PDA

View Full Version : play ZC on a modded XBOX?

obake-san
06-26-2005, 05:08 AM
iv followed zc for several years now. id say the most annoying part of using it being stuck on the computer. i read the gba request, knowing beforehand that the person who asked that didnt know what they were talking about. this is a little different.
i have a modded XBOX (linux-based), and think it would be great to be able to play it on there. im not talking about roms, im talking about having the zc program run on the xbox. im not entirely sure it cant be done with the current windows or dos version of zc, so if anybody knows how to set that up, let me know.
if that isnt possible, having a version of the program that specificly works on the xbox would be great. im not a high level programmer, but it seems to me once you have a linux compilation working, you would just have to change the button inputs for a xbox controller. there still plans on getting a linux zc to work? and does anybody else think this would be a worthwhile addition to zc? i just want to be able to play it on a tv with a controller.
keep up the good work.

CJC
06-26-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure exactly how a modded X-Box works, but isn't it supposed to be just like a real computer? A linux version is still in beta testing as far as I know, but ZC is intended to work for that running system.
Like I said, I'm not sure how your X-Box works, but it may be possible to copy the program to your X-Box and then set up the joystick configuration to your controller.
I don't know if that would work, but you could certainly give it a try when the Linux port is completed.

obake-san
06-26-2005, 03:11 PM
is there any way i can get a copy of the linux beta to try and mess around with it on the xbox? i wont distribute it, but im sure other people would like to be able to do this too, so if i can figure this out, i can set up a guide on how to get it to work.
and yes, its pretty much like its own linux computer. it uses custom programs for emulation, webbrowsing, file management, and media playing, but probably mostly for the joystick interface being the only input (and probably to customize it for the best performance on the xbox, but i doubt zc will have any problem with performance).

MottZilla
06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
If you had a linux operating system with a compatible allegro compiled for it, it should work fine. So there is a good chance it's possible. Provided you had ZC compiled for it. The same could be said for if you loaded Windows on your Xbox. Provided you had a working allegro library compiled for it, why not.

obake-san
07-09-2005, 05:13 PM
well, who can i talk to to get a copy of the linux version. id like to see if i can get it to work.

bigjoe
07-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Man, since ZC has become popular, everyones wanted to play it on anything BUT the PC =p

MottZilla
07-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Well rather than play it on a console just get some TV-Out and a good controller for your PC. I have had those for years.

obake-san
07-10-2005, 02:51 PM
then i cant use my pc for anything while im doin that. besides, this i something that would be interesting to do. iv played zc on a pc for many years, but id like to see if this way works any better. its still zc, so its not like im takin anything away from u guys. id just play it more often if i could on a console.

Zelda_Warrior
07-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Why would you want to you your computer for something else while you're using Zeldaclassic? The only thing I can think of is like if you were burning a CD or something, but then you could have the program run in the backround.

obake-san
07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
well, i dont have a very good computer. not only that, but on top of running zc, i have my irc fileserver running constantly and aim, not to mention occasionally running a torrent or two and firefox (stupid memory leak) and streaming/transfering video files through the lan. they all add up to too much for my computer to handle at once with a full screen game running. and no, i dont have the money to buy a new computer.

Deviance
07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Well the xbox only has 64mb of ram. And I know for a fact you can put linux on it. It is possible to put zc on it.

obake-san
07-11-2005, 08:56 PM
i know it would be possible. my xbox already uses a linux os. im trying to get a copy of the linux game, even a beta, to see if i can get it to work since there is no keyboard or mouse invovled. thats the only complication that might be a problem.

laughing1989
07-13-2005, 12:49 AM
The chances of the developers delivering you a beta of the game are slim, because you would probably have to be a beta tester to try it. Just giving your word that you won't redistribute it isn't enough, considering the troubles that have happened in the past similar things. I believe all of the beta testers thus far have proven themselves very loyal to the boards and have tons of experience with testing, so I seriously doubt your call will even be answered. Sorry to burst your bubble. :(
Just wait for it to be released. You would probably have an easier time with it if you do. Most of the time beta versions of pretty much any game or program in general are buggy and unstable, and there might be problems getting it to work on the Xbox because of this. Just be patient, it shouldn't be too long before it is released to the public.

MasterSwordUltima
07-13-2005, 02:23 AM
OMFG I WANT A VERSION OF ZC FOR MY ALARM CLOCK SO I CAN PLAY IT WHEN I WAKE UP AND HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL. :D

Not many people realize that the programmers of Zelda Classic and ZQuest are all one person. So stuff will take a while. The odds of you getting a non-public release of either program are very slim, because DN works on it alone, basically. He's not giving it out unless you're a tester. :O So just wait until a linux port comes out, and then pop it into your seXBawks and go to town. You really should have asked if a linux port was out first...[shrug]

Deviance
07-13-2005, 02:46 AM
i know it would be possible. my xbox already uses a linux os. im trying to get a copy of the linux game, even a beta, to see if i can get it to work since there is no keyboard or mouse invovled. thats the only complication that might be a problem.

Well that is simple. Accumelate 100 posts then sign up as one.