PDA

View Full Version : What are some RPGs for SNES and NES that are like:

WindWakerRules!
07-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Faria, FF, BOF,Willow, BOF 2, FF 2, FF 3, Brain Lord, DW 1, DW 2, DW 3, DW 4 please, thank you.

Here is a link to llok up Final Fantasy, Breath Of Fire, BOF 2, FF etc. http://www.mobygames.com/ now except for Dragon Warrior games, Faira and Willow all the games are for SNES.

Here is an example of how I want this done please, thank you:

For NES Is Like the game/For

Faria........................................ BOF 2/SNES now this is not necessarily true but if possible I want it done this way please, thank you and have a wonderful day.

Yoshiman
07-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Chrono Trigger is a good RPG for the SNES. It uses the ATB system FF4 and FF6 (2 and 3 in the US) use. It may be hard to find, but if you look on eBay, it should be there.

Linkafier
07-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Two considerably overlooked RPGs on the SNES (due to their childish appearances) are Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

Dechipher
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Super Mario RPG is like my favorite game of all time. It's fun, becuase it's not all super serious. Same general plot with some Square touches thrown in.......no random battles, fun characters, fun moves.

I like it a lot. I'm replaying it again for like the billionth time. I'm doing it super leveled, ala level 19 at monstro town. Level 30 before I get to Smithy, I guarantee.

Z3r0x7
07-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Secret of mana is a great rpg. They have a second one, only released it japan. These are not really like any nes game, but kick ass.

Warlock
07-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Secret of Mana is awesome. That and Chrono Trigger are easily some of the best SNES RPGs (and FF6 - aka FF3 - of course).

I am still waiting for Square to get off their ass and translate+port Seiken 3 (Secret of Mana 2 - though technically Secret of Mana 3.. Final Fantasy Adventure was Seiken 1) for either GBA or Nintendo DS (and I think DS would be better since it has all the SNES buttons and a better resolution - they don't need to do touch screen crap.. they can put a map or menu screen on the touch screen).

Orion
07-24-2005, 08:29 PM
This kinda reminds me, how good is Secret of Evermore? I saw it in a used game shop and wondered if it was worth my time.

Tim
07-24-2005, 08:37 PM
A few Japanese only SNES releases are also pretty good. They include: Bahamut Lagoon, Rudra No Hihou, Terranigma, and Tales of Phantasia.

Linkafier
07-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Secret of Evermore may not be as good at the above mentioned, but if you like Secret of Mana or Action RPGs for that matter it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick it up.

Dechipher
07-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Secret of Evermore is weird as hell. My first experience with it was using a gamegenie and it like warped me everywhere and messed up mygame, but it was kinda fun.

It's a massive game. I feel its relaly really openended. I never know where the hell to go. You just gotta explore, which is kinda cool.

vegeta1215
07-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I started playing Secret of Evermoreonce, but it just felt weird. That and I could never find the ingredients for the levitate spell, so I couldn't get very far. I may give it a try again in the future though, maybe on the Revolution if Square makes it available.

Tim
07-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Secret of Evermore... I never even played the whole game through. I only remember beating the final boss on someone else's game cart on their file. It was truely a weird game the way you traveled to different regions and your dog changed shape.

zoraking
08-01-2005, 02:10 AM
I like it a lot. I'm replaying it again for like the billionth time. I'm doing it super leveled, ala level 19 at monstro town. Level 30 before I get to Smithy, I guarantee.

Is 30 the highest you can get to? Whenever I beat it, my people are always at or below Lv 27.

Axel
08-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah, they max out at 30.

Secret of Mana's alot of fun, of course. You could also try Legend of Gaia. I didn't get very far, couldn't get into it.

Darth Marsden
08-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, they max out at 30.

Secret of Mana's alot of fun, of course. You could also try Legend of Gaia. I didn't get very far, couldn't get into it. Huh. Never knew that. Oh well.

Ah, I remember a bunch of old SNES RPGs like that. Can't remember any of them off the top of my head, but there was one where you beat bosses and rescued the continents of the world? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Daarkseid
08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Secret of Evermore... I never even played the whole game through. I only remember beating the final boss on someone else's game cart on their file. It was truely a weird game the way you traveled to different regions and your dog changed shape.

Secret of Evermore was a truly marvelous and tragically underated game. I only wished they had a victorian/industrial age continent to explore, following Gothica(the game's worlds were based on historical epochs of human history) and before going up to Omnitopia.

Too bad it has little recognition and Square probably doesn't even acknowledge that it ever existed(figures, since the game was US only, and actually developed by Square's US subsidiary).

dandruff man
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Now i know that most of the great rpg's for the SNES were mentioned, but dont forget that some of the best RPGs of all time were for the nes. First of all the side scrolling Faxanadu was amazing in its day. It was the first good 2-D RPG next to Castlevania 2 and Links Adventure (Zelda 2). (yes i do believe that castlevania 2 is a rpg due to its huge freedom of the map and several towns to visit.)

Then there was the ever so amazing Dragon Warrior 4, which i am amazed no one has mentioned yet. This game is probley the best RPG ever. I know that everyone loves FF 6 and 7 and dont get me wrong, i think that FF 6 is the second best RPG of all time. However, if you grew up with the NES in the 80's like i did there was nothing in the world like DW4 before it. It had the most complex and interwoven story line in a rpg. You actually went on 5 different quests and then took those 5 people and came together to fight the last enemy. Its an amazing game and if you have'nt played it becuase you were too young then, i highly suggest you seek it out and give it a go. To date besides orignal tetris it is the highest valued game money wise for the NES.

Oh and one more game, Ultima: quest for the avatar. Can i just say one thing? It doesn't matter how powerful you are in the game, just cheat on one thing and in the end you will be the most pissed off person ever! LOL. (if you have ever played this game and have broken a virtue you know exactly what i mean!)

Daarkseid
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Oh yes, I'm well aware of DW4, it had excellent plot and progression, as well, the villain was actually somebody with whom you could sympathize.