PDA

View Full Version : I got Gwarred

Dechipher
07-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I just got back from a day long concert in Tulsa, Sounds of the Underground. Among the bands were Clutch, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad ("What's black and blue and hates sex? The guy in my trunk"),Lamb of God, High on Fire, and of course, Gwar.

Gwar throws an insane show, and I was told that this wasn't nearly as much as they usually do when they are doing their own show. It was crazy, but I'm not going to delve into details, cause I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but it was cool as hell.

Opeth was awesome. They were the only band that played any soft stuff. They were a wicked awesome repreive from the shitty hardcore bands like Norma Jean and Throwdown that had been playing most of the day. It was cool, because when they took the stage, the wind picked up, the clouds darkened, and flocks of black birds flew everywhere, and then when they were through the wind pretty much stopped, and the clouds went away and there weren't too many more birds. It was intense, but we got to hear a song of their new album.

Clutch jams. That's all there is to say man. They were probably my favorite band there yesterday. Jean-Paul Gaster blows my mind on the drums.

Strapping Young Lad was okay. Their music was nothing spectacular. But their vocalist is insane. He made the show very entertaining.

High on Fire was lumped in the "shitty bands" category, as in, the bands that had to play from noon to 3, when there aren't that many people there. However, they were awesome. They played pretty good, and were fun as hell. I certainly felt that they deserved a later spot, but they were probalby put early so people would come early.

DevilDriver started the show off. They werne't outstanding, but they were a great way to start the show, adn were number 7 on my list. They set the bar that (unfortunately) most of the other bands could not pass.

And last but not least, Lamb of God. They were the headline of the tour. Personally, not my favorite style of music, especially after hearnin glike 7 hours of bands trying to be like them but sucking at it. They were the last band, starting around 10. They're the only band I moshed to, because I knew I'd regret it if I didn't, even though I have a sprained ankle. They play really awesome, and they had a lot of energy. Everyone was there for it.

Anyway, it was certainly worht the 155 dollars my girlfriend and I collectively spent on tickets, food, and T-shirts.

:thumbsup:

carrot red
07-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I bet you didn't even feel your ankle.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and didn't find any of them disappointing.

Beldaran
07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
LOL gwar.

If you scroll down This Page (http://www.grid-magazine.com/1996/07/) there is an interesting article about GWAR.

They are sick and messed up, but it's humorous if you really think about how they got started and why they do what they do.

http://www.drt-entertainment.com/media_services/gwar_cd_big.jpg

Glitch
07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
I've heard their concerts are fucking insane. Moo and I went to school with a guy who went to one of their concerts.

Dechipher
07-11-2005, 04:49 PM
They're fun as hell. I could see how it could be offensive, but only if you're sensitive to the kinda stuff they do. If you take it as just an entertaining concert, then you'll have a wicked time. It was the funnest thing ever.

I'm reading their article right now, and it's quite interesting. I was wondering how a band like GWAR gets started.

Master Ghaleon
07-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Clutch jams. That's all there is to say man. They were probably my favorite band there yesterday. Jean-Paul Gaster blows my mind on the drums.
:thumbsup:

I like clutch alot too

Great Warrior
07-12-2005, 03:27 AM
They are different. My girlfriend finds them offensive and does not like them. I would have wanted to go to one of their concerts and feel it maddening live.