PDA

View Full Version : I Had a Blast!

Monica
06-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey y'all, I'm back from MDA Camp and I had a blast! I don't have any pics now but I may decide to post a few when I get some.

I was in Cabin 5, aged 15-21 girls (we are the oldest)
My Counselor's name is Katie and this is my 3rd year with her.

We went to the flagpole at almost every meal and sang the Star-Spangled Banner and the Rainbow Song:
We're a Rainbow made of Children
We're an army singing a song
There's no weapons that can stop us
Rainbow love is much too strong

Old man Posner took his rifle
Defending Mom and Apple Pie
When I offered him a flower
He just stood and asked me why

I was taught that black was evil
I was taught that white was good
But in a rainbow it doesn't matter
Every color's understood

And the prayer:
Dear Lord,
Thank you for this day
Thank you for MDA
Amen
Dig in!

Saturday
The day we went, not much happened.

Sunday
Amusment park day: They set up a whole bunch of stuff including SNES, N64, Xbox in the room that's usually Rainbow Mart in the gym. I played SNES Mario Kart with an undefeated champion, Bo, and couldn't beat him lol.
They also had the Shoot & Shower, this competitive basketball game that drops water on the losing side. Katie and I started a game, and my date, Gaston, jumped in on my side and his camper Gary jumped in on Katie's side and Gaston and I lost, hehe. After that I got a Strawberry Dackery from the refreshment stand, it was awesome. ^_^
There was also the Rock Wall. I climbed it with the help of the firefighters who were running it.
Then I did the 70ft (long) Ultimate Challenge which was an inflatable obsticle course which was much harder than it looked. ^_^
There were paddleboats and bumper boats and fun jumps but I didn't do them because I was too exhausted. I went back to hang out in the arcade some more then went swimming and by then it was time to get ready for supper and everything was closed (we had gotten lunch at 12, everything was open from 9 to 4:30) While we were at the pool, Katie got thrown in by her best friend. Counselors are allowed to do that to each other but not to campers. When he pulled her up, she scraped her knee really bad up the side. :(:(:( The nurses took care of it all week. It was gushing blood.
That night was the Christian Band concert we always have on Sunday (usually in the morning though) I think I had strained the tendon in my left ankle (it had given me problems around Easter but had gone away) and I could barely walk in the gym where all the night stuff is held so the director lent me a spare manual wheelchair. My tendon was fine the rest of the week :))
After the concert, we had a bit more free time so Katie and I were talking to Gaston and a few others. I was in the wheelchair and the horses arrived for us to ride on Monday. There was this beautiful blonde horse that this cowboy rode right up to us and asked me if I would ride it tomorrow, and I said yes. :)

Monday
Western Day: I did ride that horse with the cowboy right after breakfast, because my cabin was in group B. Group A had arts and crafts first. In arts and crafts we decorated cowboy hats and put a frisbee in a spinner and poured paint on it. Guess what color frisbee I chose? ;)
After lunch there was rest time. Campers aren't to leave the cabin from 1 to 2 and the younger kids take a nap and it's counselor free time. We hung out on the cabin porch.
Then was swimtime for group B but I didn't feel like it.
After that was Power Soccer that you played with electric wheelchairs and if you don't have one, they put you in one. but I didn't want to because it looked dangerous so Katie and I just hung out.
That night was awesome, they turned the gym into a saloon with games and Karaoke. I played BlackJack and won a fortune (in candy lol) and I sang "Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman" by Britney Spears and had another dackery. :)

Tuesday
Visitors Day: This is the day when all the MDA sponsors come to camp. We wore our camp shirts and took the Camp Picture in the gym. I was interviewed by the local KNOE station in my area and they showed it this morning and my family and everyone saw it. :)
That night we had a real live pro wrestling match in the gym by the ACW. I had a ringside seat too. The wrestlers were interactive with us and there was a really mean one who insulted the crowd and this little boy a few seats away from me would taunt him back and do little dances and the mean wrestler would mimic him, lol. During the match one of them fell right at my feet and he was in a choke hold so he was kicking up and down touching my shoes with his boots hehe, it was great!

Wednesday
Nascar Day: The whole day was races. We raced all the cars in two Qualifying heats and the major race. The winner recieved a Racecar or a $30 shopping spree. A girl won so she chose shopping and gave the boy who won 2nd the car. She also chose a pizza party for her cabin while leaving him an ice cream party.
That morning my cabin was heading to breakfast when I was accidently hit with a wheelchair on my right ankle by a rookie counselor named Jamie. It left a big blister and the nurses fixed it up.
Also, right before lunch Katie and I were sitting in front of the gym when this electric wheelchair came zooming in front of the building. The counselor chased the camper and the camper haulted, causing Micheal the rookie to flip straight over the chair and roll on the concrete. The camper in the chair started screaming and the staff came and hollered for the nurses. Micheal busted his knuckles and Justin, the camper's, back was sore. :(:(:(

Thursday
Hawaiian day: That morning was Friendship Circle where everybody who wanted to could come up and talk about their experiances. My friend Janna graduated this year so she made a long speech and it was sad.
Open swim was all afternoon but I didn't go because I wanted to get ready for Date Night. It had a Hawaiian theme so I wore a frilly two-toned purple skirt with a lavender shirt, a lae and a clapon bracelet with a big purple flower.
During supper we had barbecue chicken and sausage and baked beans, and had the awards ceremony. Janna won Cabin 5's flag and Katie won Camper's choice for Cabin 5. Micheal, mentioned above, won Best Male Rookie Counselor. :) The dance was great. ^_^

Friday
We came home and my bus was first to leave. (it's usually last) :)