PDA

View Full Version : Listen up you fat american ass holes!

Beldaran
07-25-2005, 06:15 PM
THIS GUY (http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/) is making you all look bad. He's doing something about his weight, and it's daring, dangerous, and awesome. What a test this must be, to do something that requires so much enurance and perseverence. This is just so awesome.

For those of you who don't click on links, Steve Vaught is a 400 lb man sick of being fat, so he's walking across the United States from San Diego, CA to New York, NY. He is currently in Arizona, west of Flagstaff.

I salute you sir, and your big fat ass. (soon to be normal ass.)

Linkafier
07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
He probly' left his TV remote back in NYC.

ShadowTiger
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
... :odd: ... Linkafier, He's making this tremendous effort to better himself in his own eyes, and that's what you have to say about him?

I sincerely hope that he makes it. It would be a wonderful inspiration to many people across the planet.

Linkafier
07-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Sorry, I couldn't keep it in. Seriously, the guys got guts, and he definatly won't fail when there's a ton of people watching his back.

Yoshiman
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
At least someone figured out that pills and 'diets' don't work. A lot overweight people think that they can pop a little capsule once a day and the weight will magically dissapear. This guy is taking a major exercise course. Good for him.

Tell you the truth, I'd never be able to do that. Although I'm a good distance from being overweight, I lack the perseverance to walk across the country. :p

Amber
07-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Diets work, so long as you do it right. Like exercise more than once a year.

Cloral
07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah, it depends on what you define as a diet. If by diet you mean 'eat a good balance and variety of foods and keep your portions reasonable', then yes, diets work.

carrot red
07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I am going to sacrifice 5-6 months of this life to gain 30- 40 years of a better, leaner, healthier and happier life.

So considering all of that, I would be nuts not to do this.

Losing the weight will be the easy part. I plan to keep the weight off in the future by maintaining a proper diet and level of activity needed, as well as remembering how easy it is to gain weight and difficult to lose it.
It is really impressive and I hope he'll make it. I'm sure he will actually. Where there is will...

Master Ghaleon
07-26-2005, 12:13 AM
I think he will have some major problem that will stop him from continuing

Ganonator
07-26-2005, 12:29 AM
5 to 6 months Was this guy seriously trying to complete this task in half a year? Have you ever walked anywhere?

It takes about 25 minutes to walk a mile while carrying all of that stuff, taking into account land grade. He has 3000 miles to walk, or 75000 minutes or 1250 hours.

If he walked 7 hours a day, every day, he'd get there in 6 months.

I give him my best regards; this guy is a fucking hero. I just think he should have calculated his plan a little bit better.

. . . Like exercise more than once a year. Well, as long as it's for 6 months continually, maybe it'd work if you only did it once ;)

Dechipher
07-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually 7 hours doesn't seem that far off. I mean, what else is he gonna do, right?
I just read osme stuff on his site. He doesn't appear to be doing too well...

goKi
07-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Losing weight isn't too hard. I've lost 38lb since october, with very little effort. Just a small diet change, and a bit more exercise.

mikeron
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
When you have that much fat tissue, it becomes like a sponge for the toxins in your system. Losing weight really fast dumps these toxins into your system. Combine this with the fatigue and catabolic effects of all that strain, and the fact that fat people and Arizona summers don't mix, and I think we've got the potential for an interesting "followup" thread on fark.

Darth Marsden
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Good luck to the man, and I wish him many happy documentaries.

Eckels
07-26-2005, 05:53 PM
He's walking cross arizona, where it's right now like 120 degrees on the street.

That's not gutsy, it's stupid. Even a physically fit man could easily die doing that. I'm all for wanting to lose weight, and it's a noble idea, but he should have timed it so he'd be crossing the hottest areas nearer wintertime.

bigjoe
07-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Doesnt he have like a backup team to help him if he passes out or something?