PDA

View Full Version : A hundred grand...

War Lord
07-10-2005, 04:02 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=874653

Master Ghaleon
07-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Radio station was trying to pull a fast one on her. I wanna say that the game was rigged and caller number 10 was already picked but they got the callers mixed up thinking that they wouldnt hafta pay that money.

"Before the family went to bed, Gill promised her children ages 1, 5 and 11 that they'd have a minivan, a shopping spree, a savings account and a home with a back yard. "

She also promised me buttsecks with 1,000 up front :(

War Lord
07-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't think the radio station owes her shit other than the candy bar.
Sure, it was deceptive, but the bitch shouldn't have assumed.

I mean, christ, take the 5000 you're lucky to even be offered and quit being a bitch.

ShadowTiger
07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
"I said I wanted $95,000 more," she said. "Nobody would watch and listen for two hours for a candy bar.

"What hurts me is they were going to get me in front of my children, all dressed up, and hand me a candy bar, after all those promises I made to them. You just don't do that to people," she told the Lexington Herald-Leader. I can understand. The children are expecting something huge, and to see the radio station give their mom a candy bar instead of money would seem more like a joke than a prize. They'd keep asking her when they'd get the money.

And to see things from the Radio Station's point of view, they would say something like "Well they didn't HAVE to make all those promises to the children."

The english language is very deceptive. People take too many terms for granted and assume too many things nowadays.

"I'll give you a hundred bucks tomorrow."
*TOMORROW*
You wake up to see a rather large amount of deer-like animals on your lawn.

MacWeirdo42
07-10-2005, 04:28 PM
FCC regulations say contest descriptions can't be false, misleading or deceptive and that stations must conduct contests as advertised.
Either way, sounds like the radio station's in a buttload of trouble. Honestly, I can see both sides of the issue. Wonder how it'll turn out...

SUCCESSOR
07-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm glad the lady sued. Use the law to make yourself some fucking money. It's the station's stupidity for trying to be funny.

linkofzelda1
07-11-2005, 01:12 AM
This reminds me of a contest Hooters had a few years back. Some lady won the contest that was advertising a Toyota, but when she went to claim her prize she got a lifesize toy Yoda. She sued, but I don't know how it turned out.

Master Ghaleon
07-11-2005, 01:26 AM
"She contended that she and her fellow waitress were told that whoever sold the most beer over a certain period of time would win a new Toyota. After being told she won the contest, she was led blindfolded to the company parking lot where she took possession of a new TOY YODA. Yep, she got a "Star Wars" action figure. Needless to say, she wasn't too pleased with her prize. This week, she won a settlement with the restaurant. Though her lawyer would not state the specific amount won, he did say that she could now go to a car dealership and "pick out whatever type of Toyota she wants.""

http://www.crazedfanboy.com/nolansnewsstand02/mikesrantpcr112.html

Cloral
07-11-2005, 01:45 AM
FCC regulations say contest descriptions can't be false, misleading or deceptive and that stations must conduct contests as advertised. Stations in two other states have been fined for contests that told listeners they'd won cash prizes without specifying they were in Italian or Turkish lira, not U.S. dollars.
In other words, even though you might not be technically going against what you said, if you imply one thing and award another, that is illegal. This radio station is in an assload of trouble. They'll probably settle out of court for like $50,000, but the FCC might still fine them.

LedZepFan
07-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Before the family went to bed, Gill promised her children ages 1, 5 and 11 that they'd have a minivan, a shopping spree, a savings account and a home with a back yard.

I think it might take more than a hundred grand to buy all this. :) But I think she has a good point, put yourself in her possision. I know I would be pretty pissed.

Rainman
07-11-2005, 03:42 PM
I don't think the radio station owes her shit other than the candy bar.
Sure, it was deceptive, but the bitch shouldn't have assumed.

I mean, christ, take the 5000 you're lucky to even be offered and quit being a bitch.

Exactly she didn't get free money and now she's bitching. Of course she might win which really makes it a rather smart move for her.

Glitch
07-11-2005, 04:34 PM
All I know is I doubt that radio station will be doing any more give-aways for a while, lol.