PDA

View Full Version : Language learning

Great Warrior
06-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I learned a little Spanish in school, but I forgot it all. Does anyone speak a second language? What are the best foreign languages to learn for business?

Steezy20
06-17-2005, 10:16 AM
For business I would say German... lots of industry there.
As for me, i got an A grade in French and i've won awards for German... then proceeded to forget both in less then 12 months.

Kairyu
06-17-2005, 11:50 AM
As a Latin student, I'd say Latin, since it's a basis for so many other languages.

Glitch
06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
I took 2 years of Spanish is high school. I fucking hated it. I hated it so much I purposly got C's so that on my exam day I could walk in and write "Spanish Sucks" on the test and still end the semester with a C. I don't remember a damn thing I learned in that class except for the fact that "Moocow es punta."

Great Warrior
06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I could swear in several languages, but that does not count. :p

carrot red
06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Spanish and French come first, I guess. Those are the two most spoken languages in the American Continent.

No language is useless. German is the easiest language to learn if English is your native language. If you really want to learn it, go ahead. Chinese is also an option now that China is eating up all the markets everywhere, but I think you need years to master Mandarin.

Archibaldo
06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I can speak English and French. But I want to learn German. But you want to learn Chinese, good luck, the older you are the harder it is to learn a foreign language. Especially as one as complicated sounding like Chinese. But apparently there's no tense's. My math teacher is chinese, and he says that it's alot easier to speak than french or english. FOr example, in English it would be, "The man went to the store" but in Chinese it would be more like, "The man go to the store". There's only one tense, so it's probably alot easier to speak. Unlike French where there's masculin and feminin and there are like 5 different tenses. Like present, future, simple future, future participle, past, past participle, etc.

Pablo
06-17-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd master Spanish, if only to make sure that the guy at McDonald's gets your order right. I'm studying it, but I have an easier time of it because half of my family speaks it. I'd call myself semi-fluent.

Dechipher
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Spanish is best for business, probably due to the fact that there are a lot of immigrants and whatnot.

That's what I've always been told anyway.

ShadowTiger
06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
On the weekends, I'm constantly surrounded by people speaking Hebrew. I can read it fluently, I can understand it mostly fluently, but I can only speak it moderately. ... Then again, that's the nature of most languages. :p

I can read a bit of Elven, and I can read the runic fonts you find in the Ultima games fluently. :p I've written tiny novels in that script. ^_^; Heh.

firebug
06-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I remember there was a lady who walked around my elementary school and 'taught' a spanish class to all the kids. Each classroom got about half an hour a day with her, and I have slight memories of actually understanding her spanish babble, so she must have been at least a pretty good teacher (or I was just extremely impressionable at that young age).

I went to japan when I was 10 for 6 weeks. My dad coached me on a lot of basic lingo before we left, and while I was there, I soaked it up like a sponge. By the time I left, I was able to carry on extremely simple conversations in japanese (think of a three year old's grasp of the language) enough for me to get across ideas.

In high school I took two years of german, but never really understood any of it, just sort of barely didn't fail. heh.

Now, I don't remember any of it. Which is kind of wierd.

Rainman
06-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I liked taking Spanish in Highschool and was going to try to speak it well. Haven't taken any classes on it in a while though. I can still moderately understand spanish text.

MANDRAG GANON
06-18-2005, 01:17 AM
I know a bit of french, I want to learn Norwegian, German, Japanese, Chinese and alot of others...
Chinese is probably a really good language to know for buisiness. I'm pretty sure Chinese is the most if not the second most used language in the world...I may be wrong though.

VT_Hokie_Fan
06-19-2005, 01:59 PM
I suck at German. My teacher died, so of course the new teacher was a moron who didn't explain things. All I can say is...
Wie heiBt du? Ich heiBe Max. Du machst du mutter.
I can't wait for High School to end.

Dechipher
06-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in the world.
I think English is second, then French and then Spanish.

Ich
06-20-2005, 02:55 AM
I speak German pretty well. I'm going to krautland for a year, and I'm leaving at the end of August. The biggest thing that I cannot stress enough is that you must immerse yourself as much as you can in the language to learn it well. I listen to a ton of mp3's in German, and that has helped my vocabulary tremendously. Immerse yourself as much as you can, and music helps you in a way that reading can't. I find myself using expressions that I learned through songs, using the specific phrasing because I know it's the *right* way to say something.

German Punk = <3

Great Warrior
06-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Mandarin Chinese has never been one language I thought I would learn. Latin is very hard. I think I will give German or French a try.

Manny
06-20-2005, 04:34 AM
English is my native language, and I also speak and understand portuguese most fluently. I used to be able to speak spanish pretty well, but now I can only understand it really well. I know bits and pieces of Danish, and would love to learn more languages fluently.
-manny