to have kids at some point.

Huh?

Oh i am?
No kidding?

Really? A boy?

um, ok...

nevermind then.

carrot red
07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I told you that you didn't have chance, didn't I? :waggle: But that's the first time I've known her to come right out and say it. I suspected as much, but I'm a bit disappointed she didn't tell me first ;)
Oops, sorry. You didn't ask.
Me and my big mouth... I was replying to a question asked in this thread. I was *not* making a personal declaration. And I never said I was getting married *soon* as in before a year or so at least.

carrot red: You've already met the right guy? WTF?
I was feeling neglected and frustrated because you spent a lot more time romancing your guitar than with me. Plus, our constant fights lit up the skies of Austin like the 4th of july everyday. So I had to settle for a person I've been with for only two years, Bel.

fatcatfan
07-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Oops, sorry. You didn't ask.
Me and my big mouth... I was replying to a question asked in this thread. I was *not* making a personal declaration. And I never said I was getting married *soon* as in before a year or so at least.Yeah, I meant to edit and say something to the effect that I wasn't asking the right questions. Anywho, a lot can happen in a year. Dragons and squirrels and such.

*b*
07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't want to get married, unless I've been with him for a long time, and we're both completley serious about it. but untill that happens (and I actually find a guy *cry*), I think just staying boyfriends would be enough for me

Artex
07-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Seeing my parents convinced me at a young age that marriage was nothing but a curse....heh, and that was understandable. But, I don't know.....when hours passed with another person feel like seconds, and you keep wanting more......it starts to seem like the 'rest of your life' isn't long enough to be with them. I'd love to get married to Brenton, one day....I know it would be wonderful.

Beldaran
07-28-2005, 09:03 PM
...it starts to seem like the 'rest of your life' isn't long enough to be with them.

That's a very beautiful way to describe love.

goKi
07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
That's a very beautiful way to describe love.

You're right. And i'm lucky enough to be the one she's in love with :D

Brasel
07-29-2005, 08:15 AM
If you work for certain companies...mine included...you can't get insurance for people who aren't in your family. Since I'm married, my wife has full health insurance coverage. Thats not a big reason why I got married, but its nice to know that the one I love will be taken care of if she needs to be.

fatcatfan
07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah, and when I got married, my wife and I were no longer dependents of our parents, plus it made her a TN resident. So not only did her college tuition costs drop considerably, we were officially poor and more eligible for Pell grants and the like.

Rainman
07-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Yes, I'm one of those guys who wants the nice little house and the children. We'll have to see. I'm not religious so marriage would mean little more than legally defining the relationship.