PDA

View Full Version : New to program with idea...

Kinam
06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Ok, sorry if this was covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it listed anywhere to the complexity of what I was thinking of doing ... I have drawn up a map for m'self for a quest I was thinking of creating, and it has a long river in the overworld. The Idea I thougt of last night was making this river red, and after beeting stage 4 (which resides in the lake at the top of the river) making the entire river run clean ... being that it changes to blue ... now, I know that that would be something with flags, if there were such a thing, but would this be possible?

I'm using the latest version (2.10) and was planning on using the default pallet to design with, but may possibly switch over to the BS pallet for looks at a later time, or if I decide it looks better with what I'm planning (it probably will)

If this isn't possible, no biggie, it was just a thought that I thought would be pretty cool for an effect.

zeldafannick
06-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok, sorry if this was covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it listed anywhere to the complexity of what I was thinking of doing ... I have drawn up a map for m'self for a quest I was thinking of creating, and it has a long river in the overworld. The Idea I thougt of last night was making this river red, and after beeting stage 4 (which resides in the lake at the top of the river) making the entire river run clean ... being that it changes to blue ... now, I know that that would be something with flags, if there were such a thing, but would this be possible?

I'm using the latest version (2.10) and was planning on using the default pallet to design with, but may possibly switch over to the BS pallet for looks at a later time, or if I decide it looks better with what I'm planning (it probably will)

If this isn't possible, no biggie, it was just a thought that I thought would be pretty cool for an effect.

it is actually quite simple,but might be a bit of a hassle to explain,so bear with me.put every part of the river,lake,etc. on a seperate dmap from the rest of the overworld.as you said,yes,it involves flags.once those parts are on a seperate dmap,go to one of the river screens.go to quest->graphics->sprites->items,then scroll to Kill All Enemies,then click on edit,then click on an empty space,then ok,enter,yes or whatever.after that,click on data->secret combos->miscellanious(ack i butchered that..).you will see many black spaces.there should be a huge cluster of spaces in a 4X4 square.click on the top-left one.now you will see many tiles.double click on one of your red river tiles and you are back at the square.do those last few steps for every river tile you have.this part is kinda tricky.think of all of those squares you filled out as a square in this grid:
16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

now,click on tools->flags.according to the grid,click the line with that number at the left.then,click ok.now,wherever you want that new red tile to be,left click.when you are done,right click.repeat those last few steps for every tile.now click on data->enemies(not enemy flags).double-click on one of the none's.scroll down to trigger and double-click that.you are going to hate this,but repeat EVERY LAST STEP i said for EVERY LAST screen that will have the red river.

once all of THAT is done,go to the boss room of the temple thingy.click data->item and choose kill all enemies.now,press page down(keyboard).at the bottom of the screen,you should see 5 squares with a picture on each.click the one with the rupee.now,click in front of the doorway to the room you will go to after you fight the boss.arrange it how you like.now,click on data->screen data and check the box that says enemies->item.thats it!now,when you kill the boss and leave the temple,the water will (hopefully) be red.good luck with this.

EDIT:Ya know,now that I think about it,I am not sure if this will work.Why?too complicated to explain.I have an idea,though.after the boss dies,create a warp to an area on the same dmap as the river.then,on the same screen,create a warp to the area outside the temple,but make it to where they HAVE to walk over a Kill all enemies item to get to the warp.If you do THIS method,do NOT include the inside of the temple on the same dmap.Good luck.

Kinam
06-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Thankies ... much appreciation, alot of work, but I'll figure it out ... was thinking of a simpler way, but would actually be ... a bit more complex ... having 2 identical overworlds, just when the exit warp from the one stage, bring you to the second overworld where the water is the way I wanted it (as it starts from 0,1 and straight down to the bottom of the map with a few jogs here and there ... and an "ocean" on the bottom. the problem is I'm trying to make an overworld like LOZ ... actually using LOZ tileset ^^ ... where one could feesably walk everywhere on the overworld map without anything...as long as they're carefull ^^ ... this technique will assist very well ... just going to take a long time ^^

zeldafannick
06-18-2005, 12:11 AM
no problem :D