PDA

View Full Version : Why linux is awesome..

Michaelk88
06-20-2005, 04:56 AM
1. Hard Drives Never need defrag
2. Programs load ALOT faster
3. Uses almost no cpu on idle, where windows uses like 15%
4. Doesnt need no Serial Code (eg. REDJE-3REJE-44WEKD-EJEW3)
5. Doesnt cost 99$ for upgrade and 199$, if you want the fully functional version (XP Professional) Which you can get for free anyway
6. not as many viruses
7. doesnt come with ie
8. impressive graphics
9. doesnt need service packs (like XP SP2)
10. More configurable
11. Some sofware installs instantly, without wizards
12. oh and comes with mozilla and firefox

SomUnknown
06-20-2005, 05:17 AM
1. EDIT: I did some research and this is true, most of the time. There are instances when there is a need to defrag Linux, although rare.
2. Depends on hardware, I have a computer that can't run KDE well at all, but can run 2000Pro no problem.
3. I'm running XP and it has an Idle of 0%.
4. That's because it's free.
5. If you don't want (professional) customer support, and guarantee.
6. Yet, as it gets more popular the security holes will be more exploited.
7. Nope, comes with its own prepackaged browser.
8. That's just stupid, go home.
9. Another stupid statement, as you should download security and other updates for Linux as well. Instead of releasing services packs, they just put up a new version.
10. I know of programs that can make XP just as configurable.
11. And you complained about IE coming without permission. You also said you like customization, which this feature hinders.
12. Depends on the Distro.

Ich
06-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Windows will often stop working for no reason. When Linux stops working, I know whose fault it is: mine. I've used two distros in the past year, SUSE and Debian, and I've liked both a lot. I think anybody who is going to convert needs about two weeks in close contact with someone who knows what they're doing. After that hurdle is passed, it's not too hard for the person to do stuff on their own, or figure out how to get help from IRC and the internet.

SixTen
06-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Linux can't play any good games.

Masamune
06-20-2005, 11:30 PM
God, fuck linux. Fuck it in its stupid open source ass. I like my OSs simple and easy to use. Linux is everything but. Took me like half a fucking hour to figure out how to install AIM, then I found out I liked the version of kopete which was included much more. Then some other things couldn't be installed because they only came in source so I needed a compiler and ofcourse I'm like "Compiler?! WTF?" So fuck linux. Windows XP pro is the OS for me.

Michaelk88
06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Well theres gaim out there... gaim.sourceforge.net and it comes with fedora.

They say you need to Work at linux to crash it, and Work ON windows to crash that.

All i use Windows (my family computer) for is to burn cds.
Edit: oh and mostly music, dvds and **Linux isos**

Oh and theres winehq.com which can emulate windows apps and games

oh and i hate windows becuase sp2 doesnt install becuase i didnt feed poor bill... he has to walk those filthy streets, just becuase i couldnt pay the 299 (i want pro, home sucks).. now i feel bad for bill gates.. we have the be thankful that we dont have to think about where out next plasma screen or lamborghini or even... oh shutup... yes i know about kazaa and p2p, but id rather use something legal

Verman
06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Both have uses.

I would never dream of using windows (even 2003) for a web server, has to be linux. The uptime is always there amoungst other things.

BUT

for a home computer, I use winXP. My girlfriend doesnt understand anything at all about computers so I try to keep it simple for her... All I use it for is email, MSN and sharing MP3s/Movies to my xbox.

I'm thinking of setting up like a little PIII and putting at least a drive with 200gb of room on it in it. then I'll through slackware on it... my current pc has 160gb but I would rather have the little server... that way the xbox can store games on it as well as the mp3s and movies (the pc and xbox can use it then :D).

MacWeirdo42
06-21-2005, 10:38 AM
I would love to use linux, even have it installed on my computer, but I need to figure out the whole wireless networking thing in order to use the internet while I'm using it.

gdorf
06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
I used to be like you. I was giddy about linux, and hated windows (fight the power!!!). Then I grew up and realized that different operating systems have different purposes, and for desktop usage XP kicks ass. Once you get over the "omg- I can make my start menu transparent, how l33t!!" factor, and realize it takes you 4 days of searching through MAN files and internet message boards to find out how to install a printer, Linux begins to lose its appeal.

Linux can be a fun hobby and I even think it can be a valuable tool for the right purpose. I am glad I understand how to write bash scripts, compile source, and update a kernel, because someday I might use it in the tech industry. But for god's sake, don't herald it as the end-all replacement for Windows. Its not meant as a desktop OS.

PS: (stick it to the man!!!)

Michaelk88
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
its getting there...

in the future they may even come out with open windows... (after m$ dies)

AlexMax
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
INSTALL LINUX PROBLEM SOLVED, AM I RITE!

Here are my problems with it:

1) No unification in package management. RPM is flawed (hi dependancy hell), and YUM is only a bandaid on the solution. DEB is great, but only debian based distributions support it. Windows may have multiple companies doing install programs, but at least they're all doing mostly the same thing.
2) The reliance of many people on "source only". Please. I don't want to download ten million different libraries and go through the hastle, however small you may argue it is, to build from source. I want to download this piece of software, install it, and get on with my life.
3) Alt-Tab. I don't care how yuo do it, but I want to be able to alt tab from a full screen graphical program to another graphical screen (not a console).
4) Drivers. There isn't much that can be done about this, but unless you're masachistic, you're basically forced to use an nVidia video card to get accelerated X. I want my piece of shit Intel EXTREME onboard graphics card to run accelerated X too.
5) GTK themes vs. KDE themes. I don't care if you like programing with GTK 2/+ or with QT libraries, but would it kill you to figure out some easy way to make the actual windows look somewhat similar? I have my awesome theme for KDE, I don't want to do some stupid hack that doesn't work 100% or wait for the author to convert the same theme to GNOME to get my graphical programs to display the same. Oh, and on a side note, can you please figure out why KDE's sound system is so terrible. I do not want to wait a few minutes for KDE to let go of the sound system so I can fucking start Neverwinter Nights.
6) man pages. Explain the contents of a man page for a basic command to a casual user. If he is utterly confused, rewrite it. At least group the fuctions into 'most used' and 'never use in a million years'
7) Configuration. It's easy if you know exactly where in the mess of configuration files on your system a certain file is (usually /etc, which is good) and what it's named (HAHAHAHA, good luck). Or if you know exactly where the configuration utilites are on your computer (most likely in a console, and most likely named this really long name in a really obscure directory that you'll never remember when you need to)
8) Cockyness of it's fans. No, I don't have a reason to switch, other than curiosity. Granted, Microsoft zealots are just as bad, and have less well founded opinions, but that doesn't mean free software zealots are right, just a tiny bit less idiodic.
9) Documentation. The really easy to do stuff seems to be well documented and on every single Linux help site. And a UNIX or Linux pro is certainly a good help. But the step between basic end user and power user seems to be vast, and it's only gotten a little smaller over the years (thank god 90% of my hardware is finally being detected these days at least). Something like the Linux Wiki at LinuxQuestions.org, except on a much larger scale and more all-encompasing would be VERY useful. Even if I've been wrong a few above points (and yes, I've used Linux recently) can you people please update your god damned documentation so I don't have to have these misconceptions.

Now, I'll admit, it IS stable as all get out. And the commandline interface is light years ahead of Windows XP's commandline interface and scripting (but that'll be fixed with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSH_(shell) (MSH)) However, it's FAR from being a practical desktop replacement for all but the most skilled Linux users and the most basic computer users (those who only need it for word processing and web surfing).

GuitarmanTim
06-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I tried to get linux to work for about an entire week. At the end of the week, I still had no internet connection, my printer, videocard and soundcard were not identified and I could find no actual help files appart from ones that used long abbreviations to explain acronyms of other abbreviations explaining a command that was way to long and that should be entered in a prompt hidden somewhere far away.

So much for speed and ease of use. I stopped trying.

Beldaran
06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Saying Linux is more stable and efficient than Windows is like saying my bicycle is more stable and efficient than my car. This is true. My car will break and it costs a fuckload in gas and it pollutes the environment. But I get where I'm going a hundred times faster, so fuck the bicycle.

War Lord
06-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I didn't read every reply to this thread, but from what I read it's the same bs as usual.
I'm not sure what version windows bashers are talking about, it's gotta be 95.
I use XP pro, and never have a problem. I never restart, and never lockup, crash, or anything.

If you like Linux, more power to you, but please remember no one gives a fuck if you do and why you think Windows sucks.

The only use I found for it was running a chat server or web server. However even those 2 things I think now would be just as good on an XP box if I chose to do either again.

Deviance
06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
My Reasons about why linux sucks and Opinions about it.. Yes I use to use linux and I </3 it.

1. Have to compile pretty much everything from source.
Takes forever to have it done.

2. Linux Doesn't crash.
Oh yeah you linux guru's always say OMG KERNEL PANIC. It means it crashed.

3. Takes too long to install.
Yeah I had to wait for more than an hour for it to install. Took me 30 minuets for xp. :(

4. Setting up networking if you have wireless is a bitch.
Yeah you have to go get a little program to do that. But yet you just installed linux and don't have the internet, so how do you suppose to do that?

5. Driver Support
You say everything supports linux. Not really. It doesn't support my drivers I use. Then you give us the excuse oh it is your drivers. Though linux was compatable with everything?

6. Ugly start up.
Enough to say there.

7. Another program requires a program.
Yeah can't just install the program without it bitching for something else.

8. Programs run slow.
If you have a slow pc. Don't try it at home kids.

9. Does require updates also.
Yeah so what if it doesn't require service packs. You still have to update it. I rather everything come with one big thing unlike linux.

10. Can't configure everything
If you want to configure everything you be better off recompiling. :(

11. You can play windows games perfectly.
Yeah if you want to dish out $5 for it. Then you need the correct video card that actually works with linux.

12. Sound Mixing
It doesn't do soundmixing. I tried it with two distros. They just lock the program up.

13. Sound Software
Linux can't decide what program it want's to use for sound software. You got alsa, oss, esd, etc...

14. Never gets a virus or get hacked.
Because no one gives to shits about the os.

15. OMG NEVER HAVE TO DEFRAG!
Yeah it defrags every second. That degrades performance.

16. Linux is free.
Not hard to pirate windows now and days ;)

You still have much learning to do young one.
It's pretty much just for doing webhosting.

jman2050
06-22-2005, 05:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sean is funny :)

Deviance
06-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Then Humor me hotshot tell us why LINUX! is so good?

SomUnknown
06-22-2005, 06:42 PM
A common complaint about Linux seems to be hardware/driver compatibility. I've never run into this problem, but rather the reverse. On a couple of old computers I have (that have on-board everything) Windows couldn't figure out what drivers it needed. So I installed Linux, wrote down what it said the hardware was then found Windows drivers for them.

AlexMax
06-22-2005, 07:15 PM
I didn't read every reply to this thread, but from what I read it's the same bs as usual.
I'm not sure what version windows bashers are talking about, it's gotta be 95.
I use XP pro, and never have a problem.

Hell yeah. I've been using XP Pro, and the only reason I have ever bluescreened was because of my hardware screwing up. It's by far my favorite version of Windows ever.

Windows 98 needs to just die though. Much of my Windows hate a few years ago grew up around constant problems I was having with 98. Man, fuck Windows 98, I'd rather trip over myself ten times trying to install Debian Linux than install that unstable piece of shit on any computer I ever own again.

Zelda_Warrior
06-22-2005, 07:29 PM
It's a fuckin OS. I know i dont give a shit about which OS to use. Get an OS. dwonload it. Stop whining.

Glitch
06-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Windows 98 needs to just die though. Much of my Windows hate a few years ago grew up around constant problems I was having with 98. Man, fuck Windows 98, I'd rather trip over myself ten times trying to install Debian Linux than install that unstable piece of shit on any computer I ever own again.

Not nearly as bad as Windows ME.....that OS was fucked like a white chic in a room full of negros.

Michaelk88
06-22-2005, 09:22 PM
omg... windows me...

i was showing a friend <staff member at old school> my mad skills on making msdos batch files... the next day, it asked for that file... i had to go into the regesitry and delete all the strings that relate to it... then it worked better...

oh and if i was going to use windows, i would go with xp professional(whatever you do, DO NOT GET HOME)... thats whats installed on the living room computer, but i cannot install sp2 becuase of an invalid serial number ( that long 20 character code that you need). i think MS needs to chill with the prices... geez! its not like he went broke just becuase i got xp for free...

if i was to go back on this laptop, i would go with server 2003, becuase i have a legal serial i can still activate whenever i need it.

SomUnknown
06-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Stop yelling!

Why should Microsoft let you have Windows for free?
Oh wait, that's right, you’re an economic genius. All businesses should pick up this philosophy.

I could have all the free pie I want. I could get any video game for nothing...
Oh wait, that wouldn't work.

Michaelk88
06-22-2005, 09:58 PM
i didnt say for free but maybe make it like 50$ for home full and 130$ for pro full

ShadowTiger
06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Not nearly as bad as Windows ME.....that OS was fucked like a white chic in a room full of negros.Yeah, I agree. =/ We keep our PC's safe and clean at all times, and on occasion, ME doesn't even finish loading to the desktop. :sweat: It's pathetic.

Though, I've never had a problem with my Win98. I really like it. It's stable as anything, and I can't remember the last time it's frozen or crashed. (And what do I have to gain or prove by saying it? Nothing. Thus, I would have no reason to lie. :p )

I prefer my machines for gaming and internet use. I'll simply never touch Linux. I'm satisfied with what I'm using. I don't want to go installing something major, have problems halfway through, then have more troubles switching back. Just not going to happen.

vegeta1215
06-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Windows 98 needs to just die though... Man, fuck Windows 98

Amen. The better memory management of Windows XP is reason enough to upgrade from Windows 98.

I don't argue with people anymore about what OS to use. You can see what it leads to (see above posts). I say use what works best for you. For me that's Linux.

gdorf
06-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Amen. The better memory management of Windows XP is reason enough to upgrade from Windows 98.

I don't argue with people anymore about what OS to use. You can see what it leads to (see above posts). I say use what works best for you. For me that's Linux.

Thats what I like about you, Vegeta. You're one of the (few) cool Linux users. It works for you, you promote it without being obnoxious, and you don't have an elistist attitude. If Linux had more people like you backing it, maybe it'd be even more popular. Most people who use it make me ashamed to have used it at all.

vegeta1215
06-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Thats what I like about you, Vegeta. You're one of the (few) cool Linux users. It works for you, you promote it without being obnoxious, and you don't have an elistist attitude. If Linux had more people like you backing it, maybe it'd be even more popular. Most people who use it make me ashamed to have used it at all.

After I first started using Linux, I posted in a few threads like these at AGN, but they all lead no where cause all everyone did was bicker back and forth. It's just not worth arguing over anymore.

Browsers, however, are a different story ;)

Michaelk88
06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
More people need to be like that. i admit it i am one of them who says youll be more "31337" if you use this os b/c it rox0rs. Linux is a cool operating system. its just not out there for everone to use. Like if i wanted to play zc (now), i would have to mess with winehq. if i wanted dreamweaver, i would have to go to my windows box.

Now i pefer both anyway. Windows helps me burn cds, dvds, even edit webpages in WYSlWYG mode. The app i pefer to use for my cd audio burning is *ahh* Windows Media Player 10 or 9.

Now the reason why people bash "M$" is becuase there gealous... hes NOT a nerd, but just a marketing genis. When you see about how he started his carrer, youll know. He didnt have the money fly into his house like magic. You have to work to make the money. Me, i would want some of his dough (dream on).

Now.. the reason WHY so much is not compatible with linux, is that not much people use it yet, NOT becuase bill gates wants to "pwn" us all!

enough said... im sure all my hard work and thinking on this post will be flammed somehow... just use whatever you want and be happy

Masamune
06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I was atleast able to burn CDs and DVDs in linux without any trouble at all. Why can't someone as mighty in the ways of linux as you are do it?

vegeta1215
06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
One trick is finding the right programs to use on Linux. There are just so many out there. I'm finding new programs all the time. Nvu (http://www.nvu.com), for instance, is shaping up to be a nice WYSIWYG editor.

EDIT: I just downloaded and tried a Ubuntu Linux Live CD. It looks like a pretty nice distro. Very clean looking, and easy to use. I had to take a look at it after all the buzz I've been reading about it online. (it's based on Debian I believe) I highly recommend giving the live CD a try - you just boot from it and run it. It won't change your current system. http://www.ubuntulinux.org/