PDA

View Full Version : Console Classix

MacWeirdo42
07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Anybody heard of this? The idea is basically it's a legal emulation system. They have a server with a bunch of game roms, and whenever you want to play a game, you choose it from the launcher and a temporary copy is downloaded to your computer. At the same time, it locks the game up on the server so that no one else can play it (unless there are more than one copy on the server). Since they ripped the roms themselves, and they have a physical copy of each rom on the server, it's supposed to be completely legal. Basically renting games, but without having to go to the rental store. They've got Nintendo and Atari games for free, and if you want, you can get a premium subscription for about $5 a month.

The interesting part is that apparently it's completely legal, or at least they haven't been shut down yet by Nintendo. As far as I know, the system upholds copyright laws, except for the part where Nintendo a while back went on a big tirade about how you can't copy their games, not even for the one allowed backup copy (or whatever the heck that was). Actually, I thought of it when somebody mentioned the idea of one user at a time, or whatever it was, and suggesting they could theoretically make a similar system for music, which I think would be really cool.

www.consoleclassix.com if anyone wants to check it out, by the way.

Darth Marsden
07-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Very cool. Somehow though, I'd imagine that you wouldn't be able to play the best titels, because someone else would already be doing it! Chrono Trigger, for example, must be popular...