PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading Right Now?

carrot red
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I finished "Robots and Empire" by Isaac Asimov yesterday and I started reading "Death of an Ordinary Man" by Glen Duncan. I might take "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" on vacation with me.

fatcatfan
07-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Where'd you find "Robots and Empire"? Can I borrow it when you're done?

I just finished "Foundation and Earth" about a week ago. I'm in the middle of "Princes of Ireland" and "How Firm a Foundation" right now.

Breaker
07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein

Darth Marsden
07-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Nothing. I finished 'License Renewed', a Bond book by John Gardner, but I haven't started anything new yet. A few days ago I read the latest Harry Potter book in a day.That's just 'cause I'm a fast reader though. Would you care for a spoiler, Carrot? :sly:

(I'm kidding, I wouldn't do that to you. Worth taking along on your hols though, but it's worth re-reading the 5th one beforehand)

Masamune
07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Still on the new Harry Potter book. That and 1984.

Daarkseid
07-27-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't read books. It's the greatest shame in my life.. Well, one of the many shames in my life.

mikeron
07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem by Mattuck. It's really not bad.

Shadowblazer
07-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm reading http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=87140.

:sb:

Seriously though, just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last week. Haven't picked up anything since.

Starkist
07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm rereading the Dune Saga by Frank Herbert. I just started Children of Dune last night.

Beldaran
07-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm reading Requiem For the Conqueror by W. Michael Gear. Next I will probably read the sequel, Relic of Empire.

Otherwise I might start reading Lord of the Isles by David Drake.

Verman
07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Ulysses

Good book you should read it!

firebug
07-27-2005, 04:54 PM
The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein. It's not one of his best. Heinlein is always enjoyable though.

gdorf
07-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I read The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis and the Half-Blood Prince last week. This week I am reading a non-fiction on the thirty days before Hitler came to power (I forgot the name of it, and it is upstairs).

Amber
07-27-2005, 05:14 PM
At the moment, I"m in between books. In the last week, I've read four. Can't find anything on our shelves I feel like putting the effort into reading just yet.

King Link
07-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind.

Axel
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Finished Half Blood Prince a few days ago and haven't picked up anything else.

MANDRAG GANON
07-27-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm rereading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

I still need to pick up naked empire...and the other new one :o

Master Ghaleon
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Really the only books Ive read was Dr Seuss's books and Dungeons and Dragons books :D

ShadowTiger
07-27-2005, 08:06 PM
1) When The Wind Blows - James Patterson.
2) The Lake House - James Patterson - sequel to the above.
3) Finished Half-Blood Prince five days ago.
4) Wizard Of Earthsea.
5) Tombs Of Atuin
6) ... ... Its Sequel. o_O'

Pablo
07-28-2005, 12:14 AM
The Fifties, by David Halberstam. It's a nonfiction I have to read for Government next year, but it's actually really good.

Archibaldo
07-28-2005, 12:47 AM
I recently finished the new Harry Potter book. And currently I'm reading a book about driving a passenger car for my driver's test.

Beldaran
07-28-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm rereading Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

I still need to pick up naked empire...and the other new one :o

I LOVE Terry Goodkind. His books are my favorites of all time. Naked Empire is pretty damn cool. I haven't read the new one yet. I've been pretty busy. I once wrote him some fan mail and he actually wrote back a long and thoughtful letter. He's a bad ass.

Terry's Official Website (http://www.terrygoodkind.com)

Lilith
07-28-2005, 02:15 AM
I just finished Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Survivor by Chuck Pahalniuk. GOD THEY WERE AWESOME. I came.

Tim
07-28-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm currently reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaugterhouse Five for my summer class. This is the third book I'll have read, then I'll be done with the class. The other books I read were The Things They Carried and In Cold Blood.

The teacher seems to strongly suggest reading a Kurt Vonnegut book before I finished High School. The only reason I even knew who Kurt Vonnegut was because of the movie "Back to School". Surely enough, my teacher mentioned that movie.

Steezy20
07-28-2005, 07:58 AM
I've had "da Vinci Code" on my bedside table for about 5 months... I've just finished reading the cover page. So far an average read. Needless to say, i don't read very much.

Brasel
07-28-2005, 08:30 AM
I finished Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice about a month ago and I finished Life, The Universe, and Everything by none other than Douglas Adams about a week ago. I just started re-reading Jurassic Park. I'm hoping to get So Long and Thanks for all the Fish in the mail soon and The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.

Rammstein
07-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I dont read books , never really liked reading anyways. But I read the newspaper once in a while... :rolleyes:

War Lord
07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Harrington On Hold'Em Volume Two: The Endgame

Jigglysaint
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I finished the Half-Blood Price last week. I don't really read novels much, but the Harry Potter series are pretty good. I tend to read posts on the forums more than anything else nowadays.

Machiavelli
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I just finished The Fountainhead.
Befor that, I read Anthem.
I think I'll read Atlas Shrugged next.

Anyone notice a theme?

no?...well,there all by Ayn Rand. I really like the ones I've read so I've started a collction of her books.

Fiyerstorm
07-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm reading this thread.

omg lol.

School starts soon so I rather not read anything right now cause I only have time for like a half hour worth of reading. If I was to pick something to read..it'd be Flowers for Algernon...again.

Rainman
07-29-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't read very much. Mainly because I never feel like taking the time. I've been thinking about reading 1984 though. From what I've heard of it, it seems like a book I'd like.

phattonez
07-30-2005, 12:53 AM
I just read The Things They Carried and I now am reading Moneyball. After that I have to read the most boring book ever, Brave New World.

Aliem
07-30-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm re-reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger for the second time... After this I plan on re reading the Hitchhiker's series.

Starkist
07-30-2005, 01:09 AM
1984 and Brave New World are similar books, both describing an anti-utopian future. I liked Brave New World more, because it seemed more realistic. 1984's future was one of Communism, the Party elite controlled by the Party, the Proletarians living meaningless lives, all working to support a war with no end. Brave New World however showed how people are grown in test tubes (using imagery similar to the cloning facilities from Star Wars II) and subjected to different stimuli to transform them into whatever caste the planners decide.

Dechipher
07-30-2005, 02:16 AM
I enjoy the Dune Saga very much. I can't get past number 5, and I dunno why. I have read Brian Herberts Dune works, and I enjoy them very much. Their easier to get into. I hope he decides to do Paul of Dune.

slef
07-30-2005, 02:48 AM
I just finished reading the 6th harry potter for the second time. I have 5 or so books to read for a class before school starts: The god of small things, the rise of silas lapham, the grapes of wrath, on writing well, and some short stories from a textbook.

Darth Marsden
07-30-2005, 08:09 AM
After being inspired by this thread, I have started to re-read the Sword of Truth series... again.

Lilith
07-30-2005, 11:46 PM
1984 and Brave New World are similar books, both describing an anti-utopian future. I liked Brave New World more, because it seemed more realistic. 1984's future was one of Communism, the Party elite controlled by the Party, the Proletarians living meaningless lives, all working to support a war with no end. Brave New World however showed how people are grown in test tubes (using imagery similar to the cloning facilities from Star Wars II) and subjected to different stimuli to transform them into whatever caste the planners decide.

1984 and Brave New World can be seen as opposite sides of the spectrum...since in 1984, pleasure is seen as what makes us human and in Brave New World pain is. I did an essay on this is I think. Lawl. Well, it's interesting. There's also supposed to be a third book in the "trinity" of anti-utopia goodness called "We" I think...written by a Russian guy or something? I don't remember, it's not very well known but it's supposed to at least hold a candle to the other two.

The world is more like Brave New World over here and probably more like 1984 in the Middle East, right now.

I love them both to death...omfg.

zoraking
07-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I normally don't read books, but my best friend's mom/my second aunt gave me Erotica Vampirica. Freaky shtick in that.

Jigglysaint
07-31-2005, 10:51 PM
I also just finished the Book of Mormon and I am going to start reading the Bible from start to finish.

Axel
08-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Lilith, I think the third anti-utopia may have been Milton's Paradise Lost. I'm not certain though.

Lilith
08-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I also just finished the Book of Mormon and I am going to start reading the Bible from start to finish.

Good luck with that. I always start phailing when you get to that one book where they just list inventories of stuff, and then forget everything.

And no it wasn't Paradise Lost, wtf.

Axel
08-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Just a shot in the dark. I remembered reading an essay where Paradise Lost, 1984, and Brave New World were all mentioned. Figured it could have been about the anti-utopia trinity.

EDIT: Found it. Dug out my copy of 1984, there's an essay in back about the anti-utopias. You were right, the third one is Zamyatin's We. It also mentions Jack London's The Iron Heel as the earliest modern anti-utopia.

Starkist
08-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Paradise Lost deals with the fall of Satan at the creation of the world... somewhat different than an anti-utopian future.

Axel
08-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Amazing how easy it is to confuse books you've never read, isn't it?

Starkist
08-01-2005, 03:24 AM
You should read them.

Axel
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Them? I've read 1984 and Brave New World. It's We and Paradise Lost I've never read. Quite simply they aren't very high on my list of priorities, they aren't exactly Foundation, are they?

mikeron
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Jack London's The Iron HeelThat is a kickass book. Read it and see the modern relevance.

EDIT: I might be thinking of It Can't Happen Here. Meh, both are relevant.

Kry
08-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I just finished the new Harry Potter while I was on my cruise.... I almost cryed... AND I'M A FLIPPING GUY.

Darth Marsden
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I just finished the new Harry Potter while I was on my cruise.... I almost cryed... AND I'M A FLIPPING GUY. You wimp. Suck it up!

And go discuss it in the appropiate thread. There's one in General Entertainment, Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=86880).

I'm onto the second of the Sword of Truth series. Can't remember the title at the moment, it's upstairs and I'm lazy, but it's probably something like Blood of the Stone. Meh. Heard one Fantasy novel title, heard 'em all.

firebug
08-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Finished the puppetmasters, started Zechariah Sitchin's 12th Planet.
You know those fake newspapers in the check-out line with headlines like: 'Woman gives birth to alien baby!' Think that, but novelized. heh. Oh, and the author BELIEVES everything he's writing. Very interesting actually. Right now he's trying to convince me that the ancient sumerian gods were actually extremely technologically advanced aliens hellbent on enslaving humanity. Good stuff.

Beldaran
08-06-2005, 12:50 AM
You wimp. Suck it up!

And go discuss it in the appropiate thread. There's one in General Entertainment, Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=86880).

I'm onto the second of the Sword of Truth series. Can't remember the title at the moment, it's upstairs and I'm lazy, but it's probably something like Blood of the Stone. Meh. Heard one Fantasy novel title, heard 'em all.

The Stone of Tears, and it's the best series EVER. Terry Goodkind is beyond normal fantasy, in my opinion.

Starkist
08-06-2005, 02:11 AM
I've read the first four Dune novels in less than four weeks now... grabbing Heretics at the library tomorrow.

fatcatfan
08-06-2005, 08:07 AM
The Stone of Tears, and it's the best series EVER. Terry Goodkind is beyond normal fantasy, in my opinion.Yeah? I read the first in the Sword of Truth and didn't really care for it.

I've read all of the Wheel of Time books, excepting the prequels, and generally enjoyed them. I think Jordan was running out of ideas in the last book or two, just trying to figure out how he's going to tie all the threads together. Hopefully in the next book, something will actually happen.

EDIT: oooh, I just checked and "Knife of Dreams" will be out October 11.

JayeM
08-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm reading Tales of Averoigne by Clark Ashton Smith. He was one of the group of horror writers that H.P. Lovecraft belonged to. Also reading some Harry Potter fan fiction...HP6 left me wanting more.

Axel
08-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll agree there, fcf. Didn't really like Sword of Truth at all, loaded with cliches and his heroes are good only when compared to his villains. Jordan seems to be slowly fading, books getting slower, more disjointed, and less fun. Crossroads of Twilight was completely pointless, like he just needed to set up the next book.

Anyway I finally picked up a new book. Was at Barnes and Noble and saw a big stack of classics and grabbed a few. Currently working on The Prince, by Nicolo Machiaveli. The man was a genius.

Darth Marsden
08-06-2005, 07:33 PM
The Stone of Tears, and it's the best series EVER. Terry Goodkind is beyond normal fantasy, in my opinion. Yeah, that's the one. Blood of the Whatever is the third one, which I'll be reading in a day or two at the rate I'm going.

I don't normally read that much, so I don't really know what I like. I guess you could say Sci Fi/Fantasy, but that's only because my dad likes it and has a lot of books around. Lots of series, which take a few weeks to get though. I also like comedy (Rob Grant, Terry Patchett, Douglas Adams [For some reason, I prefer the Dirk Gently novels to his Hitch-hikers Guide ones - probably because the humour's darker] and so on) as well as a few modern thrillers, although there aren't many of those around the house.

ShadowTiger
08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I've picked up Ender's Game again. Oh dear lord, I cannot put this book down. It's in my left hand right now, open to page 152. I still can't believe how much Ender Wiggin simply pwns the best of the best out of the water. Something to consider.

slef
08-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I've picked up Ender's Game again. Oh dear lord, I cannot put this book down. It's in my left hand right now, open to page 152. I still can't believe how much Ender Wiggin simply pwns the best of the best out of the water. Something to consider.

I love that book. Ive read it at least 20 times.

Axel
08-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Book was allright, couldn't stand Ender as an adult, though. Try Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Bean books. Bean blows Ender right outta the water, believe me.

Destiny
08-07-2005, 11:36 AM
The Queen of the Damned By Anne Rice. And I finished the Half-blood prince a week and a half ago.

ShadowTiger
08-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Book was allright, couldn't stand Ender as an adult, though. Try Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Bean books. Bean blows Ender right outta the water, believe me. I heard the same thing. =/ Nobody liked Speaker for the Dead, or ... that other one I never bothered with. But that kid Bean, ... he's something formidable. ;-D :thumbsup:

I'm still amazed how much they make you hate Peter Wiggin. That's some of the best characterization I've seen in quite a while.

Axel
08-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Really? By the end of the book Peter was my favorite character, cunning, intelligent, ruthless. Everything a Prince should be. (shameless tie in)
Minor Spoiler:

But, in case you're wondering just how much smarter Bean is: Bean sees right through the game, from an inspiration recieved by reading a seventeenth century text on fortification placements.

theplustwo
08-08-2005, 02:27 AM
I just read all the Harry Potter books, and then I read "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers, which was excellent, and then I re-read "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman (er... S. Morgenstern) and now I'm reading "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, A Memoir" by Nick Flynn, which is pretty good too.

Axel
08-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I finished The Prince, fantastic book actually. Very insightful. Anyway now I'm reading Thomas Paine's Rights of Man.

JayeM
08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I just finished The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldon. Not the kind of thing I usually read, a murder/suspense thing and I'm mostly into sci fi/fantasy. I read it because a friend recommended Sheldon. But it was really good, so I started another one of his, Tell Me Your Dreams.