PDA

View Full Version : Things that make absolutely no sense to you?

carrot red
07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
I saw this when I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day. I was going to ask the guy at the information desk where a book was, but a girl was ahead of me. She asked the guy if he could help her find the self-help section of books... I don't know, seemed kind of ironic.

What makes you scratch your head wondering why it's happening?

Mine: Smoking.

It kills you, it smells, it's expensive, it ages you, it stains your teeth, it makes cough, it ruins your endurance, etc.

I just don't understand the appeal enough to comprehend why someone would even start.

Breaker
07-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Your posts.

carrot red
07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Your posts.
I'm heartbroken, Breaker.

ShadowTiger
07-18-2005, 06:40 PM
... o.O' ...

Yeah, smoking is definitely up there. But it's addicting. =/ And being thought of as "cool" is a very addicting feeling as well. It's a shame, really.

Things that I don't understand, ... not that hard to find. Partially because you can either feign understanding, or just make up your own reason to fill in the gap. :p Hey, it's something! XD

Okay. There IS something I'll never understand. I recently came upon a seagull that seemed to like eating hot dogs. I watched it eat three full hot dogs in a row. It just scooped them up in its beak, reared its head back, and jerked it around and swallowed them whole, one right after another. I have no idea whatsoever how it fit all three inside of it. O.O

deathbyhokie
07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
redheads and women in general

fatcatfan
07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Your posts.What a nice friendly example you set for all our members.

Smoking is up there on my list, with alcohol and drugs. I can see how people get started with it though.

carrot red
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
What a nice friendly example you set for all our members.
But Breaker was *being nice.*

Dart Zaidyer
07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll never understand why on earth MTV still exists. Are there actually people who tolerate that madness anymore? Or is it just because Viacom is loaded with so much money from everything else that they keep it alive on a whim?
Or maybe everything that sucks is connected in a giant, sinister web of crapitude, which was carefully crafted to swindle everyone blind.

MacWeirdo42
07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Reality television - It's idiotic. Why on Earth do people watch it?

Advertising - Companies spend billions of dollars on it each year, and go to great lengths to ensure that we are exposed to it, but how much of it really influences anyone's purchasing decisions?

Beer - It's carbonated bitter. Why would anyone drink it?

Hate - Can't we all just get along?

The term "oversexed" - Is there really such a thing?

Glitch
07-19-2005, 12:46 AM
LORD OF THE DANCE

Master Ghaleon
07-19-2005, 12:48 AM
When people in resturants walk into the kitchen thinking that the bathroom is around there. I never understood that.

Raichu86
07-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Smoking, drugs, drinking, and fornication are all things I can't understand why people would get into. The effects and/or risks are absurd.

Oh, and sports. Why do people care about them so much? What's the point? Who cares who can hit the ball the hardest or trample other disgustingly overheated players in a giant pasture? I was at a baseball game about a year ago, and what was happening in the field was so boring that the predominate "entertainment" came in the form of idiocy from the speaker and big screen (example: encouragement to make as much noise as possible, with a bogus analyzer animation encouraging people to make more).

Master Ghaleon
07-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Oh, and sports. Why do people care about them so much?.

Without sports, I wouldnt know what to do with myself. I lost a whole season of Ice Hockey it made me go crazy. Football and Hockey has to be my fav sports, rugby comes in 3rd.

Dechipher
07-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Some reality shows are good. Like that 30 days show. It was actually pretty cool, because its different every week. Also, I liked Surviving Nugent, just because Ted Nugent is insane.

He should be in Strapping Young Lad.

Archibaldo
07-19-2005, 02:16 AM
When people ask to borrow a piece of paper. Why do they ask to borrow it, when they know that they won't be returning it? That's why I always ask to have a piece of paper.

Great Warrior
07-19-2005, 02:31 AM
I go to a private college that costs a goodly chunk of money -yay for financial aid, scholarships, and grants- yet there are so many kids at my school who blow off classes every day to get drunk every night of the week. If you are paying 30K+ to go to a college, why don't you attend class? It's an expensive way to party for four years... assuming you don't get kicked out after one. Not to say I am not up for some fun, but I don't lose sight of the reason why I'm at school in the first place.

What makes you scratch your head wondering why it's happening?

Everything

Why is it that the phrases "slim chance" and "fat chance" both have the same meaning?

Why is it that people who wear muscle shirts are, for the most part, very skinny and have no muscle?

Women running a Men's magazine.

women choosing to date assholes over us nice gentlemen never has and never will make sense.

People who cut themselves and mutilate their bodies with eating disorders who are proud of it.

Pussies who watch their friends take a beating and do nothing about it.

People who get famous when they have no talent. People who are popular and are total shits.

mikeron
07-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Women that are afraid to lift weights. "I don't want to get big, bulky muscles like a man." In your dreams, kitten. But hey, I guess fat "legs" and a bulbous ass are better than firmness....

Brasel
07-19-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't understand people who speak another language to me. I understand why they speak it, but I don't understand it when they speak it to me.

Yeah, that was me trying to be a smart ass.

Glitch
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't understand people who speak another language to me. I understand why they speak it, but I don't understand it when they speak it to me.

Yeah, that was me trying to be a smart ass.

Just shoot them. You have a gun over there don't ya?

moocow
07-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Women that are afraid to lift weights. "I don't want to get big, bulky muscles like a man." In your dreams, kitten. But hey, I guess fat "legs" and a bulbous ass are better than firmness....

That's exactly why you look for a woman in the gym and not at the dairy bar.

Something I don't understand is why telemarketing companies hire people who can't speak clear english to do their telelmarketing. I hate hate hate hate hate getting a call from some arab fuck who can barely speak english. Drives me insane.

Also, it's cool if you want to visit, but don't fucking move to our country if you don't know or don't plan to learn our language, and then expect to be treated like everyone else. We can't understand what the fuck you're saying, dammit. Yeah, we're gonna give you funny looks when a group of you Indian assholes walk past us, giggling and conversing in your language, more than likely making fun of us.

I also don't understand what is so much fun about calling the girl you were with a week ago and telling her about the girl you were with that night. And then, putting some other girl on the phone and trying to get them into a fight. I'm sorry, dude, but you're totally not worth going to jail for. Fuck you.

Rainman
07-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Not to cop out on the topic or anything, but not a lot of stuff makes no sense to me. Even if I think something is frivilous or unethical I can still usually understand why the person came to make that decision. If don't understand I still recognize that there is probably a very real reason behind it.

ShadowTiger
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
When people ask to borrow a piece of paper. Why do they ask to borrow it, when they know that they won't be returning it? That's why I always ask to have a piece of paper.Holy Hell, I love this one. There's something similar to it that I once heard: ... Like, why is it that when you want to know the time you point at your wrist? It's kinda like when you ask to go to the bathroom you point to your crotch.

God, I love that so much. XD

zfreak2004
07-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Remaining Ignorant

What I mean by that, is that our society, driven by information, there seem to be so many morons that just cannot find a way to find information. If there is a big debate about something that gets a lot of people up in arms on both sides of an issue, a believe that person owes it to society to look something up and *GHASP* form an opinion even if that opinion isn't one or the other, at least they know why they are stuck in the middle. Instead peoples' motto seems to be "I dunno."

Amber
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I can't figure out why so many people, even those who work at truck stops, treat truckers like they're ignorant, bad-tempered barbarians. They chose to their jobs. It's not 'cause they were too stupid to get other, "better" jobs. Everything we get comes on a truck, even if it's originally shipped by rail or plane, it still takes a truck to get it to the store. Furthermore, if you'd just spent 4 hours trying to get through D.C. traffic, you'd be bad tempered too.

mikeron
07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
That's exactly why you look for a woman in the gym and not at the dairy bar.Nah, that's too much work. I prefer to drive past the local High School around lunch time. ;)

AlexMax
07-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Insert Chewebacca lives on Endor quote here.

Machiavelli
07-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't understand how some people can be so serious when asking the dumbest questions.

Case and point: Today I bought the book " The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Here is the conversation between me and a friend...

Friend: Are you really gonna read that?
Me: No, I'm going to rip out the pages and wipe my ass with it.
Friend: oh.

I fear that she was serious.

LedZepFan
07-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Good lord, where to begin.

People who say they play golf to "relax".

Girls who go out with guys who have cheated on their four previous girl friends, and are shocked when they find out he cheated again.

People who hated Ocarina of Time.

People who do drugs. Drinking I can understand though :)

People who are assholes for no reason.

I just don't understand people in general.

MacWeirdo42
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Professional Sports (warning, rant time)

I would put this in my blog, but since this thread is devoted to the subject of things I don't understand anyways, and because my friends would murder me in my sleep if I did another rant about professional sports, I'll just post it here.

Now, I get sports. They're fun. They're entertaining. However, watching a sport is the most boring affair imaginable. Unbelievably repetative and monotonous. Same thing over and over again. The only reason anybody would watch is because they care who wins.

That's where my problem lies. It doesn't matter. It's like Double Dare, red team vs. blue team, and it really just came down to which color you liked better. Same thing with pro sports. The teams are totally arbitrary groups of athletes, with the minor addition of a city name to exploit each region with the whole "hometown pride" crap. But really, the players tend not to be from the city in question, and it's not like you know them personally or anything. Friends and family - that I would understand. Hell, even college sports make sense on some level. But the way I see it, it's one arbitrary group of strangers vs. another abitrary group of strangers. And yet, people put their hearts and souls into these corporate entities, as if they mean something personal to them. I know I'm liable to be attacked by any profession sports fans here, but I just don't get it. The major sports corporations are simply exploiting feelings of regional pride in the masses, and people don't even seem to realize or care that they're being exploited.

Oh, and I reverse my earlier statement about the term "oversexed." It very definitely is possible.

Dark_Cloud
07-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Edit: I was already warned :(

Great Warrior
07-20-2005, 02:39 AM
It is Indian telemarketers that always call me.

Those stupid diet ads / commercials...like lose 10 lbs in 10 min with this magic pill. i mean who falls for that crap?

Why do we drive on a PARKway and park on a DRIVEway?

Why people automatically put salt on their food without actually seeing how salty it is.

I do not understand why it feels hotter when it is humid....If there's already moisture in the air, shouldn't we perspire LESS? - maybe because there is more water in the air, it's more difficult for the air to absorb body heat, therefore making us feel hotter.

Yoshiman
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Girls who go out with guys who are obviously complete jackasses, but choose to stay with him because he "might change." He'll always be an idiot. Get together with someone who actually cares about you. :disgust:

People who buy pure white sneakers and then complain that they got a little dirt on them. THEY'RE SHOES. You walk around outside with them to keep your feet from getting dirty.

*copy and pastes from PureZC*

Blasting music in the car. Okay, you like rap. Fine. I don't need to hear it from across the street in my own home, OVER my own music and vibrating the floor. Does it make you cool or something? :eyebrow:

Rainman
07-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I do not understand why it feels hotter when it is humid....If there's already moisture in the air, shouldn't we perspire LESS?

Prespiring is not the enemy when it comes to beating the heat. Prespiring is meant to cool you down. Therefore, if we prespired less then it would make you feel hotter.

Darth Marsden
07-20-2005, 06:48 PM
The phrase "Same difference". It makes no sense. Use "Same thing" or "No difference". Grr.

Crappy adverts. Anyone seen the (British) National Lottery ads? They're crap. Why can't they see that? Same goes for... Insurance companies, 'Claim Direct'-style companies, Elephant.co.uk, Direct Line, etc...

Reality TV shows that keep going, even when it's obvious that nobody cares.

Rabid fanboys who pounce on every bit of information they get their hands on. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but I know where the line is and I make sure to keep on the right side of it. 13 year old poys do not. Grr!

Mobile phones. How many people really actually need them? It can't be all that many.

The price of sweets and fizzy pop. I remember a time when a pack of Fruit Pastiles would cost 30p. Not now, it's more like 40p. And drink? 90p for a bottle 500ml bottle? Why not splash out an extra 35p and get one 3 times the size? GRR!

People who don't know who to vote for, and therefore go for the guy they had last time, despite the fact that they're pretty much responsible for bringing the country to a much more disreputable state then it was before they got into power. One for the Americans AND the British.

More when I can think of them.

Link 101
07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
I mostly don't understand why people can't be themselves or their own race. White people are always trying to act black or whatever. Black...like a gangsta, whichever you prefer.

Also, I hate when people act different around someone they like and want to date. You have a better chance getting a girl or guy acting like yourself because when the person finds out you lied about all the things you said you like, they most likely WON'T date you.

I also don't understand the blaring music issue. It's okay if you like music and blare it in your house in your room or on some headphones, but blaring it down the street in your car at like 10 at night? No one wants to hear that crap, especially because it is usually rap being blasted.

Also like Yoshi said, the thing about girls dating ass-holes. I have something to add to that though, most of the time they date for looks...not because they think he will change, they only hope he will because they like his looks.

I do not understand why it feels hotter when it is humid....If there's already moisture in the air, shouldn't we perspire LESS? - maybe because there is more water in the air, it's more difficult for the air to absorb body heat, therefore making us feel hotter.

It's because with the extra moisture in the air it is harder to breathe, thus your body has to do more work with less oxygen, making you feel hotter than usual.

Lilith
07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
This forum needs more Chuck Palahniuk and less idiocy. Christ.

I can't understand how the hell you people look at the real world and still think things like "why can't we all get along" or "zomg, why would anyone do something that might kill them". Oh wait, you're not looking at the real world.

Strider1982
07-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Why Kellogg's Frosted Flakes commercials have always insisted that the cereal fills you up with immense energy and try to prove it by showing some kid who magically becomes a sports star after eating it. I mean, whatever nutrition that stuff has is zilch compared to the sugar content.

Tony the Tiger...is a filthy rotten liar.

Okay, I know this post was kinda stupid, but I've always wondered about that since I was a little kid. I even beleived those commercials back then and thought that Frosted Flakes would make me a better player in Little League Baseball. Boy, was I weird.

Spekkio the Nu
07-21-2005, 02:08 AM
In response to my comment: Custom avatars were originally allowed till right when I registered.

Strider1982
07-21-2005, 02:12 AM
(removed)...

Master Ghaleon
07-21-2005, 02:42 AM
What I don't understand is why we can't have custom avatars on this forum. vBulletin DOES support custom avatars, you know!

Oh you can, there is a few ways that you can get custom avatars. 1000 posts or a membership(I think)!

Great Warrior
07-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Thank you for the explanations, Rainman & Link_101. :)

Ich
07-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Some people say "reality TV" and I'd agree with them. Most people wouldn't go as far as I would, though, in saying "I do not understand people's compulsion to watch TV at all" as it rots the mind. I notice a strong positive correlation between watching TV and ignorance. I have sworn off the "idiot box" for several years and I think it has made me a better person.

Ganonator
07-21-2005, 03:31 AM
I don't understand why people think Microsoft is a big evil corporation. First of all, I like the products they produce, and second, they are an amazing employer, charitable organization, and brainpower center. Yes, the products they produce cost you money. We understand that. But you dont' like windows because why?

Also, why aren't DVDs $10 at release? They would easily sell more than twice the number of currently sold DVDs, therefore returning a profit >= 1.5x what they are now. seriously.

Ich
07-21-2005, 04:12 AM
Ganonator: I had Windows ME installed for almost three years, until I could get my hands on a copy of Win2k. I would say that a degree of justification could stem from that. As far as them being an excellent employer, I don't disagree at all; your opinions are your own on the company and the products. There's a few instances of Microsoft doing *unethical* and borderline illegal business moves (cough Netscape cough) but I really don't even fault them for that. They have contributed a large number of improvements to the field of computing, however, I am not a fan of spyware or viruses, which Windows still is not protected against out of the box. That being said, I use Linux because I like it better, and it's free. I'm not going to say it's better, it's just my preference and prerogative.

As far as DVD's go, it's not pure profit when they sell them: they have to manufacture, distribute and advertise. Everybody gets a cut of the take. If selling them at a lower cost would increase profits, it's likely they would do so. Additionally, they charge that because they can. Prices will decrease with time (the $5 bin at Wal-Mart never has new movies).

Glitch
07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Careful, Spekkio. Comments like that could possibly tick off the moderators and administrators here, no offense.

Rent-a-modding is worse ;) And at least he stayed on topic.

What doesn't make sense to me? That gay ass signature image BH4 has....seriously dude..change that shit.

Sute
07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I can't name some.. or I'll get in trouble.. -_- but anyway..

1.) They're so pointless.. I guess people only do them to fit in, that and it's dangerous and automatically "cool".

2.) Beer, too, I consider it a drug, it still messes with you the same as any other drug, you can even die from it and all that.

3.) Reality tv, some are cheap repeats of others, which is worse. But it's more than worse when my parents actually set their plans for the day JUST to make sure they can watch them. I hate Fear Factor, 'cuz they put steriotypical girls with snakes and crap. I saw it once, they were so scared.. eh.. whatever.

4.) Those instant win/10,000 person to site ads.. they're just annoying.. you always win, except you don't..

5.) Asterik behind FREE - If you say it's free, then it's free. I hate when they stick the "*" secretly behind stuff.

6.) After radio ads, the person talks ungodly fast. I think that should be illegal, I don't bother listening if they start doing that, it's too suspicious.

7.) My school.. they raised money and spent it on remaking our football field.. which only 10% of the kids at the school care about it. Our school is over, OVERcrowded, and we're finally going to start building it this year, when it should have been done last year (their.. "plans").. That and when we have gun/bomb/drug searches, my school is so dumb that they go for people dressed in black or have long hair, don't you think it'd be a nerd who wants to kill everyone? That'd can't happen, they say, nerds like school.

8.) How every internet provider is the FASTEST, or every store has the LOWEST PRICE, I'm not about to keep track of who is/has the best bargain.. I doubt anyone really does..

That's all for now.. >_>

MacWeirdo42
07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
In response to an earlier comment: Okay, maybe nobody NEEDS a mobile phone, but they're quite handy. Easy to call people without having to go find a payphone or anything like that. And I mean, if you have one, you really have no need for a landline. Much better anyways. Portable and all that jazz.

In response to the Frosted Flakes comment, I decided to do a little research.

Here are the nutrition facts for Frosted Flakes.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-01-02s0177.png

Here are the nutrition facts for Cheerios.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-01-02s016a.png

Note that there is actually very little difference between the two cereals. Okay, so Cheerios has about 3 few calories and a bit more fiber, and there's a bit more sugar in Frosted Flakes, but it's really not big enough to make much of a difference. Point is one is supposed to be healthy, the other supposed to be sugar coated crap, but really, they're about the same.

Strider1982
07-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, guess I was mistaken. Still, the cereal certainly doesn't turn you into a sports superstar like it did in the old early 90's commercials.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me personally is why America doesn't switch to the metric system. After spending some time in Australia I began to think that measurements in meters, kilometers, etc. makes more sense than miles and feet. But that's just my opinion. It would probably be too confusing if the American system actually were changed.

Hateful Dan
07-21-2005, 12:23 PM
redheads and women in general
I'll drink to that.