PDA

View Full Version : I cannot sleep

Great Warrior
06-09-2005, 03:19 AM
I have an important meeting tomorrow and I cannot sleep. I need to wake up early and be fresh in the morning and sleep still eludes me. Do you know of any techniques to fall asleep that work?

Master Ghaleon
06-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Sleeping pill/Nyqull/Liqour

bigjoe
06-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Take your mind off of your inevitable failure by playing highly addictive PC games!

Ganonator
06-09-2005, 03:56 AM
I've been in the situation a handful of times, usually the night before an important school election or the like. What I do is just tell mysef that every other day has not been a problem, and has weighed more than tonight.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Dude...I never sleep. Join the club.

Belgarath
06-09-2005, 05:17 AM
1. Get yourself a bottle of JD.
2. Chug said bottle.
3. Repeat 1.

Toolie
06-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Try not to sleep in until 2pm the day before. You'd be suprised how much that helps.

carrot red
06-09-2005, 12:03 PM
If none of the above work, try using a hammer. : p

That's very common the night before *anything* important. You're lucky if you're able to sleep a wink unless you're not the worrying type. I'm a night owl and I hardly ever sleep 5 hours a night, and that doesn't happen very often.

Glitch
06-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Smoke a bowl.

Cloral
06-09-2005, 01:30 PM
If you figure out anything that works, let me know.

ShadowTiger
06-09-2005, 02:14 PM
If none of the above work, try using a hammer. :p ... I read the first post, thought that exact like precisely, ... then read your post, CR. :p Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Occasionally, reading yourself to sleep will work. Combine that with either hot/warm milk, chamomile tea, (Perhaps) it might work.

IMHO, try something like trying to stay awake during class. Stare at the wall, or at a book, read the same paragraph over and over again, and eventually your eyelids may droop a bit. Try to stay awake as long as possible, but you'll fail quickly.

Great Warrior
06-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Thank you for the advice. Nothing works, I do not think it is a good idea to wake up with a hangover and I will not try the hammer yet. :p
When you want to sleep you cannot do it and when you do your best to stay awake, you fall asleep. I managed to get there on time and go thru it looking not that bad.

mikeron
06-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Smoke a bowl.That's 'ol reliable, but it's easier to start with just getting the fuck off of the internet, since it's kind of rare for the problem to also be the solution.

Mitsukara
06-10-2005, 04:17 AM
I find that I can stay awake until I lay down in bed. Then I don't fall asleep, but if I'm tired at all I'll find myself just laying there, not wanting to move. I can talk myself into doing little things, but I tend to just lay there blankly for several minutes. Then I fall asleep in my clothes, I wake up in the middle of the night hot in my clothes, take them off and go back to sleep, wake up and put my pajamas on and hope no one saw me laying in bed with next to no clothes on.

But maybe I'm just weird ><

I also find if I can't fall asleep laying in bed, sometimes if I eat and drink something, go to the bathroom, and lay back down and return to trying, it works.

Also just making myelf lay there but listening to a CD with headphones makes me go sometimes. That way my mind is occupied, but my body is resting, and eventually the body wins while my mind is distracted and falters.

*shrugs*

goKi
06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Half a bottle of NyQuil works well. Trust me.

firebug
06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Nyquil has a shitload of tylenol in it (look up acetaminaphen overdose). If you're gonna go that route, pug half a bottle of robitussin DM.

Belgarath
06-10-2005, 08:15 PM
No you all have it wrong with the medicine. If your going to go the over the counter route get yourself some Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/drugs_view/0,1524,201,00.html). A 50 mg dose every 4-6 hours is the highest you should go and still be on the safe side. If you take too much you may have a seizure or go into a coma.

You can get it as blue gel-pills at Safeway under the name generic Safeway brand 'Maximum Strength Sleep Aid'. Everything else in it is inert, but you should drink a full glass of water with it. Then lay down and ride the wave.

Toolie
06-10-2005, 08:42 PM
No, goKi is right. But it's the dextromethorphan hydrobromide in half a bottle of Robitussin that will be what puts you to sleep (or trips your mind out) rather than any alcohol.

Assuming you have a 4-oz bottle of normal Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough, half a bottle would equate to roughly 150mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXM HBr). Depending on your body mass and your stomach contents, as well as your tolerance to the drug, you may begin to experience slight psychotropic effects at this level.

Think I'm kidding? There's an entire culture devoted to this (well, not tussin, but the extraction and usage of the hallucinagenic drug they somehow get away with using as an ingrediant - think LSD as a pain reliever). See www.dextroverse.org or run a search for DXM. Sick stuff, really. But anyhow, in a low enough recreational dose (or a high enough medicinal overdose), you should probably drop to sleep rather quickly.

punkonjunk1024
06-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I sleep about 4 hours every night. You get used to it. *shrug* I'm extremely active, and fit, I just can't sleep at night. When I absolutely need to and can't, I play videogames until I pass out. Metroid prime always worked well.

mikeron
06-11-2005, 01:55 AM
You know, I've thought it over, and I've come to the conclusion that we are misidentifying the problem. Instead of worrying about sleep, you should worry about being tired. SOLUTION (http://www.modafinil.com/structure/index.html).

Carcer
06-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Surely if you just go to bed and rest, that will be enough?
In my experience, if I can't sleep, it means I don't need to. I prefer to sleep, however, so I just rest and sort of... doze. Try reading a book for five and half hours, then you'll either sleep, or just be rested. If, in the morning, you find yourself tired, then the solution is simple: Coffee. This is why I don't care about sleeping, because the wonders of caffeine are always at hand.

And if you get desperate to sleep, the chemicals don't work, the alchohol is gone and the hammer breaks, you could always try Chloroform.

mikeron
06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
And if you get desperate to sleep, the chemicals don't work, the alchohol is gone and the hammer breaks, you could always try Chloroform.That's reserved for Saturday night in the park.

punkonjunk1024
06-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok... so if you cloroformed yourself...
Chances are, you'd fall backwords, if you were standing up. But however you do it, theres a good chance that the cloroform would land on or near your nose and mouth... Meaning...
Wouldn't you die?
Also, is there any way you can actually BUY cloroform, or is it like, sheerly videogames only?
If you could, it'd be an awesome pranking tool.
In a room with more than one other person...
"does this shirt smell like BO to you?"
*passes out*
"...I guess its pretty bad."
*shrug*