PDA

View Full Version : New small Legend of Sonic the Hedgehog demo available now

Strider1982
07-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Well, I'm a little past my self-scheduled due date for getting a demo ready, but it's here.

Legend of Sonic - New Small Demo available at last!

Seeing as this thread is probably gonna die soon, I moved the link to the "Quest Links" thread. You can grab the quest file there.

*BEFORE USING THE SFX.DAT FILE, be sure to make a backup of the original ZC one, because it my file REPLACES the original one!*

This demo of my 1st Quest remake/revamp contains a small part of the overworld and the 1st dungeon. However, it doesn't have all the overworld secrets, as I'm still working on those. Some 1st quest purists might be a little ticked off, as I've fiddled around with the 1st dungeon's secrets and enemies to give a touch of originality.

It should still be enough to give you a feel for the whole thing. Hope you guys enjoy it. As always, feel free to share any feedback/suggestion/etc...I'm feeling worn out and I've barely worked on the other dungeons. Tile ripping/drawing is quite time-consuming.

Oh yeah, I've also included a SFX.DAT file with Sega Genesis sound effects! Trust me, my quest works MUCH better with Sonic sfx than Zelda ones.

Thanks for you guys' patience. Hope you like.

Strider1982
07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Are there any FileSpace users out there that are having trouble getting their download links to work? Mine doesn't seem to work every time.

I would really appreciate it if someone would at least tell me if they managed to download the demo and if it works OK, or what they think of it...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/ea8b6f1b.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/536671c7.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/CAVE.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/RING.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/75fbf061.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/FLOWERS.gif

bigjoe
07-12-2005, 12:48 AM
You gotta use the "view" link. Im downloading right now!

Strider1982
07-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Thanks. I'm kinda new to FileSpace. I'm glad it actually works.

dvader654
07-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I just played it and finished the demo. Excellent job, it really has a sonic feel to it, great music and great work with the sound effects. The only problem I had was that it was kind of hard to get accustomed to having the spind dash as the sword attack. I dont know what it was but I was getting hurt a lot more than normaly, probably cause in Sonic games you need to hit the guys, so I found it a bit hard to get into the mentality that it is a Zelda game.

Strider1982
07-12-2005, 01:09 AM
I know what you mean about the spin dash thingy. Yeah, I did the best I could and changed the "Link stabbing" animation to a dust cloud so it didn't look like Sonic was throwing himself. I thought the spindash attack would add a good sense of challenge and originality.

It also might feel a bit more challenging because I added a lot of tougher bad guys that weren't in the original 1st quest, like Stalfos 2's and Tribble enemies in the 1st dungeon.

Thanks for the feedback.

Whoa...I just realized I forgot to fix a few errors, such as the Candle item animation and the inclusion of the Hookshot. I'll put up a revised demo soon.

dvader654
07-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Woah, your demo has totally rewired my zquest program. Now all I hear are sonic sound effects on all my games. How do I fix this? You might want to add a warning or something.

EDIT: I figured it out, the program comes with a sound effect dat file and when I downloaded it replaced the one that I had. Its an easy fix I just need to download the zquest sound effect file but yeah people should get a heads up.

Strider1982
07-12-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I added a warning that the sfx.dat file replaces the original.

My apologies to anyone else who experienced a similar problem.

Strider1982
07-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Okay... I fixed the quirks in the demo, such as the candle animation, the bombable door you couldn't reach or go in, some undercombos, music, and items...

You can use the Hookshot now. You get it during the "Thanks" message.

I also fixed the really annoying room with 2 Darknuts and got rid of one of the shutter doors so you don't have to kill both guys every time you pass through.

Sorry for all the stuff I had to fix, but I'm sure every quest has its bugs.

I now have the improved "sonicdemo_fixed.qst" on FileSpace.

dvader654
07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Okay... I fixed the quirks in the demo, such as the candle animation, the bombable door you couldn't reach or go in, some undercombos, music, and items...

You can use the Hookshot now. You get it during the "Thanks" message.

I also fixed the really annoying room with 2 Darknuts and got rid of one of the shutter doors so you don't have to kill both guys every time you pass through.

Sorry for all the stuff I had to fix, but I'm sure every quest has its bugs.

I now have the improved "sonicdemo_fixed.qst" on FileSpace.

Wow great job you fixed every issue I had with the demo (mainly those damn darknuts). I cant wait for the quest, do you have an estimate of when it will be released.

Strider1982
07-13-2005, 01:09 AM
I can't really give an exact estimate right now as to when it will be finished. I really hope to have it done later this year. It's good to hear that I got rid of the bugs that were annoying everyone.

DarkDragoonX
07-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Awesome quest, dude. Looking forward to the final product!

Strider1982
07-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting the final product over with. Quest designing can be pretty time consuming. I wish there was some way to make faster progress...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/zelda001.gif

"Run for your life! It's a giant robotic chicken!"

Zelda_Warrior
07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
This is awsome...I can't get into level 1 though. :( I've looked veerywhere..

Strider1982
07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Zelda_Warrior, did you check the staircase in the cave where you get the SpinDash attack? You 'd probably have an easier time finding level 1 then. It's more or less in the same place as the original 1st quest.

I'm putting the "Star Post" continue posts near the entrance of most levels, so if you find one there should be a dungeon nearby (not counting the starting one).

DarkDragoonX
07-14-2005, 08:34 PM
A few comments on your quest:

First of all, having a floating silver ring for the "fairy" sprite seems kinda odd. Have you considered using a flicky, or perhaps a winged chao?

Second, in the room right before the first boss, where you have to use your boomerang to flip the switch, then run through before it resets? Well, after flipping the switch, I ran back, but didn't quite make it in time. However, I discovered I could walk right through the "block" anyway... all it did was make me walk slowly.

Once again, great quest!

Strider1982
07-15-2005, 12:47 AM
A winged chao... that's a good idea. I wasn't really sure of what to use for a fairy, so I used a silver ring until I could get a better idea. I think I'll go ahead and change it to a chao.

Whoooa. I'm glad you noticed the "walk-over" block problem. Oops...Oh well, a minor problem esily fixed. I'm still getting used to combo cycling and probobaly just chose a walk-over block instead of a solid one by accident. I hope that didn't ruin it for some people.

And I thought I had found all the bugs...heh heh.

Thanks for the info, DDX.

Strider1982
07-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Well, I kind of has trouble drawing a decent-looking Chao, so I tried using a Flicky Bird (the small birds you rescue in Sonic 3D Blast) for the fairy sprite. How does this look?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky1.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky2.gif[/url]
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky1.gif"] (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky2.gif)

Zelda_Warrior
07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
How do you do combo cycling and what is it? Also, this is a lot different than the first quest, thats for sure.

dvader654
07-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, I kind of has trouble drawing a decent-looking Chao, so I tried using a Flicky Bird (the small birds you rescue in Sonic 3D Blast) for the fairy sprite. How does this look?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky1.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky2.gif[/url]
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky1.gif"] (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/DarthGator/flicky2.gif)

That's excellent, looks just like a flicky.

Strider1982
07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
How do you do combo cycling and what is it? Also, this is a lot different than the first quest, thats for sure.I was trying to make it a bit different so it had some originality and wasn't just a literal remake. There's been a lot of direct remakes and I know a lot of guys here are getting tired of them.

Do you think I should get rid of the new stuff and make it exactly like the 1st quest in terms of secrets, items, and such? I can change everything to make it that way of you guys want.

Also, some of the world layout I changed just fot the sake of the demo, such as shops, caves, and secrets.

Spudnickator
07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Wow, great game! I cant wait for the final version. Rings for money, flickies for fairies, very sonic like!

Cloral
07-17-2005, 05:39 PM
I played for a bit, and it seemed pretty nice. But I got in the overworld near where the desert was in the first quest, and fell through a hole behind some trees. I ended up in the cave but near the corner stuck in the wall. I'll play it again soon, it's just taken some time for me to get over the frusteration of being stuck like that.

...maybe its just me, but it seems like the rings should be Sonic's health and not the gems.

Strider1982
07-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Whoops. Sorry about that, Cloral. I accidentally used a grass tile there that was set to "stairs" instead of a normal one. Oh well, small mistake easily fixed. I'm sorry you got frustrated by that... I never intended to use a cave there.

I also thought about using rings for health, but since rings are so common in the Sonic games, and rupees are the most common thing that Link gets, I decided to use rings for money.

Zelda_Warrior
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I found a bug...

In one of the screens that's up near the north part of the demo on a hill or something, in one of the screens, there are invisible warps. They take you to screen 80. When you exit the cave you're back in the screen you started in. There's several of these invisible warps in that screen. It dosen't seem right. Is this a bug or for some reason is it supposed to do this?

I think what you did was use the warp grass tile that Cloral had a problem with on accident in the screen i'm talknig about also.

DarkDragoonX
07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
I was trying to make it a bit different so it had some originality and wasn't just a literal remake. There's been a lot of direct remakes and I know a lot of guys here are getting tired of them.

Do you think I should get rid of the new stuff and make it exactly like the 1st quest in terms of secrets, items, and such? I can change everything to make it that way of you guys want.

Also, some of the world layout I changed just fot the sake of the demo, such as shops, caves, and secrets.

First of all, great flicky. I love it!

Second, please don't change the quest to be an exact replica of the first quest. I like the way it is now - very similar, yet with very distinct diferences that give it a unique feel. It's a refreshing spin on the original quest, and I encourage you to stick with your current formula.

Zelda_Warrior
07-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah, it's close to the first quets in some ways but not in others. I was just saying I could'nt figure out how to get to the first dungeon because they didn't have a cave in the original first quest where you got a key. If you made the key thing just to make the player see that scene, then tack it in during the storyline intro at the beginning.

Also, why did you start us out with bombs? It makes the title look weird because you can use them while in the intro.

Strider1982
07-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks for that suggestion involving the key. That's a good idea, Zelda_Warrior.

And yes, that screen with the invisible warps... I fixed that. Those warps were never intentional. I made 2 grass tiles, one walkable and one set to "stairs." I just accidentally used stairs there. My mistake. I hope Cloral's not still pissed about that because it was entirely accidental.

Whoooaa...you can use bombs in the intro. That's hilarious! Well, I guess I don't really know why I started everyone out with bombs. I just did. That was only in the demo, though. I won't do that in the final version, of course. This demo was mainly a test-run to see what everyone thought of it. I wouldn't want to keep doing it if everyone thought it was boring.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and feedback. It helps a lot. It's great to see that my quest is well-liked for the most part.

It is kind of disturbing, however, that everyone seems to keep finding new bugs. Dang, I should've looked more closely before releasing the demo... I thought I had found everything. I might as well post another updated demo before anyone else downloads the faulty one.

I'm really, really sorry, guys. Whatever quirks or small bugs you might find will certainly be gone in the final release, I promise. Also, note that I've termporarily removed the link to the demo. I'll re-post it later today, once I clear the few annoyances you guys pointed out.

DarkDragoonX
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Haha, don't beat yourself up too much over some bugs... there's no way at all you could find them all by yourself. C-Dawg's masterful quest, DoY (my favorite quest of all time), spent a HUGE amount of time being bug tested by a large team of people, and it STILL had a bunch of bugs when it was released.

Cloral
07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I went back and finished the quest. Pretty nice all in all, the graphics in particular looked great. The first level seemed a bit tougher than it should've been, but I can live with that. I guess I just don't like facing enemies that can do 2 hearts of damage when I only have 3.

Strider1982
07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I've reposted the demo link. I've removed the aforementioned bugs and fixed a few other oddities (and added Flickies for fairies), so any future downloaders won't get the buggy version. As far as I know, this one's safe. If you guys find any more quirks, please let me know.

And thanks, Cloral. Yeah, I did add some tougher bad guys to level 1... I figured that most everyone had mastered the original 1st dungeon, so I was trying to give players a new challenge.

I could remove some of the Stalfos 2's (the chicken 'bots that shoot beams at you) and tone down the difficulty if you guys want. Or add more slash-item spots so there's more chances for restoring health.

bigjoe
07-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I beat the demo, and its looking good so far. It'd be better if you made this into a new quest, though, rather than using the theme of LoZ.

Strider1982
07-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I kinda know what you mean. I've always wanted to do a Sonic revamp of the 1st quest with some new stuff and that's what I've been trying to do. I'd love to make an all-new Sonic quest, but I'm mostly just good at designing tiles, music, layers, and such. I'm not the best at designing overworlds. I could probably make some new dungeons for an all-new Sonic quest, but I'd need help designing the overworld.

The revamped overworld in my current project had the original overworld as a "base" to work on before I modified it.

Do you think I should I stop working on this 1st quest adaptation and attempt an all-new quest, guys? Some of you have said to keep doing what I'm doing - similar to the first quest but with new secrets, enemies and slightly different dungeon layouts...

Honestly, if I tried to make an all-new quest, I don't think I could really make it all that great and it would take MUCH longer than what I'm doing now.

Zelda_Warrior
07-22-2005, 02:17 PM
It's more of yor choice. Do what you want. You would have to rip may more tiles though for the dungeons and such. I say do a 1st quest remake so that you don't have to re-do a whole demo.

Spudnickator
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
sorry to interupt, but i sorta replaced the Sfx file with the sonic one. Is there a way to get the original sfx file back?

Strider1982
07-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Spudnicknator, you might have to re-download ZC, unless you have a backup of the original sound fx file. That's why I gave the warning about how my file replaces the original.

And forget about what I said in my previous post, guys. I started on a 1st quest revamp and I'm gonna finish it. It will still have plenty of new stuff, Maybe I'll make an all-new quest in the future when I have more spare time

Strider1982
08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I might be moving the demo link to the "Quest Links" thread, because I don't know how much longer this thread will last.

And I think I owe everyone an apology for making the demo too hard and frustrating. I thought adding tougher baddies (the Stalfos 2's) would make an intreresting challenge, but it's really a pain when you've got only 3 hearts in the first dungeon. I'm replacing them with Stalfos 1's right now. Sorry about that.

Strider1982
08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Just letting ya know - the download link is now in the "Quest Links" thread, for those of you who haven't played it. This thread won't be here forever, so I thought that would be a better place for the link.

Yes, I removed the Stalfos 2's - they made it a bit too hard. My mistake. :(

A dumb question: Is anyone really interested in me finishing this quest? I know the demo originally had more than it's fair share of problems and I hope that didn't ruin it for everyone.

Also, does anyone have any "mechanical"-style dungeon tiles? One of the dungeons will be based on Chemical Plant Zone and it needs a rather industrial look.

Strider1982
08-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Just letting ya know - the download link is now in the "Quest Links" thread, for those of you who haven't played it. This thread won't be here forever, so I thought that would be a better place for the link.

Yes, I removed the Stalfos 2's - they made it a bit too hard. My mistake. :(

A dumb question: Is anyone really interested in me finishing this quest? I know the demo originally had more than it's fair share of problems and I hope that didn't ruin it for everyone.

Also, does anyone have any "mechanical"-style dungeon tiles? One of the dungeons will be based on Chemical Plant Zone and it needs a rather industrial look.
...Did anyone read the above question?

KJAZZ
08-11-2005, 02:12 AM
I thought you should finish the quest when you first starting making it, however many years ago that was. :thumbsup:

The demo didn't bother me it all. I liked it, myself.

...Four posts in a row, lol. You're funny, Strider. :goofy:

Strider1982
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, they weren't exactly in a row. They were posted over the last 2 weeks...

I guess it does seem kind of weird.

DarkDragoonX
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Is anyone really interested in me finishing this quest? I know the demo originally had more than it's fair share of problems and I hope that didn't ruin it for everyone.

You had damn well BETTER finish it.

Aegix Drakan
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Please finish it! I haven't played the demo yet, but it looks and sounds awesome. :highfive: don't worry about the bugs, I know it's frustrating, but even the best games have bugs. oh and btw, after I have mastered the use of the editor and made some of my own quests, maybe I can help you with the all-new-full-out Sonic quest!

From one sonic fanatic to another, I salute you! :thumbsup:

Strider1982
09-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I'm working as hard as I can on it while trying to keep up with college and work. I've been pretty busy for the past few weeks, so I haven't had much time to hang out here lately...

DarkDragoonX
09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
As long as you finish it eventually, and don't disappear again, I'll be happy.