PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened to MZX?

DarkDragon
07-26-2005, 11:31 PM
A long time ago when I still owned a 486 and 8MB was more than enough for gaming purposes, I encountered what was perhaps the most badass game creation system of all time, Megazeux. Some years ago its author stopped maintaining it and released the source code, and since then as far as I can determine its community has all but vanished. Most of the websites about MZX have been defunct since ~2000, and the ones that are still up seem only to list the same great classic games (many of them unfinished demos) that were around four years ago.

Are any new MZX games (high quality, I've played enough chaff like Blue Buckaroo) still being created these days? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

MANDRAG GANON
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
I was never able to get MZX to work on my 386 but one game I did play that was similar was Super ZZT which I made hundreds of games for. I really wish I could have gotten Mega Zeux to work on my computer :\

ShadowTiger
07-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh, Holy Crap, I just recently set up a gamestation for myself for Megazeux! :o I'm currently getting used to learning Robotics (I pwned in ZZT-OOP, but it's not exactly the same thing.) ... and I'm currently making a "quest" called "Dungeon Of Stone," where you walk into a castle and unlock different arenas. It'll be really cool. :)

DarkDragon, if you have anything you'd like to share with us, I'd love to see your work. :) I'll bet it's incredible. ^_^

I remember this one quest I played, the official "Caverns" world, .. it had a spellbook that actually opened and everything. I remember the ice caves, the tigers, (No Megazeux/ZZT game is complete unless the tigers have guns. :sweat: ) ... ( :laughing: ) ... I remember the demon, the rainbow crystals, ... oh, man, it was such a great game. I wish I had the original.

Oh! And I have come up with a working Megazeux Site! I really have no idea whatsoever how old it is, but nor do I care, since I've just gotten into it. * Googles * You can find the site Here (http://www.digitalmzx.net/index.php?act=games&loc=utils). As far as I know, pretty much all of the links work, and the site looks fairly active. :) Enjoy. ^_^