PDA

View Full Version : New design for WTC

Great Warrior
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0506/gallery.wtc.designs/01.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/06/29/wtc.tower.redesign/vert.nightview.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/06/29/vo.new.freedom.tower.affl&wm=10

What are your thoughts?

Why can't they just leave it alone? How many times was the last building set exposed to bombs and planes and other threats? It's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if something happened to the next one they build if they do so. It's like the revolutionary war. The British walked around with bright red shirts and crossed trouser strips on their shirts to hold up their clothes etc. The new freedom tower will go down too if someone really wants it to and you're just putting up a big target or bullseye for someone to aim for. Not to mention, the tower they want to make it taller then ever.... I mean it's so tall that it's out of reach for the other buildings. You have a very clear shot at it and more margin for error available. Do people ever think?

Rainman
07-01-2005, 11:56 AM
No, most people don't think. They feel. Quite a few people feel they need another tower put up there to show the terrorists that we can overcome their attacks. Petty symbolism is very popular in this country.

carrot red
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Yes, people think. They just don't agree with you. You're going to have to fight that demon yourself. : p

The reality is that if someone wants to bring down a building, they eventually will. The Empire State building is significantly taller than the buildings surrounding it as well. Should we demolish it? Of course not. We're not going to take down the Sears Tower either (and I think it's one of the tallest buildings in the country,) or the GW Bridge, or the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Arch in St. Louis, or LAX...

There are so many places in our country that are globally identifiable to people outside of the US. We have no shortage of *targets.* To concede the willingness to build and grow more, is a defeatist mentality that many resilient people will never empathize with.

You may not subscribe to the belief that building such a tower is an important statement to make. That's fine. Many do, especially on the East Coast.

As for the design, I'm ambivalent. It's ok, I guess. Some people will love it, others will hate it. I think the Twin Towers weren't well received either when they were built. Many saw them as ugly at the time. Maybe many did until 2001 also, I don't know.

It's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if something happened to the next one they build if they do so. It's like the revolutionary war.
Please tell me you're joking.

Lutraphobiac
07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Yea this tower is going to be a relatively tall building with a massive spire on top to make it the tallest in the world... We really shouldn't try to get back into the department of tallest building in the world. About ever Asian country has a plan to beat the height of THIS tower probably. That and it really isn't that much of an economical advantage anymore.

Jigglysaint
07-01-2005, 10:27 PM
If they really want to piss off the terrorists, they should put a cross monument with a hanging Christ on it. Of course that would piss off many Americans as well, but I think Bush is allready doing a great job of that.

Ganonator
07-01-2005, 10:35 PM
CNN reported yesterday that 4 of 5 NYC-ers dissaprove of the new design and name of the thing. Me thinks it's going to get redone, yet again.

Orion
07-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Let's just build some condos and be done with it...