PDA

View Full Version : How does one CREATE a new tileset?

gryxzl
06-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Note:Moderator - If you deem this question important enough (And I think it is, IMHO) please make this a sticky.

How can I create a custom tileset for ZC? I have several jpg and gif images I can pull into Paintbrush (Which I HOPE every pc owner has...) and can convert to a bmp file (16 color), but how can I make these bmp's tiles? A tutoral guide, if available, would be quite helpful.

Zelda_Warrior
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
If you want to make a tileset, I suggest ripping some and also hand drawing some...

To rip tiles:

1. Get a picutre.
2. You may want to re-format it to .bmp (You don't have to, but ZC works better wih .bmps)
3. Go into quest>graphics.
4. Click on an empty tile and then click grab.
5. Once in the 'grabbing editor' click file, select the picture, then select a tile you want to rip, and click rip and it will rip the tile into ZC.
6. 'Pal' recolors the picture to what it originally looked like before you opened it up into ZC. You may need to recolor tiles when grabing them.
7. 'Leeching' makes it so that you can grab the whole picture into the quest rather than just one tile.

To hand draw tiles:

1. Go into quest>graphics.
2. Click on an empty tile, then click edit.
3. Now here you just select a color from the palette, then use the sword (Like the pencil in MS paint) to draw lines.
4. The blue potion (or blue wand, depending on which version you're using) fills in areas. (Like the filling thingy in MS paint)
5. The gauntlent, when you click on a spot on the tile in the drawing area, moves the tile if you drag the mouse around while holding the mouse down.
6. The Lense of Truth lets you select a color of the same color if you click over a box in the tile editing area.
7. The red wand, when clicked on a certain color, replaces the color you clicked on with the cuirrent selected tile.

When your finished make sure it's unpassworded, save it as a .til or .qst (.qst is better because it saves palettes as well.) Then host it to a downloadable source, call it a tileset, and BAM, you made a tileset. Hope this helps.