PDA

View Full Version : ALttD: SDR Demo 2

PolygonX8
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Currently, I've been working on another Zelda quest, and putting MTPP aside (due to lack of interest in working on that). Yeah, it's another LTTD. But, it's not called "LTTD6" but, SDR rather (which is still tentative). SDR (Super-Duper Revamp) was an acronym a friend of mine came up with, and I decided to use it for the time being.
SDR contains many elements and or instances from all those LTTD games, and even some things from LN. There isn't going to be a sequel to this quest. It's just 1. If anything, I'd call it "THE Link to the Darkness" because this one really differentiates from everything in the other LTTD's, and it's my best work so far.

The demo will take you about an hour and thirty minutes at the least, and contains two of the main dungeons along with an optional dungeon for the second sword. When completed, this quest will contain two full OWs (top-bottom), ten main levels, three optional sword dungeons, three necessary (but not main) levels, and a grand total of 17 main bosses (14 if you exclude some battles with the same boss later on), 4 optional bosses, and possibly a secret area world. Not only my best work yet, but my longest quest yet as well.

Here is the main "demo post" that I wrote at PZC:

Here we are... SDR Demo 2. Before I tell you all what the demo contains, allow me to release some... background information that I highly suggest you read. Paragraphs with an asterisk next to them are vital information you should know.

Of course, before that... if you want to see shots (assuming you haven't already), please look at this topic:
http://el.zcworld.net/index.php?showtopic=277

And if you played the last demo, start over on this one here. I fixed some things, and you should play a demo in all its glory. :blah:

----------
* Quest is linear in level sequence. You must go to each level, one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3 -> etcetera. It's like Metroid, where you need each new item to advance... but, there is no SBing). The Light World is a bit away from linear; there is a good amount of space to explore before the first level. But as you complete each level, small parts of the OW become accessible (a large portion opens when you beat L3, though... parts become accessible due to acquiration of new items). The Shadow World has more space than the Light World to move around in at first, and small portions will also be accessible after each level. Each level will vary in space to move around in, though. Take note I didnt make the mistake I did it all my other Zelda quests (Small levels)... each major level is 40+ screens (L1 is 40, L2 is 60, but the Underfoot Palace is 34).

Then, bosses. Every boss in the game is unique in its own way, and all use screen cycling and some have combo cycling as well. They're all pretty flawless, and each has some pretty impressive looking moves.

* Though... before each boss room is an orange warp. BEWARE, this warp will take you back to the entrance of the dungeon, so don't step on it if you don't want to make a 1-way warp back there.

* There are also the sword dungeons - all optional. Thing is, I highly recommend actually getting each new sword, but... you can always challenge yourself and skip them (take note it won't affect the damage done to bosses as I use flags rather than enemies... though, that could change for some things).
The 2nd sword can be reached after L2, the 3rd after L5, and the 4th after L8.

A "Play Area" renamed to the Game Area, will also reappear... but, it's not in this demo, unfortunately. It's a place to build up money for each game you play, and I know of a way to make people give you money over and over again. The wallet, is not in it... that must be bought for the small price of 80 rupees. The second wallet, I'm indecisive on when it comes to putting it in the quest. There is not much shopping involved, and is only used to refill supplies.

The quest also has two areas for other items... except, these are required. One being the hammer, the other being the light arrow (silver arrow). The tunics... are not in separate dungeons (but, hey... I could change that), but in the levels themselves. The blue ring is optional, the red ring is required, and the gold ring... well, that's a secret.

There will also be a Pit of 100 Trials (as seen in PM2), but it'll operate more like WW's Savage Labyrinth. The difference? A boss stronger than the final boss on the 100th floor - and the prize is a nice one for winning.

Well, that's about it. I wouldn't say so much that these are spoilers, but more as information about the quest that may come handy... or to actually interest you in this quest.
To wrap it up, this is my best work so far, and highly exceeds LN, MXLR, and MTPP in MANY areas. In other words, I wouldn't pass this quest up.
----------

Now that we have that cleared... demo 2! The first demo of SDR contained the whole intro, all the way through L1. This next and last demo contains L2 and the Underfoot Palace, plus 3 bosses. Here's the download link:

http://el.zcworld.net/uploads/SDRDemo2.zip

Now, I hate to always stress this, but... USE 1.92 BETA 184 ONLY.
2.10 can also be used, but it really jacks up the sound quality in this quest. L2 sounded horrible, L1's volume was way below what it should've been, and I recall the boss music being extremely loud. Though, 2.10 might cause problems, so I wouldn't recommend it...
I've made this quest for 184, so that's what should be used. There is an alpha 1 and alpha 2 of 184, and I highly recommend the latter (alpha 2. The difference is that A2 has a sound buffering option in the volume control) as it's the one I use (and runs SDR properly as well).

Don't come complaining to me if you use another version and bugs occur. I hate to rant as well, but it's not only I that gets pissed off when players don't use the correct version the author has specified. There have been many other creators that also get highly annoyed by this (and have told me directly in ZC discussions). I know I'm ranting enough to be considered bitching, but it really saddens creators to see people NOT listen and use a different version and then end up complaining, or giving up because bugs occurred.
For the record, 2.10 shouldn't EVEN be used to play 1.92 quests, especially those made on a beta lower than 182. 2.10 can cause shop bugs in some games (LN, for example... and in this case, it was the shop to get a super bomb which you NEEDED to progress), and perhaps some other strange oddities.
Rather than making the wrong choice and using a version the author did NOT specify, use the one that WAS specified so that the quest runs correctly.
So once again, beta 184... but 2.10 can also work, but it really messes music up badly. Though, I don't recommend 2.10 for the full version of SDR when released (even though I'll probably end up testing the quest on that version as I know there will be people who will not follow my directions).

Aside, this quest should take you about one hour and ten minutes at the least. Enjoy the demo and give me some feedback. :)

Credits so far:
- Gashin for Shy-Guys and Boos (also did the side animation of the Starman (pols voice) and provided me with a shot of it facing down from the actual game)
- DoppleGanger for some of the story
- jman2050 for ideas for the Bread Knight boss, which were also used for the other two sword bosses
- NoeL for Zol/Gel tiles and the dust under block effect.

And, my testers (some have been busy and haven't tested yet):
DoppleGanger, Dr. Mutagen, fenoxfrost, Godsmacker, Hero Link, Ben, Magi, Bloodstar, Aerrin, Sephiroth, Tails747, Tails

Feedback would be appreciated. :)

JayeM
06-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey Poly, I thought you'd retired from ZC? ;) I'm glad to see you at it again.

PolygonX8
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
I just seemed to have a great lack of motivation at the time, but beign away from ZC caused me to earn it back.

Interesting how little to no attention this topic is getting. SDR is better than my other shit quests I've made in the past, and I'm to to say it's better than MXLR and the MTPP demo by far. I say if people have liked any of my work even SLIGHTLY, they should play this.
Or, maybe people only want non-Zelda quests these days. *shrugs*

the z
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
I really liked the custom boss on Lv:1, hey I have a question, I'm stuck at the maze path, the hint is no help, so... could you tell me, or at least give me a better hint?

PolygonX8
07-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Down, right, down, left.

Down - southward
Right - one-way path (you can enter the maze from the screen on the right, but can't go back)
Down - Before that (meaning before the second move)
Left - untaken route (Up is the exit, and you didn't come from here either)

There you go!

the z
07-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Who wants to know a GLITCH? Well folks, if you hit a trigger with an arrow it goes /\/\/\/\/ etc. Meaning, walk on the :.:.: (up down up down) things and you can walk on either color, but slowly.

PolygonX8
07-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Uh... what now? Can you rephrase that into a more understandable statement? 'cause if there's a bug in the quest, I definitely gotta fix that shit.

King Aquamentus
07-04-2005, 01:22 AM
no way. I like 2.10. It works great for me.

PolygonX8
07-04-2005, 02:30 AM
2.10 will semmingly manage to run SDR, but BH4 encoutnered a bug in a boss battle... where flags fucked you over.

skateboarder11
07-04-2005, 04:48 AM
I just finished getting the four HCPs in this quest... and I must say this is truly kickass.

(Your other quests weren't shit btw, they were pretty good :P)

the z
07-04-2005, 09:30 AM
The triggers! If you hit them with an arrow, they start flashing, and the things coming out of the floor that change(up/down) when the trigger is hit with something, start going up and down really, really, fast, so fast you can walk on either color, but slowly.

PolygonX8
07-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Ah yes... the colored switches in L2. I did that as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe I should just change the flag to a boomerang only...

the z
07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
YOUR CRAZY! Root Tulip was hard enough, but LITLESS? It's close to impossible to beat, but I haven't yet, Boos, and Fireballs!
Where is the White Sword dungeon?
Yeah, is there an easier way to defete Litless?
Also, I found a couple glitches where if you go the right direction you go into a tree making it easier to attack R.T.

Zelda Master
07-10-2005, 10:14 PM
YOUR CRAZY! Root Tulip was hard enough, but LITLESS? It's close to impossible to beat, but I haven't yet, Boos, and Fireballs!
Where is the White Sword dungeon?
Yeah, is there an easier way to defete Litless?
Also, I found a couple glitches where if you go the right direction you go into a tree making it easier to attack R.T.
Hey PolygonX8, I was wondering if you could give me some of those Kirby tiles i encountered in the game. I'm trying to make Kirby Kingdedede's revenge and i [no offense] suck at drawing tiles in zquest..:( :unhappy: :shrug: and was wondering if you could give me those tiles For Kirby Kingdedede's revenge?

PolygonX8
07-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind offering them, but they're not mine, either. I got lazy and asked the permission of an RL friend for them and then I edited a bit. :shrug:

As for Litless, he's not really hard at all. It's just a matter of dodging fireballs. In his split forms, use the boomerang and keep attacking just one of them.
And the White Sword Dungeon... from the screen to the village, go left once and there should be a broken ladder on the wall. Use the ladder from there to climb the mountain, and you'll find the palace beyond underground.

the z
07-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Do I need the raft to get though the WS dungeon?

PolygonX8
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh damn, that's right. :\ The raft is in the chest after you beat Litless.

HOWEVER... on that mountain where the WS temple is, you can find a shop to the far left of the mountain where you can get the magic shield for 100 rupees.

the z
07-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I got the Magic Shield. :)

PolygonX8
07-23-2005, 03:06 PM
With the magic shield, Litless hsould be easy. Use the boomerang on his split forms, and use arrows to take out Boos with one shot.

the z
07-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I thought that was easier than without the MS. (Hm... I wonder what the WS dungeon boss is? (If any) Answer!)

mikepjr2
07-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I had way too many problems playing this, most notable is that damn flower.
I just barely managed to kill it but then, i have to fight some dork mage or something that looks like link somewhat, and that is as far as i got.

For me, this quest crosses that border between challenging and just plane out hard and unenjoyable, it really needs to be toned down a bit, the problem with the flower was his damn thorns do not stay down long enough to get past them and their are also too many of the damn things.

And i thought that video games were meant to be fun not a pain in the bum to the point that you want to bust your own freakin monitor.

But these are just my opinions, and one person dose not count for everyone.
Other people may be able to have fun with this quest.

But im sure that their are other who think the same as me about this.

Other then how hard it was, the graphics were great.
And music was really good to.

One thing that would help is more health befor those battles.

But anyhow keep going with it, and do not let what i have said bother you too much.

They are just things to keep in mind.

PolygonX8
07-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Well actually, mikepjr2, people haven't had really any problem with the difficulty. :shrug: Hell, people told me that Root Tulip and Litless were too easy. I'm against changing that, though.
RT's roots in the last phase DO stay up long enough, you jsut have to time it correctly. You can be about a tiny split second off, though.

But hey... if you thought this demo was hard, play Sabotage Dragoon or Megaman: Dr Wily's Revegne, and you'll see what hard really is. o.o

the z: Highlight below to know of the boss. I only hope you're using the default Ambience skin here at the forums.
Bread Knight - Purple knight that appeared in the Kirby games; gave sword ability. Purple helmet with head extending back, yellow eyes inside, a blue body, white hands, and purple feet.

As for what he does, you'll have to fight him!

ZeldaLord
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
It's a place to build up money for each game you play, and I know of a way to make people give you money over and over again.
Just out of intrest, is that the shop trick?

Cool demo, anyway. I just finished level 1, and your custom boss was...interesting, to say the least. I'm liking it so far. :)

Dart Zaidyer
07-26-2005, 12:11 AM
2.10 will also crash from time to time because of the huge amount of consecutive strings in this quest.

Yeah, yeah, I didn't listen to the warning... But now you have another reason to do so.

mikepjr2
07-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Actually, i have played those quests, and yes they are very hard, I'm mainly talking about the bosses in this one though, not the game as a whole, and i finally beat that damn flower.

Would you like to know how many times i died before beating the thing?

Try 85 times.

The other thing about the roots that come up from the floor is you do not have to be on it at all and you get hurt.

I got past it and still kept getting hurt, the only reason i beat the damn thing was because of the little bug where you can step passed the trees or bushes before they pop up.

If i were you, id leave that bug in, otherwise not many people will beat the damn thing.

I'm still trying to beat that damn link knock off, and now my deaths are up to 138.

I'm not really an avid Zelda classic player.

I'm more of your casual player.

I play for fun and a good time, not so that i want to beat my keyboard and or controller to death.

Is this quest supposed to only appeal to pros?
If so, you should post that when you finish this quest, that way you will not hear from folks like me.

Not to be a jerk, im just saying.

Dart Zaidyer
07-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Litless's double beam attack is impossible to avoid. You get warped to the center of the room after hitting him the first time, which gives him a perfect opportunity to sandwich you. Since you can't risk touching the beams, you won't be able to get out of the way in time to avoid the next shot, which (surprise, surprise!) Is directed right where you're standing.

PolygonX8
07-27-2005, 08:36 AM
I and the testers had no problems dodging his beam, and I've fought him several times. I'll move Link away a tile to help that, I guess.

mikepjr2: The quest should be easily beaten by an average ZC player. All those at PureZC that played the demo beat it, and a good majority of them are average. There's only two testers and I that are pros (We've 0-gamed it so far), and if we find it hard, THEN it's a problem.

mikepjr2
07-28-2005, 07:12 AM
OK, well that is up to you.

I'm not really trying to get you to change it as much as i am letting you know how hard it is for me and anyone else out there.

But what will you do if more people play it after it is done and they tell you the same things?

I have to tell you though, the graphics get a 100%, the audio gets 100% and even the story gets a 100%, but it will be just like mega man all over again.

Mega man not long ago had to be re-released for others to be able to play it, and for me it is now fun.

But like i have said before, these are things to keep in mind is all.

PolygonX8
07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
I have about 10 testers or so, and each of them are good, skilled, pros, and two of them are not that good at all, but they still managed. :P I've got a tendency to keep all my quests the same difficulty almost, so there shouldn't be a real problem at all.

Just sharpen your skills a bit and learn some neat tricks when it comes to killing enemies, and you'll get really good. :)

the z
08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Polygon, do you have a release date yet? I finnally beat the demo and got the white sword! :D Dang, that boss was pretty hard but I beat him! Final death count: 99! :D

PolygonX8
08-21-2005, 04:27 AM
Damn, 99 deaths...

The quest won't be done for a DAMN long time. With how slowly I work, probably two or three years. Plus, I'm working back on MTPP right now, currently. Here are the current stats of SDR:
Areas: Working on #4/18
Bosses: About to work on #4/23

That basically means I'm nowhere near done...

the z
09-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Do you plan to release the tileset? (Please do!) :D
The custom bosses are what made the death count go up. :)

zelda777
09-04-2005, 08:00 PM
yes please do :)

PolygonX8
09-05-2005, 11:52 AM
The tileset... I don't know about that, as I'm strongly against releasing my Link tiles. I thought of releasing all the landscape, but that which is custom is going to be in a tileset project I'll begin sometime shortly. :shrug: