PDA

View Full Version : Minigame ideas

Spudnickator
07-12-2005, 12:02 PM
here, post your ideas for minigames (so you can play and currently make) see what others can come up with!

here are my ideas:

monster arena(puttin in my quest)
mazes(puttin in my quest)
whack-a-mole (puttin in my quest)
Archery (to complicated for me)

thats all i can come up with

punkonjunk1024
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I've actually made an archery minigame, that operates on a timer.
You have 13 seconds to nail 10 gels, 4 of them are tribbles, it works. When I release a beta for my quest, you'll be able to test it... I was pretty proud of me. I've got admission charges and everything. ;)

ShadowTiger
07-12-2005, 01:20 PM
You can make a really nice minigame consisting of a small timed maze. You can plan it out perfectly beforehand, operating under this principle. You have three colors of "blocks" that are up, besides the usual maze borders. There are several buttons scattered around the maze. Each time you press a button, one of the three colors of blocks change from being up to down, and another one goes from down to up, screen-wide. You have only this one screen to navigate.

What's the thing stopping you? It's a timer. You can combo-cycle the floors underneath all this stuff to warp you out of the maze or something like that. Shouldn't be TOO hard. You'd just have to time the combo cycling right, as well as make all the buttons work, and plan out the maze. It's nothing too hard.

MasterSwordUltima
07-13-2005, 02:30 AM
I had this really good idea of searching for a dungeon, going through it, solving puzzles, grabbing a decent item, slaying small monsters, and then at the end, slay a large monster, and grab a triforce piece, yet Nintendo beat me eight times over for that, in one game even...

You could do a cheap little, PICK A CHEST GAME. Just use a timer on the warp to the game grounds, with X amount of possible outcomes. So if you go to MAP A, then chest 1 will have this, and chest 2 will have that, and chest 3 will have something else. Yet, if you step onto the warp tile at a slightly different time, and go to a different map, then the outcome of the chests will be different. Easy stuff. ^_^

Spudnickator
07-15-2005, 05:37 AM
I've actually made an archery minigame, that operates on a timer.
You have 13 seconds to nail 10 gels, 4 of them are tribbles, it works. When I release a beta for my quest, you'll be able to test it... I was pretty proud of me. I've got admission charges and everything. ;)

How do you charge admission? ive been wanting to do that for my monster arena

Zelda_Warrior
07-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Alright, well let me tell you how to make ADDMISSION. It's fairly easiy. It also illustrates what Misc 1 can be used for...

HOW TO CHARGE ADMISSION IN A MINI-GAME:

1. Go to quest>graphics>sprites.
2. Make sure theres no graphic set for misc 1.
3. Make the screen where you pay the admission.
4. Set a guy to the room.
5. For room type set it to shop.
6. Make a shop type where the frist item in the shop is nothing, the second item in the shop is misc 1, and the third item in the shop is nothing. (This makes misc 1 appear centered)
7. Set the shop type to that number shop type that you just made.
8. Make sure you charge a decent price.
9. Set yuor string.
10. Test it out and see the effect!
EFECT: The effect this makes is that the misc 1 will be invisible but the price will be above it, and that will tell Link how much it is to get in. When Link walks foward towards the item, he'll grab it, and it'll be a useless item. This'll make you able to play an infinite number of times. If you make the room with the prize room type 'special item' and put tjhe prize in a chest the prize will only appear once. If you come back and play it, the prize will not be there, but you'll still be able to play, letting the player play 'just for fun' just like in the real Zelda games. Hope this guide helps.

The mini-game in my quest was called Hazard Havoc, and you had to stay alive in a frenzy of stuff like fireballs, falling rocks, etc. for a set time to win the game. It sucked in the beta version, but in the final it was decent.

punkonjunk1024
07-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Thats a good idea... Dodging. Gonna remember that.
Hey, MSA, maybe Im missing something in teh new ZC... but how would you have warps that change on a timer? Is that possible?

Nomau
07-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Well I made this mini like game it sucks though. But if you use a admission price it might work better.On the pure Zelda site I foung train tracks and a mine cart,just make a mine cart minigame,and put ruppes over the track and make differt paths so people have to pick what path has the most rupees.Its sorta cool,you could make it a rafting one also since the raft and mine cart are both the same object so you just need to make a raft path. Tell me if you ever work it! :tongue:

Spudnickator
07-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Well I made this mini like game it sucks though. But if you use a admission price it might work better.On the pure Zelda site I foung train tracks and a mine cart,just make a mine cart minigame,and put ruppes over the track and make differt paths so people have to pick what path has the most rupees.Its sorta cool,you could make it a rafting one also since the raft and mine cart are both the same object so you just need to make a raft path. Tell me if you ever work it! :tongue:

Thats a good idea, but it could only work once. But then again, so can many others!

Oh, and thanks for the admission thing, it will really help.

Nomau
07-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I might use a monster arena myself.But another minigame idea would be a Boss rush mode,You start out with a sword and sheild and walk from an empty room to a room with a boss,when it dies you get a item or a heart container.Then when the door opens you walk into another room with a different boss,kill it get item or container then next room boss, and so on and so on.It could test a players speed and fighting skills.

punkonjunk1024
07-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Thats actually a pretty good idea, because swimming kinda makes rafting obsolete. LEET. if you could alter the times on the raft, and make it an overhead tile (so link would appear inside of it) That woudl actually be pretty cool. unfortunately... ZC is still kinda sucky as for sprite editing. Some day...

Spudnickator
07-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks. I might use a monster arena myself.But another minigame idea would be a Boss rush mode,You start out with a sword and sheild and walk from an empty room to a room with a boss,when it dies you get a item or a heart container.Then when the door opens you walk into another room with a different boss,kill it get item or container then next room boss, and so on and so on.It could test a players speed and fighting skills.

Thats sorta what monster arena is, you can put bosses in it, heck, you can put anything in it!

What the monster arena is:

You pay admission, go into a room with monsters, kill the monsters, they drop a key. Use the key, go through the locked door, kill more monsters, grab the key ect.

Until you get to the end and grab the final prize e.g. sword! Or if you feel that you cant go any further through the arena, go down the stairs (which appear when all the monsters in a room are killed) and claim a less important prize e.g. money

Wow, that was longer than i expected!

MasterSwordUltima
07-27-2005, 03:24 AM
ZC2.10 has timed warps, does it not? :p

Anyway, I like the whole, KILL DESE MONSHTAHRS TO GET A HART PEECE!...MSU here has a quest in progress, and I'm thinking I'm gonna have a monster ranch, huzzah. :D [I'm totally going to try the admission thing with the Misc 1 :O]

eXodus
07-28-2005, 11:57 PM
You pay admission, go into a room with monsters, kill the monsters, they drop a key. Use the key, go through the locked door, kill more monsters, grab the key ect.

Until you get to the end and grab the final prize e.g. sword! Or if you feel that you cant go any further through the arena, go down the stairs (which appear when all the monsters in a room are killed) and claim a less important prize e.g. money

Wind Waker has this in, only it's a hidden thing with no charge. The Pit of 100 Trials on Outset Isle is pretty much what you're talking about here, only the way back out only appeared after every 10 battles. There were also minor prizes in each of those rooms. It's a good thing Spud mentioned it and not MSU, otherwise I'd have to say Nintendo beat him to it again :laughing:

Also, Boss Rush is more of a Kirby thing. The reason it worked so well was because - after beating the entire game with all the powers you could ever need - you had to beat those same bosses with nothing but you're starting abilities. ZC doesn't have any way to reset your equipment after you've gotten practically everything yet, so...

Spudnickator
07-30-2005, 05:18 AM
Ahh, the kirby games, how i miss them....

Nomau
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi...I think I can make a monster arena that you can play over and over agein....Set addmission like always, and at the end of the arena, have a shop with a item in the middle..like a key or ruppes. Charge nothing for the item.So every time you go through, the 'prize' in the shop reappers for another day.

Aegix Drakan
10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Cool ideas!

I already have an arena in my quest, and I'm putting in two more.

the first two earn you heart containers (and money if you already got the HC)

the last one is Oni mode, several nightmarish rooms rull of bosses, octorocs who sniffed too much crack, deathnights, and traps. This arena gets you the GOLD RING! (insert item-getting tune, dadadaduuuum)

The first arena will have no admission, but the other two will.

I' try to throw in a few more minigames too.

thanks for the admission thing!

[EDIT] OH! and you don't need to use keys for a monster arena. you can use shutters to stop link from going forewards untill all the monsters are dead, and put a one way shutter where link came in, making retreat impossible. that's how I do it anyway. there is no escape. :evil:

jessethe2nd
10-20-2005, 07:12 PM
If anyone wishes they may use my dodge the arrows mini quest as a guide to make some rather entertaining and challenging dodging/ agility course mini game. It has no password so, have fun.

Aegix Drakan
10-21-2005, 09:39 AM
A firend of mine gave me a great quest Idea.

I could make a quest that is only arena mode!

picture this: you start with only a wooden sword, and 3 hearts, you choose betewwn three or four combat modes (Following the DDR format: Light, standard, heavy, oni). whith each room, you either get a new item, or another heart. for oni mode, you can't get rings, and the rooms are stuffed with high level enemies, oh and you can't get higher than a level 2 sword. sound fun?

I think it would appeal to all Combat-oriented players.

so tell me, waddaya think?

[EDIT] by the way BH4, you know A LOT about ZC, but I can't find any quests made by you! are they on pure ZC, or are you working on a quest that hasn't come out yet?

jessethe2nd
10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
A firend of mine gave me a great quest Idea.

I could make a quest that is only arena mode!

picture this: you start with only a wooden sword, and 3 hearts, you choose betewwn three or four combat modes (Following the DDR format: Light, standard, heavy, oni). whith each room, you either get a new item, or another heart. for oni mode, you can't get rings, and the rooms are stuffed with high level enemies, oh and you can't get higher than a level 2 sword. sound fun?

I think it would appeal to all Combat-oriented players.

so tell me, waddaya think?

Sounds a bit like my current project, Eternal Combat.
Basically you fight monsters to win large amounts of cash or you go to the training course where you can get some spare change and practice. Take your cash and buy items to make link stronger and go kick the crap out of some opponents in the arena!
----------------------------------------------------

Anyways, another idea for a mini game.

It is a survival type mini game with various levels of difficulty.
Basically you need a shop that sells normal keys and you will need to make a lock block the cycles to an animation of floor that looks exactly like the normal floor in the area. Have the floor cycle back to the lock block and there you go. So depending on the speed of the animation for the floor the Door will stay open for that amount of time. Doing this will make it so that every key that link will buy will allow him to go through a door of the players choice one time. If you set the dmap so that when you die you appear in the shop area and you set up the screens correctly you will be able to create a mini game that will have various levels of difficulty that you will have to pay to play every time you want to do so.

Aegix Drakan
10-23-2005, 08:10 AM
:odd:

You mean you are already working on a quest like that?

C***! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I thought I was gonna be the first person to make a quest like that! (sigh) oh well, it happens. good luck with the quest.

Maybe I can change my quest so it is like "challenge mode" in several games. (you have to rush through a set amount of levels with limited HP) and when you reach the end, the quest ends.

But yours sounds cooler, I'll try it when you finish making it!

[EDIT] (looks at what he thought was the guy's signature, realizes the potential ideas) Yeah! that would work! It sounds much better than my first idea for a Difficulty selection area! I think I'll try something like that, once I've finished working on my first quest.

copsgotguns
11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
i was always of fan of the 'bring all the cuckoos back to the lady thats allergic to cuckoos' minigame from OoT. and the treasure chest game where u could use the lens of truth. would they make good ZC minigames?

Aegix Drakan
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
the cukoos i'm not sure about.

the chest game, yeah that could work.

Oh, and FYI I beat that minigame WITHOUT using the Lens of truth! Three tries, beat that! :laughing:

copsgotguns
11-14-2005, 05:59 PM
im shocked!!! such zelda mastery. only 3 tries. ive messed up even with the lens of truth on that mini game