PDA

View Full Version : Science proves it - Terry Schiavo was actually retarded!

punkonjunk1024
06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Stupid netscape article (http://isp.netscape.com/lcisp/home/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050615%2F1448911069.htm&sc=1110&floc=isp-08&related=off)

This made me laugh.

He also said she was blind, because the "vision centers of her brain were dead,'' and that her brain was about half of its expected size when she died 13 days following the feeding tube's removal.

"The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain,'' he said. "This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons.''
aaand...

Regardless of the autopsy findings, the Schindlers continue to believe their daughter was not in a persistent vegetative state, their lawyer, David Gibbs III, said after Thogmartin's report. He said they plan to discuss the autopsy with other medical experts and may take some unspecified legal action.
I can see it now...
"we're sorry, but terry could in no way have been brought out of her vegatative state. Here are the autopsy findings."
"nuh-uh! liar! science is wrong! God and prayer would have made her better!"

Science is soooo kewl.

So what are you guy's thoughts on this article? I know no one wants to hear MORE about terry, now that she finally died, but I think this article is awesome.

mikeron
06-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Science is soooo kewl.Yes, yes it is. (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=646759)

MacWeirdo42
06-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Interesting article, but I don't see how this would have helped Terri Schiavo. Half her brain was gone! Haha! That is quite humorous. Well, not the fact that half her brain was gone but rather the fact that her parents insisted (and still insist) on defending her so much. With that much damage, even assuming a miracle, like re-growing her brain cells, Terri Schiavo, as everyone knew her, was dead.

AlexMax
06-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Now I can say with upmost certainty.

SHE WAS ESSENTIALLY DEAD, GET OVER IT GOD DAMNIT

Rainman
06-16-2005, 12:19 AM
That means nothing to the parents. They will continue to believe that her soul would rather want to continue in a retarded, blind body.

Vagla
06-16-2005, 12:20 AM
I don't see why she had to be killed; her parents were completely fine with keeping her alive as a demanding house plant. Despite that, however, I don't care about the fact that she was killed because, as has already been said, the Terri Schiavo they knew and loved was dead. You don't keep a corpse around until it decomposes, so why keep a mindless body around hoping it will get a brain from the Wizard? Science has shown that her brain was essentially irrepairable; how can anyone have so much hope that that much damage could eventually be fixed?

But anyway, I'm glad that the autopsy has finally shown how gone she really was. Hopefully this will put an end to at least some of the bickering that's gone on about this topic. :)

Rainman
06-16-2005, 12:26 AM
The whole reason that her feeding tube was removed was because her husband said she wanted it. He didn't get it in writing though and her parents selfishly wanted to keep her as a statue. :shrug:

ShadowTiger
06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
how can anyone have so much hope that that much damage could eventually be fixed?Are you a parent? Unfortunately, (That word can be debated upon.) Terry was still their daughter. The Standard parents will love their children to death. Apparently, they did. :shrug:

Vagla
06-16-2005, 12:38 AM
But shouldn't a parent realize it's time to let go when all the child is is a living, mindless corpse? That's not that parent's child; it's a body. How some people can't cope with that fact is surprising to me, at the very least.

SomUnknown
06-16-2005, 12:48 AM
You've been able to cope with such things?

ShadowTiger
06-16-2005, 12:58 AM
But shouldn't a parent realize it's time to let go when all the child is is a living, mindless corpse? That's not that parent's child; it's a body. How some people can't cope with that fact is surprising to me, at the very least.Well, And rest assured Vagla, I know what you're coming from on this, IMHO, there really isn't a stronger bond than the love between a parent and his/her child. It truly is rare to see such a thing. If your child is on death's door, you would do ANYTHING to save them. Heck, Terri was in a coma for the longest time, during which time she wasn't dead. Perhaps the parents had extrapolated some hope from this, and were continuing to hope for a miracle that lied roughly on that same line they had seen when she had awoken. =/

It's just a thought though, really. We can't look into the minds of the parents and see what they were thinking.

Vagla
06-16-2005, 01:10 AM
You've been able to cope with such things?
Nope, nor do I intend to have kids. I can't stand them. ;) I expect I would be able to at least understand that the person is gone, anyway. I don't believe in souls and whatnot; a person is his brain, plain and simple. When it's broken beyond repair, that person is gone. I may not like it and may be utterly depressed about having to let go, but I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that there's still enough hope to warrant keeping a vegetable around for years and years.

SomUnknown
06-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Nope

My point is complete.

I find through life, what I expect I would do and what I do in a given situation are two very different things.

Trusso
06-16-2005, 01:41 AM
I heard about this report on CNN, and I knew some where deep down in the soul I don't have according to some that someone was going to post about it.

You know what I think of this article? I think it is another shining example of politics exploiting a horrable family tragedy in order to push an agenda. I think this article is going to cause a bunch of "i told you so's" all over the United States which in turn will re-ignite this already inflamitory topic. And that's not something I'm looking forward to.

mikeron
06-16-2005, 02:23 AM
Interesting article, but I don't see how this would have helped Terri Schiavo. Half her brain was gone! Haha!Actually, my point is that Science has better applications than deciding exactly how sad a particular tragedy is. As for losing half of your brain, there's an operation some people undergo where exactly half of the brain is removed, and the patient recovers. It sort of makes you wonder what someone with a "whole brain" has for an excuse.

Great Warrior
06-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Can anyone tell me that if she were your daughter, you wouldn't believe any doctor who told you there was a chance for her to have gotten better? I doubt it.
I think letting her die was the right thing to do. But without actually being her parents, how can we judge the actions of parents who, in their minds were only doing what they could to keep their daughter alive. I don't care if they lied, cheated and defrauded the system, I am not them and I think, if anything, you should feel sorry for people who believe they lost their daughter after years of battling to keep her alive.
They would probably think I am a monster only because I believe letting her die was the right thing to do, but that is my opinion.

punkonjunk1024
06-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Yes, yes it is. (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=646759)
Yes, but see... That doesn't mean these scientists could devolope a ball of braincells and just tack it onto to terry's bad brains.

She was gone... Just because we can make braincells doesn't mean we can make brains.

My point of view on parents... Well, from my perspective, if I were in that condition, vegatative, or just concious beneath a useless shell... Shit, I'd really, really want to die. I don't like being useless. I never want to be useless to anyone. I would have hoped terry would have felt the same way, and her parents would have recognized that. But maybe not, I can't say all people in the world are like me.
But... A living houseplant, or a statue... metaphors already given, how would anyone like to be regarded as that? Thats sickening. I'd bet she'd be glad that she died, if she had the capability.

...one thing I'm glad is that all those picketers who thought that "that video proves she's OK inside!" are all like PWNED because... her brain. was. broken.

bigjoe
06-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Actually, my point is that Science has better applications than deciding exactly how sad a particular tragedy is. As for losing half of your brain, there's an operation some people undergo where exactly half of the brain is removed, and the patient recovers. It sort of makes you wonder what someone with a "whole brain" has for an excuse.
And wasnt there this guy who got more than half of his brain blown out with a revolver and he recovered and then went on to complete college? I dont know his name, but he was a black guy and there was like this video at school about him.... uhhhh...

Rainman
06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
And wasnt there this guy who got more than half of his brain blown out with a revolver and he recovered and then went on to complete college? I dont know his name, but he was a black guy and there was like this video at school about him.... uhhhh...

It entirely matter what parts you miss. Yes people have gotten most of there brain removed and gone on to lead relatively normal lives. This works because the brain is bilaterally symmetrical with essentially the same thing on either side barring a few things. The brain has the ability to compensate for the few missing peices in the other side. However, if you were to lose everything from a specific brain system like let's say the limbic system, which governs emotional reactivity, then you can't really grow back another one so you're pretty much fucked.

mikeron
06-16-2005, 04:19 PM
And wasnt there this guy who got more than half of his brain blown out with a revolver and he recovered and then went on to complete college? I dont know his name, but he was a black guy and there was like this video at school about him.... uhhhh...That's fucking crazy. I need to look that up.

Oh yeah, PoJo, congrats on your glorious victory. :thumbsup:

SomUnknown
06-17-2005, 01:25 AM
"nuh-uh! liar! science is wrong! God and prayer would have made her better!"

Science is soooo kewl.

Holy crap!

Medical research points to...
Prayer has healing properties!

http://www.wisinfo.com/newsherald/mnhlocal/286978948215718.shtml

http://www.modbee.com/life/healthyliving/story/10683904p-11467476c.html

mikeron
06-17-2005, 05:33 AM
You guys should really rent What the Bleep do We Know?. It mess you up.

SixTen
06-17-2005, 11:01 AM
You guys should really rent What the Bleep do We Know?. It mess you up.
That movie blew my mind! It is seriously an interesting movie, even if you have to watch it a couple times to understand what is being said.

punkonjunk1024
06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Holy crap!

Medical research points to...
Prayer has healing properties!

http://www.wisinfo.com/newsherald/mnhlocal/286978948215718.shtml

http://www.modbee.com/life/healthyliving/story/10683904p-11467476c.html
Right right, god again.

I do believe that the power of positive thinking can effect how you "heal"... Thinking your going to die can't be good for cancer patients.

But uh... how many of these people who's healing was helped by prayer...
How many grew an extra brain? I don't think it works quite that well.

SomUnknown
06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
You should read the articles again.

The patients were not informed that they were being prayed for, nor was all the prayer towards a Christian God.

AlexMax
06-17-2005, 09:17 PM
My point is complete.

I find through life, what I expect I would do and what I do in a given situation are two very different things.

Doesn't make it any more right.

SomUnknown
06-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Nor was I arguing that it was. I was just simply pointing out that he really didn't know what he would do in that situation. As such, we really have no place to judge them, as we have not experienced this for ourselves.

Now onto the moral side of things:
I know I wouldn't want to be trapped in a lifeless body, but they had no way of knowing she had next to no chance of recovery, as the autopsy results came after she was dead.

I don't belive that she should have been kept alive, but it was not my decision to make. It was her families, who knew Terri her entire life.

The way they killed her was highly inhumane, by slowly dehydrating and starving her to death. There are better ways, lethal injection, bullet; even being run over by a truck would be better.

Master Ghaleon
06-18-2005, 05:32 PM
If I was a veggie or severly retarded and on life support, I would want my family to pull the plug on me to stop the suffering. I know I couldn't live like that.