PDA

View Full Version : The Half Life Saga

Darth Marsden
07-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, it's about time someone explained what the hell was going on. Spoiler heavy, as you'd expect. (http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/)

Beldaran
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Half Life is not a saga. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't even have a plot. The plot is: "You have no idea what's going. There's lots of weird shit everywhere." From a plot point of view, I think Half Life is a terrible game. In fact, I think just about everything about both Half Lifes suck except the graphics and gameplay. I didn't appreciate those games for any of the reasons they were lauded for.

I preferred Counter Strike to Half Life.

MacWeirdo42
07-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, bitter much? Personally, I love Half-Life. Well, actually, I've kinda gotten over Half-Life 1, and I'm now obsessed with Half-Life 2... Frankly, it's occurred to me that in Half-Life 1, the combat (at least with soldiers) was, they'd see you, you'd fire, they'd fire, and whoever ran out of health last was the winner. Seemed they always fired as soon as you were able to be hit, which made any sort of strategy next to impossible. No dodging, no nothing. Eh, oh well. The aliens were a little better, combatwise.

By the way, that timeline still doesn't explain who the G-man is, or what the hell is going on (although that's about the best theory I've heard). Rawr, and I spent so much of the first Half-Life trying to kill him (my original assumption was that he was the administrator - who of course turned out to be Breen).

Steezy20
07-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Wow, this guy is... very dedicated, with, perhaps, a bit too much time on his hands. Good nonetheless.
HL2 is the best game ever invented. I'd pay the money just for a small room with those physics. Since finishing HL2, I have become obsessed with the way gravity acts on short planks of wood.

Darth Marsden
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Mac - the reason it doesn't tell you who the G-Man is lies with the fact that nobody knows! VALVe have told us nothing. Still, it's nice to find a timeline as well constructed and presented as this one, isn't it? Also, if you read the quote near the bottom of the Introduction page, there's a quote that basically says most of this is true, so there you go!