PDA

View Full Version : Bad Storm Stories

Master Ghaleon
07-17-2005, 03:09 AM
I love to watch severe thunderstorms, blizzards and ice storms. Sit out on the deck and watch mother nature kick some ass. We just had a couple of storms roll by in the past week and it looked like the damn poltergeist was outside. lightning bolts flying acrossed the sky every 15-20 seconds for about 6 hours.

About 5 years ago I was driving around and a huge storm came straight for me. People where pulling off to the side of the road. I hate when people go 20 mph when its raining. As I was going under this huge old metal bridge a bolt of lightning stuck just like 5-10 feet away from my car. The flash of that was awesome. The second after it hit, it gave off a dark purple outline of where the bolt was.

2 years ago we had a blizzard and my cousins were over. I woke up around 6am finding that my DirectTV was out and wasnt getting a signal. I climb my ass up this satelitte pole without gloves, I had to roll the ends of my coat so my hands wouldnt stick onto the frozen metal pole. I get to the top with my metal dust pan(no lie)to dig a hole so I could get on top of my roof that has about 4 feet of snow on it. It took me about 2 min to at least get enough off that I could at least stand without sliding off the roof. I then had to tunnel my way acrossed the roof to the other side and knock the couple inches of ice that formed on my dish so I could receive a connection. That took like 15 min to do that. The storm is still dumping sleet and blowing winds of about 20 mph. I dove off the roof into the big snow pile at the side of the house and walked in. That was fun

MacWeirdo42
07-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Worst storm I remember was the time when my family was driving home from my grandmother's house back when we lived in OKlahoma. We left Manford, a town near Tulsa where she lived, and we saw this monster thunderhead right in our path. Well, we really didn't have much of a choice, we had to drive through it. We actually came into the storm near the first town on the trip. It was one of those storms where the sky turned pitch black, which was just thrilling. It started raining, raining hard, and of course plenty of thunder and lightning. Then the hail started. Not big enough to cause much damage, but it was just banging the hell out of our van. Visibility was pretty much zero, so we had to stop. We drove around for a while, and the best shelter we can find is to park alongside a church van, and use it to deflect the hail. So we're sitting there, pitch black, thunder and lightning everywhere, hail falling, and a report on the radio announcing a tornado warning, which was just perfect because if there was a tornado, it could have been two feet away and we never would have seen it coming. Thankfully, we got out of that storm in one piece, but wow.

vegeta1215
07-17-2005, 12:47 PM
About a week ago hurricane Cindy passed through Ocean City and we got some heavy rain (not to mention thunder, which was so loud though it shook our house). It rained so much is such a short period of time that some of the streets were flooded, including the one in front of my house. The water was all the way up to my car door, and unfortunately some got inside - I spent the rest of the day bailing the two inches of water out of my practically brand new 2004 Honda, and using a wet-dry vac to get most of the rest. Not fun :(

Orion
07-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Tornado demolished my house in 2003. Should be bad enough for you. If you wanna hear the story, look back in this board about a year and a few months ago. Should be around somewhere.

MANDRAG GANON
07-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah I remember that Orion. :\

I have to say there hasn't been all that many really bad storms where I live. The worst stuff usually goes around my general area but hits cities and towns that are near by. The worst stuff we get is like hail or really heavy raining and lightning storms. Lately for the past couple of days we've had dry lighting through the sky striking like every 2 minutes which is kinda wierd. We don't even get much snow like we used to, I remember getting 4 feet of snow, now we're lucky if we even get an inch!