PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update is Alive! O_O

Monica
06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I thought it'd be fun to share this little story...

Since my dad reformatted his computer and gave it to me, it's been acting very strange. No matter what my dad does, he can't get LiveUpdate working on the AntiVirus, and it works on both the other computers. Also, I have a PS2 to PC adapter and I have to unplug it and replug it in once a day or the computer won't detect it. No errors, it just won't work until I plug it in again, lol. This isn't every time I reset it either, it's once in a 24 hour period. O_O

And now the reason I decided to post is because my dad tried to put the newest Nvidia driver on it and Windows Update would bug us until we put the older one back, so dad turned off Automatic Updates. Now I go and check and there is a total of 7 critical updates, and no more are selected in the update site. There are three usless updates that I won't even get and 0 Hardware updates. But it says 8 Updates are selected. Yes I check Hidden Updates and nothing is in there. So that old graphics driver is keeping all the other updates hostage, lol. But my dad says not to worry and he'll reformat when he gets time, maybe this weekend. I think this computer liked him better than it likes me, lol.

Has anyone else had a computer turn agaist them, lol? :)

vegeta1215
06-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Unless you're having performance issues with your graphics card, there's really no reason to update to the newest driver everytime one is released. Why fix what isn't broken?

I haven't really had any problems with Windows Update on our Windows XP laptop, but in the past the hardware updates offered always screwed up things, so I never get them anymore. I only get the critical updates, and some of the software ones (like Windows Media Player) if I want them.