PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Orion's Darkworld?

Hyperion77
06-21-2005, 01:55 AM
I have been playing through Orion's Lightworld for the last few days and all I have to say is WOW!!! But as I near the end of this remake, I started looking to the forums to see if I could find help with some things I am having problems with...

Well, the problems can wait. What I did notice was Orion last posted that the Darkworld was "coming soon" yet that was in April of last year from the threads that I have seen. Also I saw that he was going to re-release the Lightworld with some bug fixes and an updated ending to better tie in the Darkworld quest.

Please, oh please, tell me that he did in fact finish this.

Orion
06-21-2005, 02:13 AM
I kinda stopped working on DarkWorld for awhile, but people have been asking a lot about it lately and it may entice me to pick it up again. The overworld and about 6 of the dungeons are constructed, but most of the enemy and warp data has not been entered yet. I'd say it's about half done. It kinda went to the wayside when I started working on my newer quest. If enough people are interested, I will make DW my priority, though.

I had planned on remaking LW, and hope to someday, but it is not my priority. There are a lot of graphical improvments and bug fixes I could put in, but given how messed up the quest is (I started building it in 1.84, believe it or not), it would be pretty hard to revamp the graphics, and might be easier to redo it from scratch. There are still a few bugs in it, but a lot of them can be alleviated by simply playing it in the right version (1.92, beta 182 I believe).

Glad to see people are still liking LightWorld and playing it, though. If you think I should get my arse in gear with DW, I'll definetly give it a try to start working on it again.

If you want to see what there is done of it, you may download it here:
http://www.filespace.org/bam200308/darkworld.qst

Dart Zaidyer
06-21-2005, 04:00 AM
That reminds me... When I started helping Orion with the LttP tileset, one of the first things we did was try to update Lightworld and Darkworld.

The one thing I remember most was that internally, these quests were sloppy and hard to work with. Since Lightworld was so old, it was even worse. Much of the overworld was done when there were still such things as Combo Pages. And believe me, going through everything to fix it not once, but THREE TIMES isn't easy work.

I'd say the best thing to do is restart these quests from scratch. There have been many improvements to the LttP tileset since these were started, and they're so old it would be an impossible task to properly upgrade them.

Hyperion77
06-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I'm just one voice and for you to do this just for me would be insane. But you really did do a good job with that game. I looked at some of the posts dating back to when you released the game and really some of those critics were kind of harsh. That game brought back a lot of good memories and at the same time, it was something different all together.

I really do hope that enough people voice their opinions on this. If you are able to do it better now than before, I can only imagine what the possibilities are.

Maybe a quest with both Lightworld and Darkworld already combined with your upgraded graphics and not quite so many bugs from the original... ***drool***

Lol, well anyways, thanks for making the Lightworld game. 4 years later, there are still people still enjoying it.