PDA

View Full Version : GTA San Andreas

War Lord
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Finally picked up this gem for the xbox.

I'm having a blast doing the missions, still in Los Santos though. Trying to explore and get a general idea of where most stuff is. I hope Sony's exclusive contract was done after this game, I hate having to wait to play.

Anything really interesting of mention I should know of? The strip club sucks. Seems like a lot of little hidden gems everywhere though.

ShadowTiger
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I kinda like the dancing game. We spent like, hours on it. It was all we needed for the moment. :p Then we had to give the system back. Since I wasn't playing by the "rules," I just spent my time doing totally random stuff, like going over ramps on bicycles AND Cars, and jumping off roofs. It was a lot of fun.

Enjoy the game, man. :)

AlexMax
07-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Gangs are THE best way at this point to rack up ammo, cash and other shit.

When you get to the gang war thing, don't even bother taking all the territories. You'll lose them all anyway after the Los Santos chapter is finished.

The timing for the low rider DDR minigame is screwed up, at least on the PC version. And you NEED to beat it to progress. Gay. Play it based on when the arrows get in the circle, not based on the music, and you'll pass.

Bikes are very fun, especially if you want to see the city without it flying by you. There are even a few unique jumps in Los Santos that you can only do on the bike.

Darth Marsden
07-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Am I the only one who has to play through the entire series BEFORE he allows himself to play San Andreas? Currently, I'm about 70% through Vice City.

War Lord
07-07-2005, 06:29 AM
No, most of us played those when they came out instead of waiting for 10 years to try to complete them.

DarkDragoonX
07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
It's funny you should mention this, because I purchased the PC version of San Andreas just two days ago. FIrst of all, it's a great game. I was worried that having to maintain your character's health would be a big hassle, but it really doesn't take up much of your time at all, which is good. Many of the new features, such as being able to scale fences and small walls, are very nice. The game is much better than VIce City so far.

I do have a few complaints, however. First of all, instead of the camera locking behind your car, like in every previous game, you have to contol it manually with your mouse, which is a pain in the ass. Also, it bothers me that while on foot, turing the mouse only changes your viewpoint, not your character's actual facing.

So, the game is great, but it's rather obvious that they didn't put nearly as much effort into converting the game into PC-friendly controls as they did for the past two games, which is kind of sad, given the high quality of everything else about the game.

AlexMax
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
So, the game is great, but it's rather obvious that they didn't put nearly as much effort into converting the game into PC-friendly controls as they did for the past two games, which is kind of sad, given the high quality of everything else about the game.

If you ask me, they put a ton more effort into porting this game to the PC than say Vice City. The ability to use the mouse to look around your car isn't a bad thing, it's a badly needed feature that I miss now every time I play Vice City PC. And the fact that now you have to hold RMB to 'face' a direction or aim your weapon means that you can now walk around the city with a gun out without everyone freaking out because you're aiming it at them.

Also, there is now Replay functionality with function keys. One of them (i forget which) will play back the last 30 seconds of gameplay. Another key will actually save it as an .rep file.

bigjoe
07-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Can anyone whos played both the PS2 and another version of the game comment on how well the graphics has been improved?

AlexMax
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Can anyone whos played both the PS2 and another version of the game comment on how well the graphics has been improved?

The draw distances are much much better. Also, that retarded yellow tint is gone.

DarkDragoonX
07-07-2005, 06:00 PM
The ability to use the mouse to look around your car isn't a bad thing, it's a badly needed feature that I miss now every time I play Vice City PC. And the fact that now you have to hold RMB to 'face' a direction or aim your weapon means that you can now walk around the city with a gun out without everyone freaking out because you're aiming it at them.

The car mouse look isn't bad in and of itself. The problem is that it's constant, instead of a toggle. I love bbeing able to change the camera with my mouse during a chase, but I hate having to micromanage my view when I'm just casually driving around. Also, having to hold RMB to draw your weapon isn't bad either. The problem is that in every single PC game since Half-Life, A and D strafe left/right, and moving your mouse turns your character. It's not just a GTA thing, it's the fact that such controls are a standard PC convention, and deviating from it makes the controls seem very, very alien. Rockstar could have easily kept the "RMB to aim" function, while maintaining the standard PC control scheme, but they didn't. They instead chose to use the WASD keys like a d-pad, and that's just plain lazy.

Darth Marsden
07-08-2005, 06:14 AM
No, most of us played those when they came out instead of waiting for 10 years to try to complete them. I've already completed them, I'm just playing through them AGAIN. Stop twisting what I'm saying.

vegeta1215
07-08-2005, 09:16 AM
I've already completed them, I'm just playing through them AGAIN. Stop twisting what I'm saying.

How is he twisting what you're saying when nothing in your previous post hinted that you were replaying them? Don't argue with the boss man.

Darth Marsden
07-08-2005, 08:19 PM
How is he twisting what you're saying when nothing in your previous post hinted that you were replaying them? Don't argue with the boss man. Bah, you're all in it together. You big bullies, you.:sly: