PDA

View Full Version : Help with I.E.

Orion
07-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Okay, one of my biggest gripes with the internet these days is the number of websites that embed videos and stuff with Window's media player in their webpages (especially those on Myspace). Not only are they annoying, but for whatever reason, on my home internet connection, my connection (DSL) will cease to work and I have to restart my router every time my computer tries to load one.

My question, is there any way to tell I.E. not to automatically start playing these files, or at the very least, ask me first? It would be really nice, and save me a lot of trips up and down the stairs to restart my router.

Alsp, please don't reply with "Get Opera or Firefox." I would like to try to get this issue resolved in I.E. without making everyone in my household switch.

Masamune
07-08-2005, 09:04 PM
I have no idea, but I'd also like to know how to remedy this (but in Firefox).

Just out of curiousity, what's your myspace? =o

vegeta1215
07-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Tools->Internet Options. Click Advanced Tab, scroll down to Multimedia. The options there should do it.

Sylvan_Wizard
07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Alsp, please don't reply with "Get Opera or Firefox." I would like to try to get this issue resolved in I.E. without making everyone in my household switch.But you should make everyone in your house switch.
Not only are Firefox & Opera vastly superior browsers, but IE is incredibly insecure and the source of most people's computer problems.

I have no idea, but I'd also like to know how to remedy this (but in Firefox).For flash you can get the Flashblock extension, which replaces flash with an icon you click to play. As for other media, try MediaPlayerConnectivity.

Starkist
07-10-2005, 12:23 PM
But you should make everyone in your house switch.
Not only are Firefox & Opera vastly superior browsers, but IE is incredibly insecure and the source of most people's computer problems.

Not really true I'm afraid. Firefox has just as many vulnerabilities as the latest version of IE, it is just now that hackers are learning to exploit it since it is fast becoming popular. A system with a fully patched IE is just as secure as one running Firefox or Opera.

Orion - Check Internet Options, like Vegeta said.

EWild
07-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Not really true I'm afraid. Firefox has just as many vulnerabilities as the latest version of IE, it is just now that hackers are learning to exploit it since it is fast becoming popular. A system with a fully patched IE is just as secure as one running Firefox or Opera.

Orion - Check Internet Options, like Vegeta said.

And these exploits will be fixed in a lot less time than IE will ever have.

Orion
07-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Just out of curiousity, what's your myspace? =o

http://www.myspace.com/9808411

As for getting everyone in my household to change, your better off trying to push a hippo off a cliff. I'm sure you'd have more sucess.

Deviance
07-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I had my parent's switch to opera. So I don't care what else they use on the pc because I can just go down and fix it if they screwed it up.

Deviance
07-10-2005, 02:14 PM
EDIT Sorry it double posted the same thing on accident. Can someone remove this?

Masamune
07-10-2005, 02:15 PM
http://www.myspace.com/9808411

As for getting everyone in my household to change, your better off trying to push a hippo off a cliff. I'm sure you'd have more sucess.

Dude, balls. Mommy found my myspace and I decided to delete it seeing as I didn't want her going through my shit. I'm making another one though. >.>

New one: http://myspace.com/pathasahugecock

She's gonna love the new one. ^_^