PDA

View Full Version : Secrets on layers?

Zelda Master
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I was wondering.. Is it possible to trigger layers [ie make it rain when whistle blow]
when using an item/whistle? I DON'T mean blow whistle secret combos 16-30 come up [Tile warps]poof raining! I heard that you can use flags 16-30 to make layers happen is this possible? and if so, how do you do it?

ShadowTiger
06-23-2005, 07:08 PM
I believe it is, actually. :) Just have the secret combos on the layer itself. ^_^ Like, you can assign the screen where the layered rain will be to have secret flag #16 all over it, assign Secret Combo slot to rain, then when you blow the whistle, it rains! ... Well, as long as you've got that Flag #3 (Whistle) on the ground on your main action screen. :p

So yes, it's possible, and done exactly how it's done normally, ... only the secrets are on layers. :)

punkonjunk1024
06-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I'll be testing it later, but I don't know if it is...
Push combo flags dont' work on layers. However, I did discover - For me, it was my layer 1 (or zero, the first one) I had a layered tile, and I set a flag on the original screen (the one with the layer overlapping) in the place of the layer's tile. Now, when in ZC, instead of being able to push the layered object, I pushed the tile on that screen, and beneath it was the layered object.
But... when I tried the flag on the layer, it was a no go. shrug:

Zelda Master
06-23-2005, 07:19 PM
I believe it is, actually. :) Just have the secret combos on the layer itself. ^_^ Like, you can assign the screen where the layered rain will be to have secret flag #16 all over it, assign Secret Combo slot to rain, then when you blow the whistle, it rains! ... Well, as long as you've got that Flag #3 (Whistle) on the ground on your main action screen. :p

So yes, it's possible, and done exactly how it's done normally, ... only the secrets are on layers. :)
But wouldn't that make it so it would look black when it happens? and it replaces my tiles with rain? On a side note: What are the circles under the layers check boxes? are they used for something?

punkonjunk1024
06-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes, you use those to select the layer you are editing.

Zelda Master
06-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, you use those to select the layer you are editing.

what does that mean? [sorry i'm new to layers and stuff..]

punkonjunk1024
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
That means...
Say the one underneath "layer 1" is selected. Then, you will be placing tiles onto layer one. Now, if the one under layer 5 is selected, you will be placing tiles on the screen designated for layer 5.
Basically, it pertains to what screen you are placing tiles onto. :)

ShadowTiger
06-23-2005, 07:34 PM
But wouldn't that make it so it would look black when it happens? and it replaces my tiles with rain? On a side note: What are the circles under the layers check boxes? are they used for something?
AH! Good question. The rain (Really Should. :odd: ) have a transparent background. So you can see the rain, but not the rain's background, because the rain's background is transparent. :) so you just see the rain well above you. ^_^

Zelda Master
06-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh! Now I get it! Thanks PunkonJunk!

Rakki
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I hope you're only planning on using that for a single screen at a time in your quest, because there is a bug involving the whistle right now. Normally, whenever you trigger a whistle flag on a screen, it's supposed to change back to normal whenever you leave the screen, but for some reason, in 2.10, it doesn't. So you could cause rain to happen on a bunch of screens in an area by using the same layer with the secret combos on it over multiple screens, but after version 2.10, it won't work anymore, since they've fixed that bug.

By the way punkonjunk, that thing you mentioned about the block flag making the layer not show till the block was pushed off it, I think that's intentional. If it didn't work like that, edging against the dungeon walls in a dungeon would show over the push block if you pushed a block onto it, instead of under. So the push block flags make it like the combos are on layer 2 1/2, so it'll show above layers 1 and 2, but under 3, like normal.

Yoshi348
06-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Doesn't using the overworld map on a screen trigger all the secrets on layers there too? Another bug...

Rakki
06-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Well you can disable the option to use the map, so that solves that problem, for now. I do like having the map available in my quests though, so that's something I'm anxious to see fixed(which it probably has been already).

Zelda Master
07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
After reading the zquest manual, and using my brain, i finally figured out how to do this!:D Thank you to all of you guys who helped!